Xtratime Community banner

Official Rumours/Transfer News Thread

198K views 4K replies 268 participants last post by  Boyo 
#1 ·
Here we go again:)

This is the place to post your latest verified news regarding players transfers from/to Lazio:)

The mercatto is just arounf the corner, and we already have some strong suggestions about possible new arrivals.

Like Veron, who spends more time in Rome than Manchester:D. Apparently, he is in Rome as i write this lines. Apparently, for medical attention of Lazio doctors. Giess there are no Doctors in Manchester? yeah, right:D

Welcome to the official transfer news/rumors thread part 3:)

#2 ·
I guess i have to start the thread too?;):D

Veron more in Rome than in Manchester Posted April 3, 2002 - 15:38 by Mattias

Veron's future at Manchester United will be in doubt yet again after the Argentinian midfielder was seen at Lazio's Formello training ground on Tuesday. As his team-mates produced a magnificent performance in Spain to defeat Deportivo La Coruna 2-0, United's record signing headed for Rome, presumably with the chief aim of receiving treatment on an Achilles problem. Although he played, and scored, for Argentina in their draw with Cameroon last week, Veron has not featured for the Premiership champions since being substituted after his error gifted Middlesbrough a victory which looks like going a large way to costing Sir Alex Ferguson's side another title.

Rumours in England suggested that the South American had been spotted at an airport boarding a train to Rome, and Italian sources have confirmed this information. The 26-year-old arrived at Formello with close pal Hernan Crespo, himself said to be a target for United, and reportedly spoke with Massimo Cragnotti.

The official line is that Veron was receiving treatment from Lazio doctors, whom have looked after him in the past, and is perhaps feasible, but there seems no reason to ignore the extensive medical attention available at Old Trafford. Argentinian sources claim Veron has Ferguson's approval to link up with Lazio physio Andrea Campi and to remain under his supervision for four or five days in the Italian capital.

However, with Crespo now admitting he wants to stay at Stadio Olimpico, the constant speculation concerning a summer return for his friend will continue unabated. "I remain with Lazio," Crespo affirmed. "I want to win the World Cup with Argentina and then I will return to play in this shirt. "I am very well in Rome and have no intention of moving. "Cragnotti will construct a great Lazio side."

As separate rumours claim Veron was the subject of a furious outburst from Red Devils skipper Roy Keane, following his mistake against Middlesbrough, the future of United's biggest-ever signing remains shrouded in doubt. The Old Trafford faithful, as a whole, would prefer the exceptionally gifted midfielder to be given another year to adapt to the English game and show his undisputed class.

However, the regular returns to Rome are not helping the player's bid to truly work his way into the hearts of the United supporters, nor has his recent form aided his cause after a terrific opening to his Red Devils career. With Roy Keane and David Beckham nursing injuries after the Riazor success on Tuesday, Ferguson needs Veron ready, focused and committed to the cause of helping the side chase success on two fronts.

planetfootball

#4 ·
Van Bommel's yes today

In the afternoon should arrive the Dutch midfiedler yer to his transfer to Lazio with a four year contract offered by Cragnotti. No problem with PSV Eindhoven: there is an agreement for 20 millions euro. Van Bommel will get 3,5 millions euro per season.

#5 ·
Heavy transfer rumours

Seems like it was a good idea to open up a new transfer thread, Aca, as the transfer rumours has gone ballistic today...

As Lazio directors are in Eindhoven to finalize the deal with PSV midfielder Van Bommel, they are also looking at 23 year old PSV right winger Dennis Rommedahl, who has had a good season and also plays for the Danish national teams.

Other rumours suggest that Lazio is also looking at Ajax right winger Andy van der Meyde, 22, a very skillfull player. Perugias Brazilian defender Ze Maria, who was close to Lazio earlier this year, is now reportedly again a target for Lazio.

#6 ·
Fiore targets UEFA Cup spot Thursday 4 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stefano Fiore believes that Lazio have no chance of qualifying for the Champions’ League this season.

The Biancocelesti still have a mathematical chance of finishing in the top four but with just five games to go it is looking highly unlikely.

"At Lazio it is better to not start making any calculations. We are taking each game as it comes from now on. Qualifying for the Champions’ League is almost impossible so we are just hoping for a UEFA Cup place," he said.

The Olimpico outfit have had a disastrous campaign in which their season was effectively over by Christmas following their exit from Europe and poor form in the Scudetto race.

However, things have picked up of late for both Fiore and the side following the 1-1 draw at Juventus on Saturday.

"On a personal level I’m a lot happier than a few months back," added Fiore. "Even if I hope that this unfortunate season can quickly draw to an end."

Meanwhile, transfer talk suggests that Roberto Muzzi will join the side from Udinese this summer for £7m and the loan signing of Lucas Castroman.

Speculation also suggests that Inter are ready to offer Lazio cash and Ivan Cordoba in exchange for Dutch international Jaap Stam. The latter had recently stated that he would only consider a move to an Italian or Dutch side.

channel4

#7 ·
Lazio to make Ljungberg move

Lazio to make Ljungberg move Friday 5 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capital outfit Lazio are set to make a bid for Arsenal midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg according to reports in Sweden.

National newspaper ‘Expressen’ claims that primary talks have already taken place between the two clubs and that a bid is set to be tabled.

Ljungberg has caught the attention of a number of Italian sides this season, especially with his performances in the Champions’ League.

The 24-year-old has been with the Gunners for the past four seasons and is seen as a perfect replacement for wingers Karel Poborsky and Lucas Castroman who are set to both quit the Italian side this summer.

The international regular had also been a target for Juventus and boss Marcello Lippi following his display in the 3-1 win over the Bianconeri at Highbury earlier this term.

The only stumbling block is claimed to be if Lazio fail to qualify for European competition next season.

The Biancocelesti are already believed to have made offers for PSV star Mark Van Bommel and Olivier Dacourt of Leeds.

#8 ·
Marcio Amoroso is a familiar face to Italian football fans, but his hat-trick against Milan this week could make him a household name again.

The former Parma and Udinese star striker netted three of Borussia Dortmund’s four goals in the UEFA Cup Semi-Final drubbing of the Rossoneri on Thursday evening.

Now Juventus and Lazio have been reminded of the talent that once topped the Serie A scorers charts and are preparing bids to take the Brazilian back to the Peninsula.

The Bianconeri are said to be favourites due to strong trade links already in place with the German club.

However, Amoroso could be tempted by Lazio as he would find his old Udinese Coach Alberto Zaccheroni on the bench.

The Biancocelesti are also searching for new strikers as Claudio Lopez, Simone Inzaghi and Hernan Crespo are rumoured to be on the market.

#9 ·
Friday, April 5, 2002
Veron would only go back to Lazio

ROME, April 5 (Reuters) - Juan Sebastian Veron says he is happy at Manchester United and that only his former club Lazio could ever tempt him back to play in Italian football.
The Argentine midfielder, currently in Rome to receive treatment for an Achilles tendon injury, joined United from Lazio last summer for 28 million pounds (40 million dollars).

'I would return to Italy only to play for Lazio,' Veron was quoted as saying in Friday's Corriere Dello Sport.

'I don't really see myself in any other shirt. But now I have a contract with Manchester United and I have respect for (Alex) Ferguson and the English directors.'

Veron is seen as the saviour of the club by Lazio's frustrated fans, who have watched a season of disappointment, and the Argentine was cheered when he was last seen at the Stadio Olimpico in February.

'It was lovely but I was not surprised,' he told the Rome-based paper. 'The Lazio public have always shown me great affection and Rome has left a great impression on me as a footballer and as a man.'

Veron helped Lazio to the Italian League and Cup double in 2000 under then coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, now manager of England.

He dismissed reports of disagreements in the United locker-room, saying: 'It's not easy to find such a compact group and I feel at ease here.

'I feel a bit better and I hope to return soon to help United. I will stay in Rome until Sunday and perhaps go and watch the game between Lazio and Lecce.'

Ferguson is hoping that Veron, who missed the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Deportivo Coruna on Tuesday, will be able to make the second leg next Wednesday.

United, who will look to build on their 2-0 lead, will be without Veron's fellow midfielders Roy Keane and Paul Scholes through injury and suspension, while a third, David Beckham, is an injury doubt with a badly bruised ankle.

soccernet.com

#11 ·
This sounds interesting ;)

Lazio have contacted Maccarone Posted April 8, 2002 - 11:00 by Mattias

Empoli have no chance of holding on to star striker Massimo Maccarone according to his agent.

The Under-21 international, who actually made his full senior debut in the 2-1 win over England recently, is currently the hottest property in Serie B and looks set to join one of the giants of the Italian game.

"Massimo will definitely leave Empoli at the end of the season," said Silvano Martina. "The side won’t be able to keep hold of him and a minimum asking price of £7m has already been set."

Maccarone has been strongly linked with Roma and Juventus but Martina was more precise about his possible destination.

"In Italy he is of interest to Roma, Parma and Lazio who have all contacted Empoli to enquire about his transfer fee. And Chelsea have also expressed an interest and they are set to make a bid soon.

