Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official NSL Transfer news and Rumours thread

I thought it would be a good idea to have this thread. In this thread we can look at Australian players moving from club to club, players leaving the NSL, and players coming from other clubs out of Australia to the NSL. So basically anything to do with the NSL :D I'll start....

It's believed that Parramatta goalkeeper Les Pogliacomi has agreed terms on a two-year deal with Oldham Athletic (English Second Division)

Pogliacomi is only halfway through a two-week trial with the but he has done enough to win a permanent contract, He comes out of contract in June and will move to Oldham on a free transfer.

Pogliacomi impressed the coaching staff during a closed-doors friendly against Huddersfield last week. His wife, Lia, holds an Italian passport, which will allow the former Wollongong keeper to gain his international clearance.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Joel Porter is apparantly being chased by Perth but would prefer to go overseas. His teamate Toto Da Costa is going for trials in Holland.:depress:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Why so unhappy D11??? :confused:

I know he is a very good player who has played in Portugal in the past but from your POV isn't it better that he's going o/s than to another NSL club (although from a neutral perspective the continual player drain is not good for the league :sigh: )

·
©
7,230 Posts
yeah it is better that they go overseas but the Knights will not get a cent from either of them because they are now free agents. The Knights are one of the strugglers of the league financially and we cannot replace these kind of players the way Perth, Parra, Spirit etc can. After two seasons in the finals, it looks like the team may break up which will take years to fix......if we are still around that is.

Another story going around is a possible return by Kovacevic from Adelaide to the Knights.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Joel Porter

According to belgian sources Porter is currently testing at belgian champions Racing Genk, also the club of another aussie; Josip Skoko. :cool:

Oop, sorry i just saw there's already a topic about him... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sydney United is cashed up following $300,000 it raised from the community. If Kalac gets sold (rumors have it he may go to England/Italy) it will bring in more cash for us.

I also hear that they will be looking to sign 2 strikers, 2 defenders and another midfielder. With Branko Culina as coach,he could bring in some good players. Hopefully we can sign players like Ante Juric and Brad Maloney (both free agents). We can forget about Pondeljak, he won't come back to us. He wanted to stay with Syd Utd this year but asked for an extra $10,000.. The committee said get lost so he went to Olimpic where he doubled his salary.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Best bit of news to come out of Lakeside Stadium for quite a while - the resignation of our 'beloved' :rolleyes: long time president George Vasilopoulos!!!

He has finally seen the light and realised that he has run his race (abt 5 years too late though). But im not too sure abt his replacement, he's from the same school of thinking as ol' Vas. Just hope his has some balls to make our club mighty again.

Here's to a new future at South!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Melbourne Knights are set to stay at their Somers St ground for at least another season, quashing rumours that they would ground-share with South at Lakeside Stadium. The Knights believe that they would not get the same revenue as they do at Somers St, despite the fact that they have had lucrative offers to sell the ground to property developers. South is interested in using Lakeside to attract extra income, even offering its ground to the Melbourne Storm.

David Zdrilic has signed up with Walsall in England on a one year contract (Yet another player who could have come back to Oz and helped improve our league has opted to join the lower ranks of English football... when is this crap going to stop. Maybe its time for Soccer Australia to step in and offer some sort of incentive to try and bring these players back home)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
pao1908 said:
David Zdrilic has signed up with Walsall in England on a one year contract (Yet another player who could have come back to Oz and helped improve our league has opted to join the lower ranks of English football... when is this crap going to stop. Maybe its time for Soccer Australia to step in and offer some sort of incentive to try and bring these players back home)
Well if SA were not so :greed:y and actually had money then i'd hope they'd offer some incentive although i'm sure a re-structured admin and league might help.

