Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spain squad for World Cup finals
MADRID, May 13 (AFP)
Spain coach Jose Antonio Camacho on Monday named the following 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Korea and Japan from May 31-June 30:

Goalkeepers: Santiago Canizares (Valencia), Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Ricardo Lopez (Valladolid)

Defenders: Curro Torres (Valencia), Fernando Hierro (Real Madrid), Miguel Angel Nadal (Real Mallorca), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanfran Garcia (Celta Vigo), Enrique Romero (Deportivo La Coruna)

Midfielders: David Albelda (Valencia), Ruben Baraja (Valencia), Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid), Luis Enrique Martinez (Barcelona), Gaizka Mendieta (Lazio/Ita), Sergio Gonzalez (Deportivo La Coruna), Juan Carlos Valeron (Deportivo La Coruna), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona)

Strikers: Francisco De Pedro (Real Sociedad), Alberto Luque (Real Mallorca), Fernando Morientes (Real Madrid), Raul Gonzalez (Real Madrid), Joaquin Sanchez (Real Betis), Diego Tristan (Deportivo La Coruna).

Hala España !!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
:rolleyes:

5 defensive midfielders? :wth:

and he is seriously taking Ricardo Lopez? Albelda? Torres? Romero? De Pedro? :rollani: :eekani:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
No Salgado,Vicente or Munitis

Well, Camacho did finnally listen to me and take Luque, you have to admit, that is probably his brightest light. This side will be excellent except for the left-mid and CD. We could easilly run a 3-4-3, that could be our best but we could become open at the back. Anyway, this is my IN-FORM starting 11:
GK:Cani
DF:puyol,Helguera,Hierro,Romero
MF:Joaquin,Valeron,Baraja,LE21
FW:Tristan,Raul

This is what I would play right now.

P.S:See you guys in a week, I am going to paris. Hope to bring back pics of the France-Belgium game if there are tickets still left but I guess i'll post pics of the trip anyway (if any of you give a damn:rolleyes: :D )

·
94,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vampire Lestat said:

Ricardo Lopez? Albelda? Torres? Romero? De Pedro? :rollani: :eekani:
He's going to DEFEND Spain's Honor in the Orient !!! :smileani:

·
94,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two surprises in Camacho's squad

MADRID, May 13 (AFP)

Spanish coach Jose Antonio Camacho sprung two surprises here on Monday when he named his 23-man squad for the World Cup finals.
Few pundits had predicted that he would opt for Deportivo La Coruna defender Enrique Romero or Real Mallorca striker Alberto Luque.
Romero is recalled after being absent from Camacho's plans for much of the season, while Luque is uncapped but rewarded for his 14 Spanish league goals this season, which kept his Balearic island club in the Spanish first division.
Camacho had otherwise made his intentions clear last month when he said that the 18 men he had brought together to face Northern Ireland in their last international friendly before departing for Korea, which Spain won 5-0 in Belfast, would form the core of his squad.
"We are going to fight to win this World Cup," Camacho told Spanish reporters on Monday, before the squad announcement.
"Like I always say, until now we have won nothing. However, we are going to try and break a tradition of 50 years," added Camacho, well aware of Spain's reputation of under-performing on the global stage.
Spain has often been among the favourites prior to embarking on World Cup campaigns but its best ever finish has been fourth in 1950.
The biggest debate prior to Monday's announcement had concerned who would be Spain's reserve goalkeepers to Valencia's Santiago Canizares.
Real Madrid's Iker Casillas retains his number two spot, despite being on the bench at his club since early March.
Camacho said last week that Real Madrid current first-choice Cesar Sanchez was not part of his World Cup plans despite the fact that he has international experience and it was Valladolid's Ricardo Lopez who was chosen as Spain's third goalkeeper, beating out other possible contenders including Deportivo's in-form Francisco Molina, who Camacho has not considered since his blunders in Spain's opening match at Euro 2000.
The most experienced member of the squad is the 34-year-old Real Madrid captain Fernando Hierro, who has played for his country 85 times.
Hierro was part of the Spanish squads that went to the last two World Cup finals, as were Canizares, Real Mallorca defender Miguel Angel Nadal and Barcelona midfielder Luis Enrique Martinez, the four men over the age of 30 in the Spanish squad.
However, there are only six survivors from the France 98 squad, the four veterans from USA 94 and also Real Madrid strikers Fernando Morientes and Raul Gonzalez, an indication of how much Camacho has stamped his own imprint on Spanish selections since he took over in September 1998.
Camacho has drawn his squad from nine different Spanish teams and as well as remaining loyal to former Valencia midfielder Gaizka Mendieta, whose form has dropped since he moved to Italian side Lazio last summer.
Real Madrid are the most heavily represented side in the squad with five players expected to be departing for Korea on Saturday.
However, Camacho said he would be watching Real's European Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday with trepidation, hoping that he will not have to make any of the injury-induced last-minute changes to his squad that have beleaguered the England, Belgian and United States coaches in the last few days.

