Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

· Registered
4,526 Posts
I've got some doubts over the squad. It looks like there's decent options up front and in midfield plus Reddy is decent (if he keeps his violence under control ;)), but I've never even heard of any of the defenders on that list. Surely it looks a bit soft for Newcastle to be considered as strong contenders :neutral:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
bah, just cause i've not heard of them doesn't mean they're useless, I guess :eek: ;)

Still you'd imagine that with the reduction in size of the league, most of the teams would be well spoken for in terms of experience, talent etc. So Newcastle having 4 defenders who have might have played in good teams isn't really that big a deal the way I see it.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
If Okon or Zelic come they should try to play as sweeper or something cos the defence sounds dodgy. 0-4 vs the U20 NT :eekani:

apparently Moore is unsettled in Germany too. i don't think it's likely, but maybe one of the clubs could bag him as a marquis player if he doesn't go back to Rangers :shades:

· Registered
4,802 Posts
QANTAS YOUNG SOCCEROOS DEFEAT NEWCASTLE JETS

The Qantas Young Socceroos (Australia u-20s) have turned on a stunning display to defeat Hyundai A-League club Newcastle Jets 4-0 in the first match of their 11-day camp in Newcastle tonight.

First half goals to Kristian Sarkies and Chris Tadrosse were complemented by second half strikes from national team debutant Ruben Zadkovich and Vince Lia in front of a 1,000-strong crowd at Adamstown Oval.

Newcastle Jets without Qantas Socceroos Ante Milicic and Nick Carle were behind after just five minutebenefiting as he added his name to the scoresheet 11 minutes from half time.

Notts County midfielder Zadkovich scored in his first appearance for the team with a spectacular header that went in off the far post after the free-kick played in from the right by Tadrosse.

The scoring was completed when Lia, veteran of the 2003 World Youth Championship campaign, scored with a stunning left-foot strike from 30 yards into the top corner of the goal.

Substitute David Williams, also a member of the Australian U-17 team, was denied a goal when his low drive from distance hit the post in the final minute of the game.

The camp continues the team’s build-up towards the FIFA World Youth Championship to be held in the Netherlands in June.

The Qantas Young Socceroos will now take on Sydney FC at Marconi Stadium on Wednesday before completing their match schedule with a match against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium on Saturday.

Australian line-up:s following Sarkies low strike from the edge of the area with Mark Milligan and Jay Lucas involved in the build-up.

The Qantas Young Socceroos peppered Liam Reddy’s goal in the first half but it took a deflection to beat the Newcastle custodian a second time, with the impressive Tadrosse
Justin Pasfield, Jacob Timpano, Ben Griffith, Mark Milligan, Ryan Townsend, Vince Lia (Matthew Deegan 80’), Ruben Zadkovich (Michael Matricciani 68’), Chris Tadrosse (Joel Thiessen 75’), Kristian Sarkies (Nick Ward 68’), Billy Celeski (Jobe Wheelhouse 80’), Jay Lucas (David Williams 80’)

Goalscorers:
Sarkies 5’, Tadrosse 34’, Zadkovich 66’, Lia 79’

bold = Victory Boys :thmbup:

khimik said:
Mate if anyone gets Moore that'd be a better marquee signing than Yorke is. He's still a class defender but i strongly doubt he'll come back here just now.
Agreed.

Moore would simply awsome.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
i doubt it too, but why not? he's 30 anyway and isn't really settled anywhere overseas now. besides he's Australian (not that he sounds like one though :D) and the NT captain, so maybe that's another reason why he could make the "sacrifice" of coming home.

off-topic: what's that awful picture of raikkonen for? :yuck: the delayed grand prix coverage is about to start here and i can't believe he got pole. certainly hope he stalled it on the grid or something :hopefull: :tongue: ;).

should put Senna back on as your avatar :star:

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
FORMER Socceroos captain Ned Zelic is likely to be named tomorrow as Newcastle United Jets' marquee signing for the inaugural A-League football season.

Fellow Australian Paul Okon, the current captain of Belgian side Oostende, was also touted as a key target for the Jets but his manager Leo Karis today ruled him out of the contest.

With Okon out of the picture and with the Jets' setting a self-imposed 72-hour deadline on Sunday to have Zelic agree to terms, it appears likely the 33-year-old defender is their new recruit.

Earlier this week Jets' CEO George Liolio said the marquee signing would rival Sydney FC's capture of former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke.

The Jets have long said they wanted an Australian player who would be available for next Saturday's Australian Club World Championship qualifiers in Gosford.

A $A1.2 million payment awaits whichever Oceania side qualifies for the world event in Tokyo in December and that was seen as a major inducement for the club.

Zelic, 33, was understood to be attempting to secure an early release from his Austrian first-division side Wacker Tirol at a potential cost to the Jets of $A300,000.

Zelic has not played for the Socceroos since he exiled himself from the side after being dropped for a game against Brazil in 1999 and his relations with coach Frank Farina continue to be frosty.

He has also reportedly said he doesn't feel as though he is central to Farina's 2006 World Cup plans.

Okon had expressed interest and was able to be in Australia on June 30 but was unable to make the May 7 event.

"Paul Okon won't be unveiled as Newcastle's signing tomorrow. We rejected their offer about a month ago for Paul to participate in the May 7 matches so there hasn't been any movement," Karis said.

"Paul didn't want to get out of his contract, he wanted to honour it until June 30."

Jets' CEO George Liolio would not comment on the signing, saying the negotiations had been delicate and he wanted to keep the "powder dry".

The Jets' will unveil the player at 2pm (AEST).

· Registered
4,802 Posts
khimik said:
It won't be Moore but Ned Zellic flew into Sydney last night and will be signing for Newcastle sometime today or tomorrow as their marquee player.
Great news for the league.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Zelic won't be the only big signing? Just look at this shocking piece of transfer news I've just found :eekani: :D ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kluivert joins Newcastle

"Patrick is a great catch" - JP De Marigny

Newcastle have signed Patrick Kluivert on a free transfer, with the 28-year-old penning a three-year deal.

Kluivert, who will wear the number 11 shirt vacated by nobody as the club has just been founded ;), had been released by Barcelona after six years at the Spanish club.

"I'm feeling 100% fit and I hope to win some big prizes here," said Kluivert.

Manager JP ;) said: "He is one of the most significant signings in Newcastle in many years. It is like the feeling when the Knights came home with the NRL premiership in '97 or '01 :star: :D."

Kluivert, who has previously played for Ajax and AC Milan as well as Barcelona, said he was excited by the the prospect of playing in the A-League :D.

"It feels really good - it's a dream come true," said the Dutchman. "I always wanted to come to a top club in Australia :proud: and today is the day.

"Last year, Newcastle didn't play :D, and the most important thing is to bring the club a little bit higher if it's possible - and I think we can do well also in the (Asian ) :star: Champions League."

He also admitted he was excited about playing alongside Ante Milicic :strong:.

With Kluivert and Milicic we now have the best strike partnership in the country - goals galore!

JP has also signed another striker this summer - Nick Carle :D - and the manager is hopeful Kluivert will have a positive effect on the youngsters at the club.

"I have known Patrick for many years," he said. "He has immense experience and is an international player of high repute.

"If he reaches anything like his potential he will be very popular here. I think it is a great move for him and he has his best years ahead of him.

"At 28 he is at a good age as we have some very young talented players here and have just lost one of our experienced men in Esala Masi :star:."

Robson now has Kluivert, Milicic, Parisi and Carle :D available in attack and is happy with the selection problems he will face next season.

He said: "The headache is when we don't have players to choose from - all we have now is a quartet of terrific players."

But the Jets boss would not be drawn on whether the club will make more signings before the transfer window closes.

Newcastle had been chasing a new striker this summer as they look for a long-term replacement for Milicic, who could be retiring in the next few seasons.

Kluivert has won 79 caps for Holland and was part of the Dutch squad at Euro 2004 but did not make it onto the pitch during the tournament, with Ruud van Nistelrooy winning the battle to start as the lone striker.

:star: :D

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Good signing for them. :neutral:

21 - 40 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.