Its obvious that these players go the the English leagues because they pay the most. Even if the NSL standard was as good as Div1 in England (which it certainly is not :eek: :sigh: ;) ) then most will choose the league which pays more and i think Australia (and most other countries) will struggle to pay the same sorts of wages as the English clubs in the foreseeable suture :sigh: :depress: :( :frustrat:

Having said that i thought the better weather and lifestyle here as well as being back in your own country would be incentive enough but apparently not it seems :irritate: :crazy:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Perth Glory are on the verge of signing Joel Porter from the Knights. An announcement is expected to be made by early next week.
Yet another gun player goes to the Glory, yet again at the expense of a club struggling to survive.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Glory favourites to land Knights star Porter
tribalfootball.com - May 29, 2002

Perth Glory are favourites to land Melbourne Knights star Joel Porter.
The exciting attacker is out-of-contract and has returned from trials in Europe. The Glory have kept in regular contact with Porter's representatives and the transfer is expected to be announced soon.

The capture of Porter will solve coach Mich D'Avray's problems on the left-side of his midfield and also provide the club's marketing staff with arguably the most exciting talent in the domestic competition.

-------------

Just as i thought.:depress:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Porter would be a brilliant signing :cool:

In other news, Brad Maloney has joined Parramatta on a 2 year deal from the Glory, whilst Brazilian midifielder Edgar has signed a 1 year extension.

The sad news is that after 6 years and being an inaugural member of the club Gareth Naven will be leaving the club :(

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
News from tribalfootball.com

Two Football Kingz defenders, Sean Douglas and Jonathan Perry, are interesting rival clubs. Former Carlton skipper Douglas is creating some interest amongst Sydney clubs, while Perry is expected to spend part of pre-season training in England.

Preston North End almost signed Perry last year and it's understood the player's representatives are hoping to send the right-sided defender to Deepdale again in July.

As the club continues to work it's way through a change of ownership, another Kingz first teamer, Andy Vlahos, has been linked with Adelaide City.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
South Melbourne 'keeper Michael Petkovic is close to signing a contract with Turkish club Trabzonspor. Apparently its a three year $500,000 deal, and is also the same club that ex-South defender Tansel Baser was sold to a few back. Seems like South and Trabzonspor have built up a little relationship.....

One for you King Italty... Perth Glory coach Mich D'Avray says he will investigate the possibility of retiring Gareth Naven's No6 jersey as a mark of respect to the former club captain.
Glory cant honestly be serious about this one, can they? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Trabzonspor have secured Australia international goalkeeper Michael Petkovic to a two-year deal.
The ex-Lillestrom keeper has agreed terms on a two-year contract worth a cool £100,000-a-year.

Trabzonspor are expected to pay his current club, South Melbourne, around £250,000 in compensation. Though this fee is believed still to be finalised.

Petkovic moves to Trabzonspor as their new No1 after the club's board grew increasingly frustrated with Metin Aktas' performances last season.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I heard a rumour that John Markovski has left the Kingz and signed a contract with the Power... if this is true then personally it will be a bad signing, im sure Theodorakopoulos can find a better defender than Jonsey :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
pao1908 said:
I heard a rumour that John Markovski has left the Kingz and signed a contract with the Power... if this is true then personally it will be a bad signing, im sure Theodorakopoulos can find a better defender than Jonsey :rolleyes:
I heard Markovski was desperate for a move back to Perth so he could get 10% off at Nick Tana's Chicken Treat chain.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
dyertribe said:

I heard Markovski was desperate for a move back to Perth so he could get 10% off at Nick Tana's Chicken Treat chain.
I dont think Tana will want him back.... the Glory are in a little financial bother right now.... 10% discount for Markovski will surely put Tana out of business :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wollongong Wolves management have put all plans of close-season signings on hold for at least another fortnight.

Having already lost club skipper George Souris to Olympic Sharks and Alvin Ceccoli to Parramatta Power, Wolves officials have decided no movement will be made in the transfer market until after a shareholders meeting scheduled for June 26.

The decision has left many of the first team squad in limbo, with rival NSL clubs eyeing several of Wolves' senior players including Dustin Wells, Ben Blake and Paul Reid.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts