Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the one saying it. It's from the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS), a German group, so you know everything has been calculated correctly. ;) Their ratings make more sense than FIFA's, that's for sure. So this puts an end to all discussions. :)

The Strongest National League of the World 2003
Die stärkste Liga der Welt 2003
La Mejor Liga de Fútbol del Mundo 2003
Le Meilleur Championnat National du Monde 2003

by IFFHS

1. Italia 1180,0
2. España 1107,0
3. England 1052,0
4. Brasil 1026,0
5. Argentina 882,0
6. France 817,0
7. Deutschland 783,0
8. Nederland 741,5
9. Portugal 709,5
10. Scotland 688,5
11. Greece 636,5
12. Colombia 634,0
13. Türkiye 612,5
14. Ceská Republika 601,0
15. Belgique 589,5
16. México 555,0
17. Perú 544,5
18. Chile 505,5
19. Uruguay 486,0
20. Russia 485,5
21. Paraguay 463,5
22. Danmark 458,0
23. Ukraina 434,5
24. Bulgaria 422,0
25. Schweiz 413,5
26. Croatia 413,0
27. Egypt 407,5
28. Magyarország 401,5
29. Srbija i Crna Gora 396,5
30. Polska 395,0
31. Norge 390,5
32. Nigeria 389,5
33. Ecuador 388,0
34. Maroc 381,0
35. Bolivia 373,0
Cameroun 373,0
37. Tunesia 369,0
38. Israel 367,0
39. Korea (S) 362,0
40. Österreich 359,0
41. România 346,0
42. Slovensko 335,0
43. Uzbekistan 325,0
44. Slowenien 322,0
45. Zambia 321,0
46. Algeria 315,0
47. Australia 306,0
48. Suomi 297,0
49. Éire 289,5
50. Saudi Arabia 284,5

The Italian Serie A is again the best League in the World!

Since 1991 the strongest leagues in the world have been determined annually - in a totally objective way - by using the sole principle of the Club World Ranking, which includes all national and international results from 1st January to 31st December. This principle has proved to be a very sensitive indicator of the relevant standard and performance of the leagues. The most important features of the 2003 ranking are as follows:

1) Italy's Serie A, after a 3-year-break, is again the strongest league of the world, for the 9th time in total. The Spanish Primera División lost its top spot after 3 years, principally because of the weakness of the FC Barcelona. If "Barça" had achieved their average total over the previous years, the Spanish league would be still top.

2) For the first time in more than hundred years a recognized championship league was organized in Brazil. This development draws together the most powerful teams and an increase in performance is to be expected. But the real increase in the performance of the Brazilian Serie A should be only become discernible at the end of 2004. Although many hundreds of Brazilians and Argentineans play in foreign countries, their home leagues remain extremely strong.

3) The drop in the performance of the German Bundesliga, which only just hangs on to last place of the so-called "Top seven", is marked. The French Première has caught up far more than the figures show. Matches involving teams from these two leagues invariably saw the French teams come out the better in every case. Yet the German Bundesliga has the highest percentage of foreign players.

4) The leagues from the Netherlands, Portugal and Scotland improved their performances and returned to the "Top ten"; the Greek, Czech, Mexican and Chilean leagues all lost out on performances. Nevertheless, all the national leagues in the 2nd best group on performance take the 8-21 places en bloc. So there is no relegation or promotion between the three top groups on performance.

5) Denmark (22nd) leads the 3rd best group on performance; the Norwegians and Finns have improved while the Swedish Allsvenska (52nd) slid out of the "Top 50" for the 1st time. National leagues showing positive movement are those from Croatia, Hungary, Nigeria, Morocco, Cameroon, Tunisia, Slovenia, Zambia and Eire, but those from Israel, Austria, Algeria, Costa Rica, Iran, Japan, South Africa, Iraq and India dropped back. Among the "Top 50" are 2003 seven new national leagues.
http://www.iffhs.de/

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
jern

i was wondering any chance of getting A LONGER singature...this one is bigger then your last 50 posts combined :D

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
I have always thought that serie A was the best league in Europe together with la Liga.

Yet, I wonder how the people of IFFHS (Irreparably Far From a Hint of Soccer) can put all the leagues in a ranking since the European and South American clubs meet once a year, European and the other continents never in official games. Misteries of IFFHS...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Where the hell is Sweden?