"Milan too are following him and therefore I’ll confirm that there is no possibility that Massimo will continue to play for Empoli after this summer."

The Tuscan outfit were hoping to keep the striker if they managed to maintain their promotion pace and win a place in Serie A next season.

footballitalia

#12 ·
Lazio linked with Ranieri

Lazio are latest club to be linked with Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri. After the revelation that the Roman-born boss has already talked to Barcelona, Lazio now see him as a long-term replacement for Alberto Zaccheroni.

channel4

#13 ·
Atletico line up Lazio quartet Monday 8 April, 2002

There could be a mass exodus of Lazio players to Atletico Madrid this summer. Up to four members of the capital squad are reportedly being chased by the Spanish side.

Argentine Diego Simeone (pictured), who returned to first team action after injury against Lecce on Sunday, has openly admitted in the past that he would like to return to Atletico.

And with Olivier Dacourt of Leeds and PSV star Mark Van Bommel both wanted by Lazio, the former Inter midfielder is set to leave the Olimpico.

Full-back Giuseppe Favalli is also being linked with the Spaniards as are Claudio Lopez and Gaizka Mendieta.

Lopez, even though he wants to stay, is expected to be cashed in on after two disappointing seasons since his move from Valencia.

While £29m signing Mendieta is arguably the flop of the season after failing to settle in the Italian game. The latter had also been linked with both Milan sides but wants a return to his homeland.

channel4

#14 ·
Lazio Blocks Van Der Meyde

Mentre trestano poche le possibilita' di arrivare al francese del Leeds Olivier Dacourt, la Lazio ha ottenuto un diritto di prelazione sul Van der Meyde, esterno destro dell?Ajax. Due agenti Gea hanno avuto un colloquio con Van Praag, presidente del club olandese. (Corriere dello Sport)

Good news coming from CDS. Lazio blocks Van Der Meyde from Ajax cause they have given up Dacourt, good choise. This guy will be something special for sure, hopefully he'll get signed too.

#15 ·
Rumours are going crazy right now. Trapattoni is again linked with Lazio and the rumours are becoming more and more insisting. However, general manager Massimo Cragnotti denied it and said that Zaccheroni will stay at Lazio, when talking to a Roman radiostation. An among other things Massimo said this: "Don't make me look as a fool."

Well I've got news for you, Massimo. You are already a fool, so nothing is due to change there. :D

Simeone stated yesterday his desire to remain at Lazio. :happy:

#16 · (Edited)
Whoever moved my topic to this spam rumour article thread, what's your problem? I know there was a Transfer/Rumour thread but decided to make a separate thread just like i did in the Parma/Milan and Juve forum. But there's always trouble here lately, Mods keep on Merging thread after thread into some silly mix of crap.

It could be good with rumour threads, BUT don't move every god damn thread you find on the forum to that one. 1. People have the right to post threads if the like without Moderators merging them constantly. 2. Transfer/Rumour Thread have a lack of good discussions 3. They are often huge so it's diffucult to find what you're looking for. So please don't move any good separate threads that could cause some discussions in the future, thank you!

Damn i miss the old times where we still had the freedom of speech around here.

#17 · (Edited)
I am sorry you feel that way, Nick. Yes it was me who moved your thread. I see your point and it is duely noticed, but how on Earth are we to decide what is a good transfer rumour and what is not? That's why I moved it. I suggest, that if you want to discuss this certain issue about van der Meyde, make a thread with another title, so it's more open for discussion.

#18 ·
Bolton still want Sinisa

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is set to try and resurrect the deal to bring Lazio’s Sinisa Mihajlovic to Bolton. The Trotters’ boss tried to sign the Yugoslavian defender last month but could not conclude the deal as Mihajlovic was in Brazil. "When a player of his international quality is available you have to be interested," says Allardyce.

channel4

#19 ·
Lazio discuss Davids deal Tuesday 9 April, 2002

Lazio representatives met with Juventus General Director Luciano Moggi this afternoon to discuss Edgar Davids’ proposed move to the Capital.

According to reports the lunch meeting was held at 13.30 in a Roman hotel. Moggi and his son, Gea agent Alessandro, Lazio President Sergio Cragnotti and General Director Massimo Cragnotti were present.

The rumour linking Davids to the Biancocelesti has been circulating in the press for several months, although a Premiership move has also been considered following interest from Arsenal and Liverpool.

It is believed that Lazio will offer former Udinese midfielder Giuliano Giannichedda in part-exchange for the Dutch international.

However, the Bianconeri are also interested in Lazio stars Alessandro Nesta and Hernan Crespo. Gea, the agency of which Alessandro Moggi is a member, represents captain Nesta.

Lazio took the pair off the market last month, but offers continue to come in.

Meanwhile, Massimo Cragnotti also revealed the background to their latest moves on the transfer market.

“The next week will be decisive for Mark Van Bommel and Olivier Dacourt,” commented the General Director. “In any case, should I give a percentage on the outcome then I am more optimistic on successfully signing the Leeds United midfielder.”

“Alberto Zaccheroni will be the Coach next season as well,” he explained to Radio RSA, “even if we do not qualify for Europe. This decision was made along with the President, directors and the entire staff.”

The club had been linked with a tempting move for current Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni should the Azzurri not win the World Cup this summer.

“All stories linking Lazio with Trapattoni or Atalanta midfielder Cristiano Doni are false,” assured Cragnotti. “Zaccheroni has signed a three-year contract with us and our plans for the future are solid.”

channel4

#20 ·
Lazio Cling To Hopes Of Signing Leeds' Combative Dacourt
News Archive

04/09/2002. Lazio's general manager Massimo Cragnotti still believes that a deal to bring Olivier Dacourt from Leeds Utd to the Olimpico is possible. The former Italian champions claim they have a verbal agreement with the French midfielder and Leeds' chairman Peter Ridsdale has confirmed that contact has been made.

Leeds need to sell in the close and Dacourt will probably be allowed to leave to balance the books especially if the club fails to make the cut for the Champions League.

"Next week will be crucial to our hopes," Cragnotti said. "But I must say that I'm much more hopeful of signing Dacourt than our other target Mark Van Bommel."

soccerage

#21 ·
laziali said:
I am sorry you feel that way, Nick. Yes it was me who moved your thread. I see your point and it is duely noticed, but how on Earth are we to decide what is a good transfer rumour and what is not? That's why I moved it. I suggest, that if you want to discuss this certain issue about van der Meyde, make a thread with another title, so it's more open for discussion.

Now why do you have to remove every transfer rumour at all? aren't we allowed to discuss them in separate topics in the Lazio forum anymore? If you see guys like Soccer-Addict who just posts spam then it's useful with a Transfer thread otherwise it's silly, You see the Lazio forum is half dead anyway, it's just good with some new discussions.

#22 ·
I agree with Nick here.
Do you even see that much posters reply in these threads other then newsbulletins? I don't, but heck, I ain't around that often anymore.

Why not put up a thread for every player who seems to be really more then just a rumour.
Or better yet, put up a rumour thread and as subject the postion, get it? Like, who will be our new defensive mid or something. You know what I mean. That way you can compare the rumoured players for that postion, and still keep an helicopter-view over the rumours.

#23 ·
I tend to agree with both of you, but again: How are we to determin what is a good rumour and what is not? It's a matter of how you see it. Now, Glen just made a thread about a player rumoured to Lazio, but his approach to the issue is, IMO, easier to discuss by the way he posted me. Am I making any sense here?

Michel, that's some very good ideas you have there. Why don't you go ahead and make a thread like that? As it is your suggetion I think you should be the one to make it, to make sure it turns out the way you want it.

Again, I apologize if I made a mistake, it was not my intentions. Pax? :)

#24 ·
laziali said:
How are we to determin what is a good rumour and what is not? It's a matter of how you see it.
If the thread just is some crappy unreliable article from internetsoccer or tuttusport merge it into the rumour thread. If it isn't and the person who posted the Thread actually made some own points instead of just copy and paste then keep it and discuss it, take a look around pal, the lazio forum is dead and it's really in need of some new discussions.

#25 ·
Vialli linked with Baggio

Dino Baggio could be set to join former Juventus pal Gianluca Vialli at Watford next season. The former international is expected to be sold by Lazio this summer and capital President Sergio Cragnotti has provisionally okayed the deal.

channel4

#26 ·
Lazio prepare Angel bid Wednesday 10 April, 2002

Lazio are increasing their interest in the Premiership with a bid for Juan Pablo Angel.

The Aston Villa star has failed to settle despite his 16 goals in 31 appearances and is set to leave England this summer.

26-year-old Colombian Angel had previously agreed a move to Serie A as Parma had signed an option on the player when he was still at River Plate.

However, the Tardini side passed on their first refusal and allowed him to join Villa.

Now Lazio are said to be interested in the hitman as a replacement for Claudio Lopez (pictured).

If rumours that Lopez is set for a return to Valencia are to be believed, then it would link in with reports that the Spaniards’ current striker John Carew is a target for Aston Villa.

The Roman side is already dealing with a British club in their attempts to sign Leeds United midfielder Olivier Dacourt.

channel4