Xtratime Community banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

· Sheperdesque
21,280 Posts
he's a **** for not apologising :thmbdown: and i'll make sure i boo the **** whenever i see him play

And for the record, the severity of the tackle was clearly seen from Bay-26 Row-U seat-15 (good 70 metres from the incident) which is where i sat. South Melbourne - where did you sit?

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Newcastle Jets have announced that Mr Richard Money had been appointed to the position of Football Manager with the club for the next three years.

"It is no secret that we have been in pursuit of the appropriate person to assist us in the task of building a football infrastructure for the club, both at a first team and regional development level," said Mr Remo Nogorotto.

"That pursuit has seen the club engaging in a number of conversations with a variety of football people in the United Kingdom and in Europe.

"Whilst Terry Venables was our early preference it soon became apparent that Terry’s various business commitments overseas were going to make it difficult for the parties to come to a sensible arrangement.

"As a consequence the club over the past four months has been in constant dialogue with Richard about the job and indeed keeping him abreast of developments with Terry.

"We are happy to say that Richard’s coaching and development experience was exactly the type of mix we were looking for.

"The club will now put into place a structure modeled along English lines with Richard Money as the Manager and Jean Paul De Marigny as coach. All first team responsibility will now come under Richard".

In accepting the position Richard Money said:

"I am thrilled and honoured at having been chosen by the club to steer its fortunes in this exciting new era for Australian football. In the short term my clear focus will be on the first team and I look forward to working with John Paul and the support staff in delivering to the Hunter Region a team which is both highly competitive and committed.

“Over the medium term the focus will be widened to look at how the club identifies and develops our best young footballers in the Region. It’s a great job with a wonderful vision.

“I am fully committed to the task at hand and as part of that commitment I propose to move my family to Newcastle so that we can live and breath football in this fantastic city".

Club captain, Ned Zelic, presently in Austria completing the move of his family to Australia was also excited about the appointment.

"Richard’s appointment reinforces my decision to come home and my decision to join the Newcastle Jets," said Zelic. "With the setback of the world club challenge behind us the team is now completely focused on bringing the national title to Newcastle for the first time, I can't wait to get home and start preparing for what promises to be a great competition."

Club owner Con Constantine was also looking forward to Richard Money stamping his identity with the club.

"Slowly but surely all the pieces of the jigsaw are being put together. I have made a commitment to the people of the Hunter to leave no stone unturned in our quest for a national title and I am convinced that Richard’s appointment will be a very big piece of that jigsaw," said Mr Constantine.

Club CEO George Liolio confirmed that Richard Money will now return to the UK for a couple of weeks to organise his family’s move to Australia.

"We expect him to be back on deck here in Newcastle within the next two to three weeks. It’s an exciting time for the club and an exciting time for football fans in the Hunter. We are now full steam ahead for preparations for our opening match against Adelaide United at Energy Australia Stadium on Friday August 26," said Mr Liolio.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
TICKET PRICING 2005-06 SEASON

SEASON TICKETS

Purchasing a season ticket is the best way to ensure you are part of the action at Energy Australia Stadium for every Newcastle United Jets home game. Feel the atmosphere and experience all the excitement of the Hyundai A-League.

With 3 seating categories available, and special prices for concession and children, there is sure to be a Season Ticket that suits every supporter’s requirements.

By purchasing your season ticket before July 22nd, you will be getting 12 games for the price of 11. This includes the pre season match on July 22nd. All tickets will have a deadline of five working days prior to the match.

All season tickets will be under cover. You need to let us know if you want Western (Old) or Eastern (New) Grandstand allocations.

Season Tickets 2005/06 GOLD RED BLUE

Adult $242.00 $198.00 $165.00
Concession $198.00 $154.00 $110.00
Child 5 - 12yrs $99.00 $77.00 $55.00

Match Day Tickets 2005/06 GOLD RED BLUE
Adult $22.00 $18.00 $15.00
Concession $18.00 $14.00 $10.00
Child 5 -12yrs $9.00 $7.00 $5.00

Family Tickets 2005/06 GOLD RED BLUE
2 x Adults & 2 x Kids $53.00 $43.00 $35.00

Ticket Information

All Gold and Red Seating is reserved seating when ticket is purchased. Blue seating is General Admission for the South and North Concourse and Hill areas.

Concession Information

Concession prices are available for full time students and pensioners (Health Care Cards are not valid). To receive concession discount on Memberships or Season Tickets, please present your full time student card, pensioner's card or proof of age card (13-16yo) at time of purchase.

Ticket Sales Information

TICKET SALES WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MID JUNE

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Veteran & much travelled 'keeper Andy Petterson has signed for the Newcastle United Jets. Tarek Elrich has also signed for the Jets as a short-term replacement for the injured Jobe Wheelhouse.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Everyone probably knows already, but Newcastle has had a few matches over the last couple of weeks. In Coff's Harbour they beat Adelaide 2-0 on the 13th of July, but then lost 3-1 to the Queensland Roar a few days later, so I guess it's hard to say anything much based on those mixed results. Then last Friday the "Jets" had a 1-1 draw with Melbourne, which is celarly a much better result for Newcastle as XT's favourite pundit SM is tipping that the Victory will be a very strong contender for the title this year. :D

· Registered
15,543 Posts
Is it true the crowd was only 600? Apparently FFA in their media release tried to bump it up to 1,864. I think the Newcastle fans will turn out though, they used to get 20,000 in the old NSL finals.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
King Italy said:
Is it true the crowd was only 600? Apparently FFA in their media release tried to bump it up to 1,864.
Could be, I wouldn't know ;) but Saturday's edition of the Newcastle Herald said that there was a "disappointing crowd of 2000" at the game. They would have had people there, so I don't think they would have based that figure on the FFA press release :confused:

King Italy said:
I think the Newcastle fans will turn out though, they used to get 20,000 in the old NSL finals.
They'll get over 5,000 for sure, but probably their aim would be closer to 10,000 or even more, but even the Knights don't get 20,000 for regular competition matches anymore though.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
A good article from Mike Cockerill in today's SMH. He is right, there are no more excuses. If you want the game to succeed in this country get behind your club and get to the ground and support them,

Turnstile fever rocks the cradle - it mustn't spread

By Michael Cockerill
July 30, 2005

Newcastle is regarded, quite rightly, as the cradle of football in Australia. It is where the clubs have the longest histories, where some of our greatest players have emerged, and where crowds have traditionally been the biggest and best-educated in the country. Novocastrians deserve their reputation as the patriarchs of the game, and they guard it jealously.

So, what gives?

Last Friday night, Newcastle United made their first official appearance as an A-League club in front of their supporters. It was a chilly night but a clear one. Granted, it was a pre-season match and, true enough, it was not heavily marketed by Football Federation Australia. But the local media had done their job, and all genuine football fans - presumably among them the 12,000 registered players in the greater Newcastle area - knew, or should have known, the game was on.

How many people showed? Officially, 1864. Unofficially, barely a thousand souls seemed lost in the floodlit expanse of the rebuilt EnergyAustralia Stadium. It was demoralising, disappointing, even devastating. As a launching pad for the new era, it was a disaster. If Jets chief executive George Liolio is truly unconcerned, as he maintains he is, then he obviously has good relaxation techniques.

With the inaugural A-League season just around the corner, and with Newcastle hosting the historic first match of the competition, it is impossible to feel anything other than concern. No wonder FFA officials were in town yesterday to find out what went wrong.

What went wrong is that the fans have run out of excuses. We are starting to see through the serial whingers for the first time.

For 27 seasons of the now defunct National Soccer League, supporters had a multitude of excuses for not going to games: poor stadiums, crowd violence, poor promotion, poor playing standards, poor scheduling, bad management. Separately, they all had some credence. Together, they made the NSL a lame duck for most of the past decade of its existence.

But now we have a new competition and, supposedly, a new outlook. It is fair to say that FFA has made a number of mistakes during the roll-out process, but these errors should not lessen the curiosity - or, dare we say it, excitement - value.

After almost 16 months of inactivity between the closure of the NSL and last weekend's official start to the pre-season of the A-League, true football fans should have been champing at the bit. But judging by attendances - of which Newcastle's was palpably the worst - they weren't. And the excuses have been running thick and fast ever since.

The truth is there are no longer any excuses. None. The fate of professional football in this country is now in the hands of the fans, who have always reckoned that this is something they wanted.

But responsibility comes with a price, and that price is to turn up first - rain, hail or shine - and ask questions later. It's what they do in the NRL, in the AFL and in Super 12. It's why the powerbrokers, those who determine things like media coverage and sponsorships, listen to the other codes before they listen to football. Because these sports have a support base that is a reality, not a mirage. Fans in these sports have proved they care.

Football fans care, too. But they haven't proved it. At least not in any sustained way. Big games, whether at club or international level, can draw people out of the woodwork. It shows there is a latent audience out there, somewhere.

Four weeks out from the kick-off of Australia's new competition, where are they?

A professional league, something Australia desperately needs, is defined by its level of support. The A-League will never become what it should be unless fans across the country get off their backsides and get through the turnstiles.

Starting from now.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Pointless fact about Newcastle #2 :D

Newcastle is said to be the 6th largest city in Australia by population, and the largest non-capital city in the country. Bet you're glad you read that :pp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on matters related to the Jets; As reported by Toyota World Sports on SBS tonight, the team was launched and the players presented today, with the captain Ned Zelic saying that the squad had good depth and would challenge for the title in his opinion :eekani:. Apparently Milicic is injured and has been training separately so far, with the aim of being ready to play when the season starts.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
ok then, sorry i missed the cue...

(Semi-)Pointless fact about Newcastle #3 :lala:

What is "soccer" up against in Newy? I was reading the Newcastle Herald yesterday (28/11/05) and came across an article about the 100 most watched tv shows in the Hunter Region and found the following amazing results (if you believe them :undecide: ).

Rugby league related broadcasts made up 5 of the top 6; grand final (216,000), origin 3 (195,000), origin 2 (174,000), origin 1 (166,000), grand final entertainment :jester: (151,000). Imagine if the Knights made it to the final :dazed:. The Australia v Uruguay match only got 14th place (119,000), and incredibly that was SBS's only entry in the top-100 :rolleyes:. Even the gayFL grand final (40th) got 97,000, and nobody here even really gives a toss about the sport or "our Swans", as Channel 10 believe we feel about them. :howler:

Aside from sport apparently Dancing with the Stars, CSI, McLeod's Daughters, Lost, Desperate Housewives, RPA etc are all popular here :googly: (Vagabondo doesn't really watch any of them though). Movies on tv aren't that popular though, in spite of us now being a cinematic backdrop :D. I hear they're shooting part of the new Superman film here, so far it just means that one of Newcastle's main streets has been shut down for a week or so, but at least we get some exposure. I'm drifting, ay? ;)

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.