Anyway i agree that Serie A is the best. we don't need a million of foreigners to improve pur standards like the EPL for example.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Andy Christ said:
I agree that Serie A is the strongest league in the world.But this kind of table is rather pointless.There is no credible way to compare clubs from different continents.
When these clubs play each other, I would say that is the best way to compare them. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
We allready knew this!:eek:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Doesn't make a difference to me if Serie A is crowned officially. It will always be the best league for me. :star: :stuckup:

·
International
9,526 Posts
nasty nick said:
Where the hell is Sweden?

Anyway i agree that Serie A is the best. we don't need a million of foreigners to improve pur standards like the EPL for example.
Serie A's standing is built on the back of foreign talent...when the Foreign player ban was on Serie A won.....nothing.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
And the EPL's standing is based on domestic talents, right? :howler:

Make a list of 2 top 11 sides and the Serie A teams will be dominated by Italians. I dont think that can be said of the EPL teams for English players.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Serie A's standing is built on the back of foreign talent...when the Foreign player ban was on Serie A won.....nothing.
I wouldn't worry so much about the way Serie A was built. Englands grass roots are not growing because of foreign talent, Man United that use to have lots of British players has turned into a band of foreigners and every year the band becomes more diverse then ever before...Chelsea...Arsenal...have been at for a good few years.

Liverpool has some English talent...so does Newcastle...but over all there is a growing trend of buying in foreign talent rather then buy in some domestic footballers...

EPL is now a magnet for foreign talent like flies to shit.

·
International
9,526 Posts
polaris said:
And the EPL's standing is based on domestic talents, right? :howler:

Make a list of 2 top 11 sides and the Serie A teams will be dominated by Italians. I dont think that can be said of the EPL teams for English players.
no Serie A side has ever won a trophy without the help of foreign players.....you only have to look at Serie As dismal showing during the 70s and early 80s when they had to rely on domestic talent, to guage how well 'all Italian' teams perform on the international stage. England's success in the 60s, 70s and 80s was indeed built on the back of British talent. Without your Brazilians, Argentinians, Dutch etc down the years, however, Serie A would be nothing at international level.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
no Serie A side has ever won a trophy without the help of foreign players.....you only have to look at Serie As dismal showing during the 70s and early 80s when they had to rely on domestic talent, to guage how well 'all Italian' teams perform on the international stage. England's success in the 60s, 70s and 80s was indeed built on the back of British talent. Without your Brazilians, Argentinians, Dutch etc down the years, however, Serie A would be nothing at international level.
British players not English....;) so techincally aren't they foreigners also, since they play in England but aren't English? Saying they are British is like saying someone is European.

Why is it that they are only considered British when and English fan needs to strengthen his arguement, but rejected otherwise?

Italians can actually bring Argentinians into it since technically Italy has embraced Argentinians in the same way that the English embrace the Welsh...Scots...and Irish. After all Italy won 2 World Cups with Argintinians...we allow Argentinians access to our precious and very desirable passports a la Veron, allow a steady flow of migration of Argentinians into Italy and give them citizenship...a la Camorenesi and the list goes on up to pre-1900's...

·
International
9,526 Posts
GaGa said:
British players not English....;) so techincally aren't they foreigners also, since they play in England but aren't English? Saying they are British is like saying someone is European.

Why is it that they are only considered British when and English fan needs to strengthen his arguement, but rejected otherwise?

Italians can actually bring Argentinians into it since technically Italy has embraced Argentinians in the same way that the English embrace the Welsh...Scots...and Irish. After all Italy won 2 World Cups with Argintinians...we allow Argentinians access to our precious and very desirable passports a la Veron, allow a steady flow of migration of Argentinians into Italy and give them citizenship...a la Camorenesi and the list goes on up to pre-1900's...
Britain is political and cultural entity. I've never rejected other subjects of the United Kingdom based on regional divisions. Thats just your generalisation. And saying someone is British is not like saying someone is European, believe me.

An Argentinian and an Italian, however, do not enjoy a similar relationship. They are from two entirely different cultures, do not share a similar language unless they are bilingual and may not even have a shared ancestry (i.e. Argentinian with an Italian background). The English on the other hand are a mixed breed, with most people from the larger cities sharing common ancestry with the Irish, Welsh and Scottish, along with a common language.

This is all by the by. Celtic won the European Cup with an All Scottish team. Aston Villa won the European Cup with an all English team. And the rest (with the exception of United in the 90s) won it with a mixture of English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh which is pretty impressive.

This does not imply a need of millions of foreign players from the continent or south america which was the implication from some idiot in this thread, who also seemed to think that Serie A was blessed with an abundance of domestic talent when, in fact, its no better than most places and never really has been.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts