Mark Bridge u/20

Manager: Richard Money
Assistant: John Paul de Marigny, Gary Van Egmond

Fansite: Unknown

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www2.sbs.com.au/a-league/index.php3?id=55070

In other news, Newcastle are still hoping to sign Paul Okon, which in my mind will be a very good signing. The deal however is in doubt due to Okon's current club Oostende unwilling to give up Okon until the end of the season as they are in a relegation battle, and Newcastle want Okon to play in the Club World Championship qualifying tournament.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Sydney will be made favourites because of the Bling Bling'ness of them, however I can see a Newcastle winning it first up. It'd make a pleasant change from the Glory.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
FORMER Socceroos captain Ned Zelic is likely to be named tomorrow as Newcastle United Jets' marquee signing for the inaugural A-League football season.

Fellow Australian Paul Okon, the current captain of Belgian side Oostende, was also touted as a key target for the Jets but his manager Leo Karis today ruled him out of the contest.

With Okon out of the picture and with the Jets' setting a self-imposed 72-hour deadline on Sunday to have Zelic agree to terms, it appears likely the 33-year-old defender is their new recruit.

Earlier this week Jets' CEO George Liolio said the marquee signing would rival Sydney FC's capture of former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke.

The Jets have long said they wanted an Australian player who would be available for next Saturday's Australian Club World Championship qualifiers in Gosford.

A $A1.2 million payment awaits whichever Oceania side qualifies for the world event in Tokyo in December and that was seen as a major inducement for the club.

Zelic, 33, was understood to be attempting to secure an early release from his Austrian first-division side Wacker Tirol at a potential cost to the Jets of $A300,000.

Zelic has not played for the Socceroos since he exiled himself from the side after being dropped for a game against Brazil in 1999 and his relations with coach Frank Farina continue to be frosty.

He has also reportedly said he doesn't feel as though he is central to Farina's 2006 World Cup plans.

Okon had expressed interest and was able to be in Australia on June 30 but was unable to make the May 7 event.

"Paul Okon won't be unveiled as Newcastle's signing tomorrow. We rejected their offer about a month ago for Paul to participate in the May 7 matches so there hasn't been any movement," Karis said.

"Paul didn't want to get out of his contract, he wanted to honour it until June 30."

Jets' CEO George Liolio would not comment on the signing, saying the negotiations had been delicate and he wanted to keep the "powder dry".

The Jets' will unveil the player at 2pm (AEST).

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Newcastle United Jets' chances of winning the CWC, according to the SMH:

The Jets have pulled off arguably the A-League's biggest recruiting coup - getting Ned Zelic to come home after 12 years abroad, and getting him to come back in time to play in the CWC. The former Australia skipper rivals Dwight Yorke in the celebrity stakes, and may yet prove to be an even better player (if you believe Yorke's Birmingham City detractors). Not that Newcastle were a bad side before Zelic arrived, although the decision to hand him the armband reveals his status inside the dressing room. Ante Milicic, Jade North, Richard Johnson, Nick Carle, Andrew Durante and Liam Reddy provide an impressive backbone, while youngsters Stuart Musialik, Mark Bridge and Jobe Wheelhouse offer exciting potential. Bridge and Musialik are out this weekend, the latter due to glandular fever. Newcastle will also be without a natural left-sided player for the CWC - something they intend to rectify when they sign their 20th player in the next few weeks.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You might be able to afford Harry's wages, but his medical bills? Come off it, you can't be that rich ;) even if all of Newcastle pitched in, you lot couldn't pay for both Kewell and Joey Johns' medical bills :thumbsup: :D

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Durante slams broken leg tackle
By Ray Gatt
May 9, 2005

SHATTERED Newcastle Jets defender Andrew Durante says he is finding it hard to forgive the player involved in a tackle that has left him with a broken leg for the second time in 20 months.

One of the most talented and well-liked players in Australian football, Durante yesterday was trying to come to grips with the setback.

The 23-year-old's world came tumbling down during a World Club Championship qualifying loss to Central Coast Mariners at ExpressAdvocate Stadium on Saturday night when his right leg buckled under the impact of striker Nick Mrdja's tackle in the 13th minute of extra-time.

It is the second time Durante has broken the leg in a tackle. Marconi's Brad Maloney was suspended for four matches after being sent off for a challenge on Durante, who was playing for Parramatta Power at the time, in an NSL match in October, 2003.

The then 21-year-old only days earlier had been selected in an Olyroos train-on squad, but the injury sidelined him for six months and ended his dreams of representing his country.

Mrdja was not sent off by referee Matthew Breeze on Saturday, but was instead issued with a yellow card.

"He collected me with both feet," said Durante, who struggled to keep his emotions in check when The Australian spoke to him at Gosford Hospital.

The youngster said he was finding it hard not to have any malice towards Mrdja.

"What I find hard is that he did not even apologise to me while I was on the ground or later," Durante said. "In fact, apart from a couple of Mariners players, no one from the club has been in touch with me to see how I am."

Despite the severity of the injury, Durante believes he can recover even quicker than last time.

"I think I'll be out for about four months," he said. "The good thing is I won't need any metal plates or screws.

"I know what is ahead of me in terms of physical and mental anguish and that is helping me a little. The fact that the start of the A-League is still three months away is also some consolation because, with some luck, I won't miss too much football."

After 13 months without top-flight football, local fans finally got to see some real action, though its return also was marred by a serious injury to the Jets' stellar signing Ned Zelic, who has a grade two medial ligament injury in his knee and will be sidelined for up to six weeks.

It was an unfortunate homecoming for Zelic, who signed with the Jets last week after spending 13 years playing overseas.

Not only was the quality defender injured in the 63rd minute of the second half, but he was subjected to some disgusting barracking from Mariners fans.

Part-owner of Sydney FC, Hollywood actor Anthony LaPaglia, wore a huge smile after watching his side, already tagged the glamour outfit of the A-League, beat Queensland Roar 3-0 in the opening match of the Australian leg of the championship.

"That was thrilling to watch," LaPaglia said. "It has already proved a good investment. But it did not hit me until 15 minutes into the game that I was so heavily involved (as a part owner)."

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I think Nick will apologise for it, if not publically then definitely privately. From my view I thought it was a horrible challenge but it wasn't malicious, I don't think he intended to break the poor blokes leg.

· Registered
25,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Newcastle Jets have announced that Mr Richard Money had been appointed to the position of Football Manager with the club for the next three years.

"It is no secret that we have been in pursuit of the appropriate person to assist us in the task of building a football infrastructure for the club, both at a first team and regional development level," said Mr Remo Nogorotto.

"That pursuit has seen the club engaging in a number of conversations with a variety of football people in the United Kingdom and in Europe.

"Whilst Terry Venables was our early preference it soon became apparent that Terry’s various business commitments overseas were going to make it difficult for the parties to come to a sensible arrangement.

"As a consequence the club over the past four months has been in constant dialogue with Richard about the job and indeed keeping him abreast of developments with Terry.

"We are happy to say that Richard’s coaching and development experience was exactly the type of mix we were looking for.

"The club will now put into place a structure modeled along English lines with Richard Money as the Manager and Jean Paul De Marigny as coach. All first team responsibility will now come under Richard".

In accepting the position Richard Money said:

"I am thrilled and honoured at having been chosen by the club to steer its fortunes in this exciting new era for Australian football. In the short term my clear focus will be on the first team and I look forward to working with John Paul and the support staff in delivering to the Hunter Region a team which is both highly competitive and committed.

“Over the medium term the focus will be widened to look at how the club identifies and develops our best young footballers in the Region. It’s a great job with a wonderful vision.

“I am fully committed to the task at hand and as part of that commitment I propose to move my family to Newcastle so that we can live and breath football in this fantastic city".

Club captain, Ned Zelic, presently in Austria completing the move of his family to Australia was also excited about the appointment.

"Richard’s appointment reinforces my decision to come home and my decision to join the Newcastle Jets," said Zelic. "With the setback of the world club challenge behind us the team is now completely focused on bringing the national title to Newcastle for the first time, I can't wait to get home and start preparing for what promises to be a great competition."

Club owner Con Constantine was also looking forward to Richard Money stamping his identity with the club.

"Slowly but surely all the pieces of the jigsaw are being put together. I have made a commitment to the people of the Hunter to leave no stone unturned in our quest for a national title and I am convinced that Richard’s appointment will be a very big piece of that jigsaw," said Mr Constantine.

Club CEO George Liolio confirmed that Richard Money will now return to the UK for a couple of weeks to organise his family’s move to Australia.

"We expect him to be back on deck here in Newcastle within the next two to three weeks. It’s an exciting time for the club and an exciting time for football fans in the Hunter. We are now full steam ahead for preparations for our opening match against Adelaide United at Energy Australia Stadium on Friday August 26," said Mr Liolio.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.