Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another must-win game coming up next Sunday. Birmingham won again earlier putting them in 5th on 42 points. We are in 8th, 5 points a drift now. We really did need to win the derby :(..

Birmingham play again before us on the Saturday against another team that could be seen by many as easy opposition- Leicester- so they could go 8 points above us before we even kick off against our other local rivals. So a win is definitely needed in my eyes otherwise we will have to endure being second best in Brum again :(. On paper, we really should win but you never know these days with Wolves. They are capable of pulling off those surprise results, especially at Molineux where their form seems to be, as Man Utd fans will tell you.

We have played better away from home this season but still only have 3 wins to show for it. This is a game we really must win if we have any European intentions. This is the last game Gavin McCann will miss before returning from suspension- it seems like forever since he last played..

Prediction

Wolves 1

Ganea

Aston Villa 1
Vassell

Anyway, all previews, news and views to be posted here.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I've got a good feeling about this one - reckon we can do it!!

Wolves 0

Villa 2

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I think ill go back to predicting losses... we should win that way :)

Wolves are proving a very stern side at the molineux and i firmly believe they should have beaten us at Villa Park earlier in the season. Probably going down so I think they would love to give their firm rivals a good caneing before they drop...

Wolves 3

Villa 1
Hitzlsperger

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BARRY DEMANDS EUROPEAN PUSH

Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry believes victory over Wolves at Molineux can trigger another run towards a European spot.

David O'Leary's side embarked on a five-match unbeaten run after beating Wolves at Villa Park in December.

After seeing their recent run come to an end at Everton, Barry is now calling on his team-mate to kick-start their bid for a UEFA Cup place.

He told the club's official website: "The home win against Wolves was the start of a very good period midway through the season. The second-half performance in that game wasn't brilliant, but results are the important thing. So we'll be going there looking for another three points and the performance can come second.

"I think if you're going to set your sights to the highest you've got to aim for Europe, but the next game is always the big one. A positive result on Sunday, as it did in the home game against Wolves, could set us on a good run and put us right up there towards the last few games.

"I think we look a different side now. I think some of the football and the chances we've created in recent games, apart from Everton, has been really good."

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VILLA UNCHANGED

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary is set to rely on the 16 players who were in action at Everton a fortnight ago for Sunday's derby clash with Wolves at Molineux.

O'Leary would dearly love to shake-up his squad but is already down to the bare bones after the departure of 10 players since the end of last season.

Mark Delaney and Marcus Allback are recovering from a foot injury and a groin operation respectively, while midfielder Gavin McCann's seven-week spell on the sidelines is nearly over as he serves the last match of a five-game suspension.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great start. We've been playing very well and lead 1-0! Hitzlsperger with the goal after 7 minutes.

Things are going well and with Leicester doing us a favour yesterday, things are looking up for us Villans :).

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2-0!!

Olof Mellberg with his 2nd goal for the club. This is great :D. Hitzlsperger who scored the first sent the corner in and Mellberg met it with his head. What a player Hitz is becoming. Great start...:):)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The predator- Juan Pablo Angel capitalises on a mistake at the back and makes it 3-0. What a perfect start- couldn't of dreamed this inside 25 minutes. :D:D:D

Wolves 0

Aston Villa 3

Hitzlsperger 7
Mellberg 18
Angel 23

Looks like we've made that 40-point mark 10 games early. We have a great chance to achieve a great position come the end of the season.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's half-time and we lead at Molineux 3-0. Could have been 3-1 but Sorensen saved Ganea's penalty after Mellberg braught down the Romanian forward.

Everything going our way so far, really good news that Sorensen saved that penalty. Let's hope we can get 5 or 6 before the end of the game :).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
last time against wolves we went 3-0 up and then 3-2 :/ remember everyone cackin themselves until final whistle..

Great stuff so far! think it has to be our day this time round though thanks to Tommy Sorensen.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it all ended 4-0. Great result as far as i'm concerned. It was great to see us bounce back from the Everton defeat in such style. Angel added another 2 goals to his tally for the season, reaching the 20-mark in all competitions. It's great to finally have a forward reach this impressive milestone. Juan Pablo is the first Villa player to do this since Dwight Yorke.

Liverpool and Newcastle both lost today to lower opposition which is great for us. If we can finish the season strongly who knows where we could end up. 4th and a CL place is a real possibility now following this weekend's results. It's been a great weekend for us Villa fans :D...

UP THE VILLA!! :cool:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Listening to the game on FiveLive was great! My mum and I were jumping about!!! Extremely good result for us and we go 7th as L'pool managed to lose as well!!!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
VILLA BITE WOEFUL WOLVES
Sunday 14th March 2004
Wolves 0 - 4 Villa
Steve Luckings reports

A woeful first half display from Wolves allowed Aston Villa to gain an unassailable lead as David O'Leary's men won the Midlands derby 4-0 at Molineux.
Thomas Hitzlsperger gave The Villans an early lead and further first half strikes from Olof Mellberg and Juan Pablo Angel put them three up at the interval, before the Colombian marksman grabbed his second of the game in the second half to seal the rout.

Hitzlsperger gave Villa the lead their opening deserved when he ghosted past Jody Craddock and let fly with a trademark left-foot hammer that may have taken a slight deflection off Butler.

The goal on seven minutes marked the 11th time this season Wolves have conceded a goal inside the opening 15 minutes and Hitzlsperger could easily have added a second on 12 minutes but his drive from range drifted wide of the post.

In the 18th minute, Villa were into double figures for their corner count and eventually one was going to cost Wolves dearly which it did when Mellberg headed home.

Hitzlsperger curled the ball in from the right and Mellberg had the simplest of headers to register his first of the season, with Paul Jones hopelessly stranded nowhere near the ball.

Villa had the wind in their sails in a big way with players shooting from all over, with Gareth Barry and Solano going close before Villa struck their third on 24 minutes.

Lee Naylor was the guilty party this time as he allowed a long hopeful ball forward to bounce and with Angel breathing down his neck he attempted to head the ball back to Jones in goal but there was not enough weight on his connection, allowing the Colombian to pounce for his 19th of the season.

The third goal seemed to give the home side a much needed wake-up call and they very nearly pulled a goal back with Jlloyd Samuel having to put in a brilliant tackle to deny Ioan Ganea after good work from Henri Camara.

Hendrie hit the crossbar before Wolves had their best chance to score when Mellberg brought down Ganea in the box and the Romanian picked himself up to take the penalty but was denied by Thomas Sorensen as Wolves walked off at half time to a chorus of boos from the home crowd.

To be honest, Wolves were never going to come out after the interval and play as badly as they did in the first period, and they showed how much their opening 45 hurt them by getting straight at Villa.

Craddock put a volley wide and Mellberg came up with a timely tackle to deny Ganea, with Alex Rae unlucky not to follow up with the loose ball as the Black Country side dominated the opening exchanges.

Inevitably though, Wolves would leave gaps at the back as they chased the game and Angel's superb first touch took him away from Craddock from Solano's long pass and Villa's top scorer toe-poked the ball past the despairing dive of Jones for a 4-0 lead on the hour mark.

Sorensen was much busier in the second half making stops from Camara, Ganea and Rae as Wolves attempted to salvage some pride but Wolves could find no way past the Dane.

The heavy defeat leaves Wolves still in desperate relegation trouble but Villa move up to seventh in the table and confirm their status as genuine contenders for the fourth UEFA Champions League spot.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
how did the 3 south americans peform?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
condor111 said:
how did the 3 south americans peform?
Juan Pablo Angel: Hardly put a foot wrong. Another impressive performance capped off with 2 goals.

Nolberto Solano: Attacked a lot today, decent deliveries and good back-tracking.

Ulises De La Cruz: Defended well as he has been on a regular basis recently. He has also been coming forward a lot- to good effect. I like him a lot. He has been a big surprise this season- doing a very good stand-in job for the injured Mark Delaney.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Well Angel scored 2 goals, so no comment needed! From what I heard Solano played well and De La Cruz seems to have been untroubled by the Wolves attack.

All in all, I would say they all had a good game!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have just seen the goals. Hitzlsperger's the pick of the bunch (as always- when are his goals not special?)...
Angel's 2nd was very well taken- he took the goal just as you would expect a forward full of confidence to.

Sorensen's save from Ganea's spot-kick looked a whole lot better than the radio made it out to be. It wasn't hit straight at him with little pace- he got down to his left well and made a good save in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Impressive, impressive, I have to say.

You finally have a good coach

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O'LEARY HAILS CLINICAL VILLA

Aston Villa boss David O'Leary hailed his side for their clinical approach after they demolished Wolves 4-0.

O'Leary was understandably delighted with the work-rate shown by his side as Juan Pablo Angel scored twice while Thomas Hitzlsperger and Olof Mellberg also netted.

O'Leary said: "We went about it in the right way and got back to being hungry and showing desire.

"We expected a hard game and our goalkeeper made some good saves. But we took all our chances and we killed them off.

"Now we have 10 games left and there are a lot of points for us still to play for."

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Vio, DOL is doing well at the moment - but my test is still the summer buys (how he deals with Deadly's no money policy) and how we perform next year! Agree with his anti-Intertoto policy tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.