Manager: Richard Money
Assistant: John Paul de Marigny, Gary Van Egmond

Fansite: Unknown

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www2.sbs.com.au/a-league/index.php3?id=55070

In other news, Newcastle are still hoping to sign Paul Okon, which in my mind will be a very good signing. The deal however is in doubt due to Okon's current club Oostende unwilling to give up Okon until the end of the season as they are in a relegation battle, and Newcastle want Okon to play in the Club World Championship qualifying tournament.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I don't think the Jets were founded in 2004. They're the same entity from the old NSL, still owned by Con Constantine and all, just added the Jets to their name.

By the way I think at the moment they are favourites to win the inaugural A-League.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King Italy said:
I don't think the Jets were founded in 2004. They're the same entity from the old NSL, still owned by Con Constantine and all, just added the Jets to their name.
What year were the Strikers founded in? I can't remember.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Guy Bates, a Newcastle United in England junior has signed. Only three more to go now for the strong looking Jets.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Result from Newcastle:

Newcastle United Jets 3-0 Hamilton Olympic

Scorers: Mark Bridge, Franco Parisi, Ante Milicic.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The Newcastle thread has posts :eekani: :) :proud:

i'm not sure if i will even support this side yet, but am now determined to keep this thread on the front page (even if i have to post any crap, whether its related to soccer or not) as befits a city of our prestige :strong: :stuckup:

Wtf is a Sydney? .....:eyepatch: ;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Vagabondo said:
i'm not sure if i will even support this side yet, but am now determined to keep this thread on the front page (even if i have to post any crap, whether its related to soccer or not) as befits a city of our prestige :strong: :stuckup:

Why not? Did you support the old Newcastle in the NSL? I'd get behind it cause the Jets will be pretty big there on and off the pitch.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
King Italy said:
Why not? Did you support the old Newcastle in the NSL? I'd get behind it cause the Jets will be pretty big there on and off the pitch.
King Italy i phrased it badly,what i mean is i'm not sure if i'll be a real supporter who go's to all the home matches, buys the merchandise etc like the federation would probably like everyone to. i'll definitely support the club results wise and that and probably attend some games but i just don't know how far i'll take it yet.

everything is pretty big up here in Newy until someone who's never even been here closes it down on us. it's happened to the BHP, it's happening to our railway, and it'll happen to our uni as well the way things are going. it's just hard to get excited about people trying to make money off us sometimes, but i do hope the team kicks :ass:

i'm not being bitter, but the people who run this league now call the game the "product", clubs strive to become "brands" and us fans are considered a "market". obviously it's the way of the world but it doesn't inspire strong feelings in me or anything.

i now that the epl marketing took/are taking the same approach when they try to expand into Asia, and i hope it is as successful here as it has been for them. i just want to feel that it is more about passion for the game or your town than it is a money-grabbing exercise before i really get behind it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
forgot to mention, i think the "Jets" :yuck: is a shocking name. Just plain boring old "Newcastle United" would have been better. it's too American, next thing you know we'll have a draft system as well :nono:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Half the league is basically American :D The decision to add the Jets name was seen as a bit stupid even among opposition supporters.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
King Italy said:
Half the league is basically American :D The decision to add the Jets name was seen as a bit stupid even among opposition supporters.
so it's ok for me to criticise the league's decision to go with the name "Queensland Roar"? :yuck: ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:scream:

Newcastle thread half way down the second page of the Australian Forum :yuck: :D

Pointless Fact About Newcastle #1

Apparently Newcastle is the world's largest coal exporting port. I'm not sure if this or true or not, but they say so around here a fair bit and I think it depends on the wording a lot. Still, we're right up there with some small coastal town in Queensland and a few of the other delapidated main coal trading centres around the world. :stuckup: :proud:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
King Italy said:
Newcastle may be put on the map if the Jets win the WCC which is looking likely.
:eekani:

Why? Has every confederation other than Oceania pulled out of FIFA and the rest of the Australian clubs withdrawn from the competition or something? :tongue: :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
All I'm saying is all along I reckon the Jets have the best squad and they must be favourites to win the WCC then the A-League.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Sydney will be made favourites because of the Bling Bling'ness of them, however I can see a Newcastle winning it first up. It'd make a pleasant change from the Glory.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts