Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy vs Ecuador Official Match Thread

Inzaghi is a in doubt and will Del Piero start? Is Delgado fully fit

·
International
8,545 Posts
I went with a draw. Italy are group favourites, I'm sure all of us in this group would not dispute that. However, Italy are traditionally slow starters, that may change this time around but then maybe it won't.

I don't know enough about Ecuador so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here but they did qualify ahead of many others including Brazil.

I think Ecuador can catch the Italians by surprise and score an early goal which will force Italy to come at them and since Italy is more accustomed to defending than attacking, they might have a hard time responding to an early goal.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I would like very much for Ecuador to qualify, but by beating Italy? No..I know very little about them, but I don't think they have the all round strength to beat such a great team :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I am gonna predict a 2-0 win to Italy, but Italy better be well prepared for this tough game.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Italy win. The first two games is very important for second round qualification , and also to top the group. Its serious stuff and Italy will be up to it.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Ecuador coach Hernan Dario Gomez has gone public with his starting lineup for their match against Italy.
Code:
                             Jose Cevallos

Ulises de la Cruz  Ivan Hurtado  Augusto Poroso  Raul Guerron

Edwin Tenorio  Alfonso Obregon  Alex Aguinaga  Cleber Chala  Edison Mendez  

Agustin Delgado

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Italy :( to Win .. Of course I'd like to see the S American Brothers rise to the ocassion..but the Italianos are in another League...It wont be a blow out, no way but the Boys from the Boot take the Loot !!!!

:)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battle will be in midfield. whoever controls the game will probably prevail. Gomez is thinking that he needs to contain Totti to have a shot and he has to tackle as strong as the Italians in the middle as well as covering the wings . After that it'll be Aguinaga to create something or Delgado to poach a goal. Tough task very unlikely but not impossible. :) I see a draw

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
WIN

It's not easy cause Totti has just recover, so I think Italy will start slow in the first half. And maybe the score will be 2-1..

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
www.theworldgame.com.au

Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed that Christian Vieri and Francesco Totti will lead the attack in Monday's clash against Ecuador.

Trapattoni named his team on Thursday following a practice match against local Japanese side Vegalta Sendai in which the Azzurri used a 4-4-2 formation.

The match ended 4-0 in favour of the Italians with Vieri and Totti both bagging doubles.

Also in are Atalanta midfielder Cristiano Doni, who will fill the role on the left side of midfield, and Roma right back Christian Panucci.

"The team for the first game could be this one," Trapattoni told reporters after the game.

"Today I saw the latest step forwards."

There was no place for Alessandro del Piero, with the Juventus man losing out to Roma's Totti for the position of support striker.

Roma skipper Totti is usually used in the hole behind the strikers but Trapattoni has elected to bring an extra defender into the side at the expense of one of his attackers.

Totti's club-mate Vincenzo Montella was disappointed to miss out on a place in attack for Monday's match in Sapporo.

"I thought at one point I would play," he said.

"I thought Del Piero and I would play, but Trapattoni has had a change of mind."

Doni was considered as an understudy for Totti, when the squad was picked earlier this month, but says he is enjoying his role on the left.

"Clearly as a midfielder I have the task to do forward work but also to track back.

"I am not restricted to the flank and can cut inside and help out the attackers as well," said Doni.

About 20,000 Japanese fans have flocked to Italy's first open training session - most of them clad in the blue colours of Trapattoni's squad.

Trapattoni's decision to change his approach from a 3-4-1-2 system on the eve of the finals is a surprise given that Italy were unbeaten during the qualifiers.

But defender Fabio Cannavaro said the late switch was no problem as the players were used to playing in diverse formations in Serie A.

"We are doing well, we are working with this new system but we are all used to playing with a four man defence," explained Cannavaro.

The Italian starting XI will be: Gianluigi Buffon; Christian Panucci, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini; Gianluca Zambrotta, Damiano Tommasi, Luigi di Biagio, Cristiano Doni; Francesco Totti, Christian Vieri.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
TOTTORI, Japan, May 31 (AFP)
Modest Ecuador, competing at their first World Cup finals, are unfazed by their first challenge, which pits them against three-times champions Italy in Sapparo, Japan, on Monday.

Despite their inexperience the biggest disturbance on Friday was unrelated to team affairs but involved Colombian-born coach Hernan Dario 'Bolillo' Gomez expelling a compatriot reporter from the team camp.

Sources within the Ecuadorean Football Association (FEF) said that the unnamed journalist had been making disparaging remarks about Gomez, who demanded his removal.

"If this journalist does not like Ecuador's work let him go elsewhere," said Gomez, who led the squad through to the finals for the first time, amazingly placing second in the ten-nation South American qualifying group to outdo four-times world champions Brazil.

With star striker Agustin Delgado set to overcome an ankle injury in time for Monday's Group G opener against the traditionally slow-starting Italians, the South American underdogs are ready to prove their mettle with Mexico and Croatia also on their hit list.

Unlike his players, Gomez is well-acquainted with the World Cup atmosphere.

In Italia 90 at USA 94 he was assistant with Colombia to coach Francisco Maturana, into whose shoes he stepped at France 98.

The distance to Asia has not prevented some adventurous Ecuadorians making the trip - some with their hair extravagantly dyed in the national colours of red, blue and yellow.

The team have won friends, despite Gomez's altercation with the Colombian, with their open attitude to the tournament, making their training open to allcomers.

And team doctor Patricio Maldonado maintained that spirit in revealing that the team was now injury-free with goalkeeper Jose Cevallos, defender Walter Ayovi and Southampton's Delgado - joint top scorer in the Latin American qualifiers with nine - all over their various knocks.

"Various players arrived at Tottori with a few niggles but these have now gone," Maldonado said.

"Everything has been settled and all the players are in a position to face Italy in the opening match."

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Just the reports came in that france lost the opener to the WC debutants senegal by 1-0.:rolleyes:

Italy will be playing their 1st match with another debutant ecuador. Hope this is not the result in which the match would be ending for us. the squad needs to show some humility and respect towards the new comers. as France was undone by their over confidence.

But we are the dreaded Azzuri and much more powerful than the Les blues. we should come out victorious.

:star: FORZA ITALIA:star: :strong:

ciao

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Don't worry milano77, France are still getting used to being a powerhouse. We've been amoung the best of the best since the beginnings of the world cup so we know how things are done. :D
To be serious I too hope that our team won't overlook Ecuador just because they are debuting in the WC but at the same time not be too cautious because after all we are the ones wearing the blue shirt with 3 stars on it!

FORZAAAAAA!!!

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Yeah, don't worry French defence is old and slow (Lebouef and Desailly) and they lost against Belgium and just beat S.Korea 3-2. They didn't have to qualify for 98' as it was in France and that nor this year as they won 98'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Draw

I'm used to see Italy suffering in such matches. Italy plays great matches with big teams, and.....
Italia-Polonia 0-0
Italia-Bulgaria 1-1
Italia-Eire 0-1
Italia-Cile 2-2

may teach something

milano77 said:

:star: FORZA ITALIA:star: :strong:

Please don't say that. It's a political phrase. No-one has been saying that since 1994. Instead you can say "W Italia" or "Forza Azzurri" or anything you like. But I suppose, you aren't italian, aren't you?

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
That 1-0 defeat to Ireland in 94' WC, when Ray Houghton scored the winner, was the last time we lost a match in 90 minutes in a major tournament.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Re: cannavaro77

Igor Protti said:

Why are you for Italy and not for England??

Dude he might live in England but he probably has Italian heritage. Many people here on Xtratime don't actually live in their country of heritage :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
SENDAI, Japan, June 1 (AFP)
Just two days before Italy open their World Cup campaign against Ecuador in Sapporo there are signs of tension among the strikers who hope to emulate legendary 'Azzurri' such as Luigi Riva, Paolo Rossi and Salvatore 'Toto' Schillaci.

Filippo Inzaghi is returning to fitness quicker than expected but Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni still looks set to start with Christian Vieri up front supported by Francesco Totti against Ecuador in a 4-4-2 formation - assuming that is the case it would be a novelty for 'Trap' who has used a 3-4-1-2 line-up since succeeding Dino Zoff two years ago.

Vieri said Friday that he was not interested in Trapattoni's line-up - so long as he was in it.

"Trapattoni can do what he wants," said the Inter Milan forward who made his international reputation in France 98 with five goals. "I don't mind what system he plays - so long as I play."

Vieri was clearly confident he has got the nod for Ecuador while Trapattoni has constantly said that Totti is the most important weapon at his disposal.

Inzaghi, Italy's top scorer under both Zoff and Trapattoni, knows that he is also in favour and his four goals in Friday's practice match proved that he was returning to fitness quicker than expected - team doctor Andrea Ferretti had ruled Inzaghi out of the Ecuador match because of a knee injury sustained against Kashima Antlers.

But while Friday's four goals show that he might yet make it to Sapporo Trapattoni is unlikely to risk Inzaghi from the start.
Inzaghi can relax in the knowledge that it is doctors and not Trapattoni who are counselling against him. The same can't be said for Vincenzo Montella and Alessandro Del Piero - Marco Delvecchio is also out in the cold.

Montella earlier this week crossed swords with AS Roma team-mate Totti when the latter said that it was natural that he be paired with Vieri.

Montella pointed out that, in his opinion, he had better credentials for that role - at Roma Totti plays in another 3-4-1-2 system behind a front pair including Montella.
"At Roma I play the second striker behind (Gabriel) Batistuta," said Montella curtly.

It was a characteristic outburst from Montella who has often publicly crossed swords with Roma coach Fabio Capello over team selection and whose remarks on Thursday came close to questioning Trapattoni's judgement.

Del Piero, competing in his fourth major tournament for Italy after failing to live up to expectations in the first three, would appear to be equally marginalised.

Totti, Inzaghi and Vieri's pre-eminence was amply illustrated in the negotiations for shirt numbers that took place at the Coverciano training camp before Italy departed for Japan.

Del Piero had to concede the number 10 jersey to Totti that is usually given to the best player in the team, settling for seven.
Inzaghi took the number nine that traditionally goes to the top forward while Vieri was happy to keep the number 21 that proved lucky in France 98.

But Montella and Del Piero can take heart from previous Italian
campaigns where the hero has emerged during the course of a tournament.

Rossi, reinstated in the national team in 1982 after a ban for match-fixing was reduced, only came into his own in the second phase while in 1990 Schillaci, a surprise squad selection, came off the bench in Italy's opening match to score the winner.
Both would go on to win the golden boot for tournament top scorer with six goals.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts