Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4,526 Posts
The Newcastle thread has posts :eekani: :) :proud:

i'm not sure if i will even support this side yet, but am now determined to keep this thread on the front page (even if i have to post any crap, whether its related to soccer or not) as befits a city of our prestige :strong: :stuckup:

Wtf is a Sydney? .....:eyepatch: ;)

· Registered
4,526 Posts
King Italy said:
Why not? Did you support the old Newcastle in the NSL? I'd get behind it cause the Jets will be pretty big there on and off the pitch.
King Italy i phrased it badly,what i mean is i'm not sure if i'll be a real supporter who go's to all the home matches, buys the merchandise etc like the federation would probably like everyone to. i'll definitely support the club results wise and that and probably attend some games but i just don't know how far i'll take it yet.

everything is pretty big up here in Newy until someone who's never even been here closes it down on us. it's happened to the BHP, it's happening to our railway, and it'll happen to our uni as well the way things are going. it's just hard to get excited about people trying to make money off us sometimes, but i do hope the team kicks :ass:

i'm not being bitter, but the people who run this league now call the game the "product", clubs strive to become "brands" and us fans are considered a "market". obviously it's the way of the world but it doesn't inspire strong feelings in me or anything.

i now that the epl marketing took/are taking the same approach when they try to expand into Asia, and i hope it is as successful here as it has been for them. i just want to feel that it is more about passion for the game or your town than it is a money-grabbing exercise before i really get behind it.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
forgot to mention, i think the "Jets" :yuck: is a shocking name. Just plain boring old "Newcastle United" would have been better. it's too American, next thing you know we'll have a draft system as well :nono:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
:scream:

Newcastle thread half way down the second page of the Australian Forum :yuck: :D

Pointless Fact About Newcastle #1

Apparently Newcastle is the world's largest coal exporting port. I'm not sure if this or true or not, but they say so around here a fair bit and I think it depends on the wording a lot. Still, we're right up there with some small coastal town in Queensland and a few of the other delapidated main coal trading centres around the world. :stuckup: :proud:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
I've got some doubts over the squad. It looks like there's decent options up front and in midfield plus Reddy is decent (if he keeps his violence under control ;)), but I've never even heard of any of the defenders on that list. Surely it looks a bit soft for Newcastle to be considered as strong contenders :neutral:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
bah, just cause i've not heard of them doesn't mean they're useless, I guess :eek: ;)

Still you'd imagine that with the reduction in size of the league, most of the teams would be well spoken for in terms of experience, talent etc. So Newcastle having 4 defenders who have might have played in good teams isn't really that big a deal the way I see it.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
If Okon or Zelic come they should try to play as sweeper or something cos the defence sounds dodgy. 0-4 vs the U20 NT :eekani:

apparently Moore is unsettled in Germany too. i don't think it's likely, but maybe one of the clubs could bag him as a marquis player if he doesn't go back to Rangers :shades:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
i doubt it too, but why not? he's 30 anyway and isn't really settled anywhere overseas now. besides he's Australian (not that he sounds like one though :D) and the NT captain, so maybe that's another reason why he could make the "sacrifice" of coming home.

off-topic: what's that awful picture of raikkonen for? :yuck: the delayed grand prix coverage is about to start here and i can't believe he got pole. certainly hope he stalled it on the grid or something :hopefull: :tongue: ;).

should put Senna back on as your avatar :star:

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Zelic won't be the only big signing? Just look at this shocking piece of transfer news I've just found :eekani: :D ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kluivert joins Newcastle

"Patrick is a great catch" - JP De Marigny

Newcastle have signed Patrick Kluivert on a free transfer, with the 28-year-old penning a three-year deal.

Kluivert, who will wear the number 11 shirt vacated by nobody as the club has just been founded ;), had been released by Barcelona after six years at the Spanish club.

"I'm feeling 100% fit and I hope to win some big prizes here," said Kluivert.

Manager JP ;) said: "He is one of the most significant signings in Newcastle in many years. It is like the feeling when the Knights came home with the NRL premiership in '97 or '01 :star: :D."

Kluivert, who has previously played for Ajax and AC Milan as well as Barcelona, said he was excited by the the prospect of playing in the A-League :D.

"It feels really good - it's a dream come true," said the Dutchman. "I always wanted to come to a top club in Australia :proud: and today is the day.

"Last year, Newcastle didn't play :D, and the most important thing is to bring the club a little bit higher if it's possible - and I think we can do well also in the (Asian ) :star: Champions League."

He also admitted he was excited about playing alongside Ante Milicic :strong:.

With Kluivert and Milicic we now have the best strike partnership in the country - goals galore!

JP has also signed another striker this summer - Nick Carle :D - and the manager is hopeful Kluivert will have a positive effect on the youngsters at the club.

"I have known Patrick for many years," he said. "He has immense experience and is an international player of high repute.

"If he reaches anything like his potential he will be very popular here. I think it is a great move for him and he has his best years ahead of him.

"At 28 he is at a good age as we have some very young talented players here and have just lost one of our experienced men in Esala Masi :star:."

Robson now has Kluivert, Milicic, Parisi and Carle :D available in attack and is happy with the selection problems he will face next season.

He said: "The headache is when we don't have players to choose from - all we have now is a quartet of terrific players."

But the Jets boss would not be drawn on whether the club will make more signings before the transfer window closes.

Newcastle had been chasing a new striker this summer as they look for a long-term replacement for Milicic, who could be retiring in the next few seasons.

Kluivert has won 79 caps for Holland and was part of the Dutch squad at Euro 2004 but did not make it onto the pitch during the tournament, with Ruud van Nistelrooy winning the battle to start as the lone striker.

:star: :D

· Registered
4,526 Posts
khimik said:
Newcastle will also be without a natural left-sided player for the CWC - something they intend to rectify when they sign their 20th player in the next few weeks.
yeah i read in the Newcastle Herald a few days ago that the club reckon they will sign a high-quality experienced left sided player from Europe pretty soon (Ze Roberto? Emre? :jester: :hopefull: :D). In the same article they also mention that they've brought in a "giant" :scared: :D Croatian goalkeeper who will probably be the reserve for Reddy.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
:howler:

Since they are both usually unemployed anyway, maybe they can get a Health Care Card and then Johnny Howard will have to foot the bill instead. That'll learn him for refusing to pay for the fixing of our stadium :stuckup: :D

· Registered
4,526 Posts
of course you'd have to hope that he didn't mean to, but still on the highlights i saw yesterday Mrdja was hovering around all over the place after the incident, so I would have thought he would have had it in him to say something then, or at least after the match

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.