Xtratime Community banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Newcastle United Jets' chances of winning the CWC, according to the SMH:

The Jets have pulled off arguably the A-League's biggest recruiting coup - getting Ned Zelic to come home after 12 years abroad, and getting him to come back in time to play in the CWC. The former Australia skipper rivals Dwight Yorke in the celebrity stakes, and may yet prove to be an even better player (if you believe Yorke's Birmingham City detractors). Not that Newcastle were a bad side before Zelic arrived, although the decision to hand him the armband reveals his status inside the dressing room. Ante Milicic, Jade North, Richard Johnson, Nick Carle, Andrew Durante and Liam Reddy provide an impressive backbone, while youngsters Stuart Musialik, Mark Bridge and Jobe Wheelhouse offer exciting potential. Bridge and Musialik are out this weekend, the latter due to glandular fever. Newcastle will also be without a natural left-sided player for the CWC - something they intend to rectify when they sign their 20th player in the next few weeks.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
khimik said:
Newcastle will also be without a natural left-sided player for the CWC - something they intend to rectify when they sign their 20th player in the next few weeks.
yeah i read in the Newcastle Herald a few days ago that the club reckon they will sign a high-quality experienced left sided player from Europe pretty soon (Ze Roberto? Emre? :jester: :hopefull: :D). In the same article they also mention that they've brought in a "giant" :scared: :D Croatian goalkeeper who will probably be the reserve for Reddy.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You might be able to afford Harry's wages, but his medical bills? Come off it, you can't be that rich ;) even if all of Newcastle pitched in, you lot couldn't pay for both Kewell and Joey Johns' medical bills :thumbsup: :D

· Registered
4,526 Posts
:howler:

Since they are both usually unemployed anyway, maybe they can get a Health Care Card and then Johnny Howard will have to foot the bill instead. That'll learn him for refusing to pay for the fixing of our stadium :stuckup: :D

· Registered
4,802 Posts

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Durante slams broken leg tackle
By Ray Gatt
May 9, 2005

SHATTERED Newcastle Jets defender Andrew Durante says he is finding it hard to forgive the player involved in a tackle that has left him with a broken leg for the second time in 20 months.

One of the most talented and well-liked players in Australian football, Durante yesterday was trying to come to grips with the setback.

The 23-year-old's world came tumbling down during a World Club Championship qualifying loss to Central Coast Mariners at ExpressAdvocate Stadium on Saturday night when his right leg buckled under the impact of striker Nick Mrdja's tackle in the 13th minute of extra-time.

It is the second time Durante has broken the leg in a tackle. Marconi's Brad Maloney was suspended for four matches after being sent off for a challenge on Durante, who was playing for Parramatta Power at the time, in an NSL match in October, 2003.

The then 21-year-old only days earlier had been selected in an Olyroos train-on squad, but the injury sidelined him for six months and ended his dreams of representing his country.

Mrdja was not sent off by referee Matthew Breeze on Saturday, but was instead issued with a yellow card.

"He collected me with both feet," said Durante, who struggled to keep his emotions in check when The Australian spoke to him at Gosford Hospital.

The youngster said he was finding it hard not to have any malice towards Mrdja.

"What I find hard is that he did not even apologise to me while I was on the ground or later," Durante said. "In fact, apart from a couple of Mariners players, no one from the club has been in touch with me to see how I am."

Despite the severity of the injury, Durante believes he can recover even quicker than last time.

"I think I'll be out for about four months," he said. "The good thing is I won't need any metal plates or screws.

"I know what is ahead of me in terms of physical and mental anguish and that is helping me a little. The fact that the start of the A-League is still three months away is also some consolation because, with some luck, I won't miss too much football."

After 13 months without top-flight football, local fans finally got to see some real action, though its return also was marred by a serious injury to the Jets' stellar signing Ned Zelic, who has a grade two medial ligament injury in his knee and will be sidelined for up to six weeks.

It was an unfortunate homecoming for Zelic, who signed with the Jets last week after spending 13 years playing overseas.

Not only was the quality defender injured in the 63rd minute of the second half, but he was subjected to some disgusting barracking from Mariners fans.

Part-owner of Sydney FC, Hollywood actor Anthony LaPaglia, wore a huge smile after watching his side, already tagged the glamour outfit of the A-League, beat Queensland Roar 3-0 in the opening match of the Australian leg of the championship.

"That was thrilling to watch," LaPaglia said. "It has already proved a good investment. But it did not hit me until 15 minutes into the game that I was so heavily involved (as a part owner)."

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I think Nick will apologise for it, if not publically then definitely privately. From my view I thought it was a horrible challenge but it wasn't malicious, I don't think he intended to break the poor blokes leg.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
of course you'd have to hope that he didn't mean to, but still on the highlights i saw yesterday Mrdja was hovering around all over the place after the incident, so I would have thought he would have had it in him to say something then, or at least after the match

· Registered
4,802 Posts
I didnt look that bad a tackle from a long distance away.

His coach was adiment it was an accident and there was no malice.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.