www.dailysoccer.com

;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:

and he is seriously taking Ricardo Lopez? Albelda? Torres? Romero? De Pedro? :rollani: :eekani:
Add Casillas to that list as well. I don't mind Albelda too much although he seems a card liability. I'm not sure if there was any other choices besides Romero and Torres for their respective positions. Casillas and Ricardo should've been left off for other, better keepers. Also Vicente should've gone.

Really this list is not surprising in the least. It's practically the same one that Camacho put out a couple of weeks ago. All I got to say for the team is that it is slow. Except for perhaps Joaquin it might be the slowest team at the World Cup.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
For once I'm happy with Camacho:cool:

He's taken some serious risks with this squad, but it was the only way to go:hopefull:
Doesn't take a single alternative for the 2 central defenders, instead opts to use the multipositional players as back-up (Romero, Helguera and Puyol). It's clear Camacho has decided there's no need to call up crap alternatives to the 2 already questionable DC's, when instead he can call up quality back-up in other positions and move the starters from those positions to act as DC's.
Really brave move, and I'm happy to see it...

cause this has freed up places in the midfield formation, where there's way more talent on hand:star: Unfortunately Camacho hasn't used this free space, he himself created, too wisely (there's no other way to call it, when you take 5 players for 1 position = DM's of course:eek:). But still, Spain now has plenty of options, and a Xavi will always be a better starting DM with Helguera moved back to a DC role, rather than Xavi as back-up for Helguera, and Unai featuring in the DC spot:rolleyes:
I'm very glad to see Sergio on the team, and his and Xavi's inclusion were the two surprises for me. Too bad Xavi get's chosen as the 5th DM, instead of Fran, Vicente or Victor, but still, this isn't as bad as naming a Unai for the team:devil:

Luque getting chosen over Munitis really calls for optimism, although I'm pretty sure the reason for the decision wasn't personal, just that Camacho couldn't choose Munitis, who afterall is a leftwinger in reality, because that would make the selection of the midfield way too congested and would spring debates, in the eventuality of catastrophe;) This way he takes a natural striker - much more simple.

I agree the team is a bit slow, but there's always Puyol, Juanfran and Joaquin:hopefull: The creative part of the midfield should be centered around Valeron, Sergio and Diego Tristan, who understand each other perfectly from Deportivo, whilst the destructive part needs to be focused around Baraja (and Albelda, if he plays). Choosing the attacking or defensive formation depends very much on the rival, but I really, really am happy, because there's a lot of options this squad presents, and with a little bit of luck, and intelligence from Camacho it can be utilized superbly.

The goalkeepers' are really a bit academic. We all knew Cani and Iker were coming, and it was just down to that 3rd spot. It's highly unlikely Ricardo will play anyway, so no need for the fuss, and pointless debates as to who should've went etc.

All in all it's definitely more optimistic, than the crap Camacho took along to Euro2000:eek:
Sergi's and Guardiola's injuries have been true blessings to this squad:proud:

Spain are looking good, if you ask me:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i m surprised that vicente didn't make it... :rolleyes: what's up with camacho's mind??? :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmmm

alright, time fo Mallorquin's view!

First, it is surprising to see Luque, no doubt I knew sooner or later he would feature in the team, but I was expecting him to be a part of perhaps the EURO 2004 team (or at least qualifiers) however, he has not played one friendly for the #1 (seleccion absoluta) and this brings some doubts....although many of us can complain about certain positions, many of those who I choose that would be vital to the team (especially JuanFran and Albelda)
are there, so I am happy in this aspect. It is a shame that throughout the qualifiers and friendlies, Camacho didnt give others a chance in that central defence.

Dont listen to those morons who criticize Spain in this position,
we know that Sergio, Nino Cesar, Varela, Lopo, Marchena are some of the great names who will have a future with the team, but why not now? Couldnt Camacho at least try one of these men or another instead of only saying "Nadal and Hierro and nothing else"

Anyhow, I am somewhat satisfied. Although I too believe Vicente
could have been something special, also VIctor of Deportivo (who
is #1 in assists in his team) or even Victor of Villarreal, (for that 4th forward spot) I have no serious complaints, except for Casillas. Unlike some, I dont have problems with Canizares or even Ricardo, but Casillas is simply not for this level yet, at least in my opinion. There are so many better options that Camacho has ignored.

Let me put it this way: It is a good enough team to win the World Cup.

One thing that is debatable is fan presence in Asia. I do not think
many of our people will travel to these nations and pay outrageous amounts for a stay there, so it seems our support will likely come from certain "diplomats"....perhaps Spanish students, international reps & workers....

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Juanele,

You have a point about Iker, since he hasn't played much in the past couple of months. However, Cani is really the only better GK in Spain in my opinion.

Prats should have been the third choice IMO.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Right I have commented on this in another thread but will delete that soon;)

I am happy in many ways but am pissed off in other positions... I'm glad that Cesar and Molina were ignored... I have no time for either of them and think that they would have been liabilities... Prats could have been an option but I doubt that it matters.
Canizares is by far the best and barring injuries will play all the matches anyway!

The defence is a problem but in all realism what is to be expected? I agree with Curro over Salgado as the former is much better defensively and the latter just has not done 'it' on a consistent basis for a long time.

Camacho has not tested any other players in the centre so what is left is a batch of players who may be able to do it but ultimately are inexperienced

The decision that pisses me off the most is Xavi's inclusion!!! What the phuck is this all about... on one hand we have other players in the squad who can do what he does but better so why could Vicente not be picked. I know that it may be getting old but this is shockingly ****e!:( De Pedro could even stay... bloody hell...

Apart from that the midfield is fine... Albeda should be there definately, I have no idea how people can dcebate this

and the forwards are what it should be... I was so happy that Luque was called up... the man deserves it more than Munitis:)

So it looks like a diamond formation will be employed... Helguera looks like partnering Hierro leaving the defensive midfielder position to Baraja. Mendietta and LE21 will start ahead of Braja and behind Valeron but with this in mind it leaves the question about width...

I feel that Joaquin and De Pedro will be on the bench but brought on if things look stale...

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
The problem with your team is that it has no true wingers. That will be very difficult to impose, especially now, when most teams center their attacks down the wings:eek:

Joaquin and De Pedro are the only 2 true wingers Spain have on the team, so I'm pretty baffled. Anyone willing to make a bet on what the starting line-up for the midfield will actually be?:confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cassillas..

Why r u people talking like that about Cassillas.yesterday he has proved his real value to all of u .he has made three outstanding saves which proves that there were no reason to left him in the bench 4 all this time .He is a very good Goal keeper and his good performance yesterday was message to all of u.i hope we stop talking about selection right now.we will not change anything.we must support our players coz they r really good.

Hala España !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
well lets hope casillas plays well because canizares is out after a freak accident

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yeah, Canizares will be out of the world cup after a bottle of aftershave fell onto his foot and did a lot of damage. Casillas :star: will be taking the no.1 spot.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Re: Cassillas..

Hierro said:
...yesterday he has proved his real value to all of u ...
A night's performance doesn't warrant you a place in the NT that easily. Casillas still got a lot to prove and improvements in many areas.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
labas said:
The problem with your team is that it has no true wingers. That will be very difficult to impose, especially now, when most teams center their attacks down the wings:eek:

Joaquin and De Pedro are the only 2 true wingers Spain have on the team, so I'm pretty baffled.
I agree 100% with you and would rather that Vicente was in instaed of LE but what can I do? this is not possible and with all due respect to De Pedro he has not proven his worth yet.

Maybe Joaquin can start on the right instead of Mendietta but with LE on the other side the team will ultimately looked unbalanced. As I said I think that the wingers are there to be used as subs and I'm a little sceptical of this but I can see no other formation being used by Camacho:(

Man why did he shoot himself in the foot so bad:(

Speaking of which seems I should shut my mouth about Canizares playing all the game:(... man that's a big loss

And after Canizares I think that Casillas is the best... but the gk position may be the big problem of the WC now for Spain:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts