• Draw

Votes: 6 28.6%
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy vs Croatia Official Match Thread

The Croats will probably against the Italians but I don't think they have enough firepower to beat them.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Its going to be an 1-0 or 2-0 win for Italy. Croatia are not the same team they used to be. And Tudor missing they are certainly weaker.

I won't go into my formations or my favourite players. Whatever Trap decides is just fine by me. :) Hoping again to see a solid game by the Italian defence.

But In WC u can't take any team lightly. After Suker's interview, I think he is going to be back with a bang. Watch out.

Ciao

·
Registered
461 Posts
i honestly think that italy should beat croatia...however, after the last game that croatia played (by far their worst in a long time)...i can't see them play like that twice in a row...also...croatia always plays italy tough...without tudor and zivkovic (red card)...the defense dosen't look good...i think croatia will play good enough to deserve a tie.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Win??

Croatia is a good team.. I think even without Igor and Zivcovic.

And it's not going to be easy with Italy if Trap put DP in the last minute. I think it's :yuck:, cause he waste a good talent person with many skills like DP as a subtitute.

Good luck

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
good luck, I hope we show some classic Croatian football on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I hope we will show some classic Italian football on Saturday! :D

SIAMO QUA PER VINCERE!!! NESSUNO CI FERMA!!!

ANDIAMO RAGAZZI!!!

·
Player
343 Posts
Italy seem to be too strong at the moment. I expect Croatia to provide a stiff challenge, but Vieri & co. should do the job.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I also think this will be a very close match, 1 goal should be the difference. I predict 1-0 to Italy, simply because the Azurri look too good right now.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Di Biagio undergoes minor surgery Wednesday 5 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigi Di Biagio underwent minor surgery in the Italy camp today after missing training for much of this week.

The Inter midfielder required the operation to ease the pain of an ingrown toenail that had been troubling the player for some time.

Professors Ferretti and Zeppilli assure that this setback should not rule Di Biagio out of Saturday¡¦s World Cup clash with Croatia.

Meanwhile, Azzurri striker Marco Delvecchio has also recovered from a fitness problem.

The hard-working Roma man requires specially made insoles for his right foot and in the last few days had not been able to take part in full training.

A Vice-Secretary of the Italian FA will fly from Rome to the Italy camp in Sendai with the insoles this week.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Spirits High As Vieri-Inzaghi Set To Start
Italy - Croatia | News Archive

Superpippo will play with his best friend Vieri
06/06/2002. Spirits are so high in the Italian camp that now there is worry of complacency. However, for one man - Filippo Inzaghi - things couldn't be better.

Inzaghi has bounced back well from two injury setbacks and put himself back in contention by displaying his superb form in front of goal. He has scored 7 goals in the last two warm-up games that he has played.

Now, the Italy #9 is ready to take his place alongside his good friend Christian Vieri and torment the Croat defense. "I am now 100% fit and feel that I can help my team and make a difference."

Il Trap has voiced a similar opinion stating that Inzaghi's is invaluable to the team and that he felt the side would need a more direct striker against the stingy Croat defense. "Totti will play a deeper role than he did against Ecuador, just behind Christian and Pippo," the Azzurri boss stated.

Inzaghi meanwhile has busied himself by spending an extra hour after training practicing a secret goal-celebration with Vieri which will be unleashed before their fans should either striker score against Croatia.

The whole of Italy waits in anticipation as two of their finest goal scorers get ready to take the pitch. How many goals will they score between them? Only time will tell.

soccerage

·
Registered
655 Posts
-Croazia is old esp the forward line, they are not the one who rock the world in 1998 or 1996,:depress: ;)

hope Trap can give Montella a chance to show how good he is :) hope BOBO can give us 3 goals:)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
IBARAKI, Japan, June 7 (AFP)
Croatian coach Mirko Jozic said Friday that striker Davor Suker would start Saturday's match against Italy on the bench along with fellow veteran Robert Prosinecki.

After losing their opening match to Mexico in Group G the Croatians need a result against the Italians, who kicked off with a win over Ecuador, to retain a chance of making the second round.

Suker, top scorer in the finals four years ago with six goals which gave his team third place on their World Cup debut, put his poor showing in the Mexico match down to the humid Asian conditions.

Jozic said he would pick his starting 11 from a shortlist of 14 players which did not include Suker or Prosinecki, who were both in his youth set-up when the former Yugoslavia won the 1987 world championship.

"I didn't say they won't play any part in the game. We will see how the situation develops," said Jozic.
Defender Boris Zivkovic is suspended after his sending off against the Mexicans.

Jozic remained upbeat about his side's chances against the Italians who beat Ecuador 2-0 in their opener in Sapporo.
"Miracles do not happen often," said Jozic. "But we have to believe in ourselves.

Attending the press conference was Jozic's predecessor Miroslav Blazevic,the coach in 1998.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
SENDAI, Japan, June 6 (AFP)
Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni Thursday rubbished claims that Alessandro Del Piero had been closed out of the group of players who will confront Croatia in a Group G match on Saturday at Ibaraki.

Trapattoni, who used Del Piero as a substitute during Monday's 2-0 victory over Ecuador, said: "Some papers say Del Piero was out of the group. This is not true - the fact that he played 20 minutes in the last game shows he is not out - Del Piero deserves to be here like the others do.

"He was one of the best in the Championship - all the best players from the (Italian) Championship are here - they all deserve to be in consideration. (Filippo) Inzaghi and (Vincenzo) Montella are also playing equally well."

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
IBARAKI, Japan, June 7 (AFP)
Key for Italy v Croatia World Cup match here Saturday in Group G match:
- Will Italy's trident be a bonus or a liability?

For the first time coach Giovanni Trapattoni can field his three-man strike force with Christian Vieri joined up front by Filippo Inzaghi with Francesco Totti behind in a playmaking role.
But the move comes at the expense of a defender and that could allow Croatia more opportunities than were afforded to Ecuador.

- Do ageing Croatians still have the legs?
No-one disputes that Croatia has very talented footballers at their disposition but the likes of Robert Jarni, Davor Suker and Roberto Prosinecki are the wrong side of 30.

The lack of young talent is a worry for coach Mirko Jozic who will be hoping that old father time does not catch up with his veterans and must do without suspended defender Boris Zivkovic.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Italy with the 3 points.....Does it mean then that Croatia packs their bags ???

:eek:

Forza Italia !! :smileani:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Italy-Croatia
Italy - Croatia | News Archive

Paolo Maldini: A Living Legend (ALLSPORT)
06/07/2002. BACKGROUND
It will be Italy's turn to be tested tomorrow as they meet Croatia in a Group G encounter that will surely decide the fate of the latter in one way or another. Earlier in the week, two big guns, Germany and Argentina, failed to nail down a second consecutive win to advance to the second round and Il Trap will hope that his team do not follow suit.

Croatia are in deep trouble after losing their opening game 1-0 to Mexico and star striker Alen Boksic has announced that the Croat camp is in turmoil. "The atmosphere in the squad is horrible," said the former Lazio and Juventus front man. "Only a stupid person would look for a win versus Italy. I would be happy to settle for a draw because we can only dream of beating them." Not the sort of inspiration you would look to before such a vital clash.

Coach Mirko Jozic has some big decisions to take ahead of the clash as three veterans ?Boksic, Suker and Prosinecki ?absolutely failed to deliver in the country's opening game. Frankly, it is time that the Croat boss showed some mettle by showing what the Spaniards call "cojones." He needs to ring the changes and go with a young, attacking side and give a chance to players like Balaban, Vugrinec, Vranjes, Stanic as well as the gifted playmaker Milan Rapaic.

LATEST TEAM NEWS
Italy: Twenty-four hours ago the Azzurri camp was the epitome of serenity. They had three points in the bag, Totti was in delightful touch, Vieri was firing on all cylinders and Pippo Inzaghi was back to create further problems for their opponents. But, now things seem to be getting a tad nervous in the camp with talk of complacency kicking in. To make matters worse, Paolo Maldini and Luigi Di Biagio, both of who had a great game against Ecuador, are doubtful for the clash. Should they fail to recover, Mark Iuliano and Gennaro Gattuso will replace them. Up front, Francesco Totti will be fielded just behind Vieri and Inzaghi. The latter comes in at the expense of Atalanta winger Doni.

Croatia: As mentioned above, the Croatia camp is in disarray. Former coach Miroslav Blazevic has criticized Jozic's overtly defensive tactics and has challenged his successor to get it right against Italy and salvage at least a point. Hence, Jozic is set to make sweeping changes with domestic league top scorer Ivica Olic to step in for Davor Suker and the impressive Milan Rapaic in for Robert Prosinecki. Boris Zivkovic is suspended and Dario Simic is still nursing an injury, which means that Stepjan Tomas will play in a shaky three-man defense alongside Simunic and Robert Kovac. Robert Jarni will play a wide role as right wingback and try and chip in with the attack.

FORM GUIDE
Italy ?FIFA Rank: 6
The Azzurri have never been great "friendly" match performers. They prefer to expend only as much energy as needed and often fail to bring any emotions to a non-competitive match. However, they have been in very good form of late, primarily due to the fitness of all their players. Apart from the recent Maldini injury, the 23-man squad has been in good shape and has played superbly in their local friendlies. Prior to the World Cup, Italy collected wins versus England and the US, before drawing with Uruguay and finally losing to the Czech Republic in their send-off game. But, as their victory over Ecuador showed, they are on top of their game.

Croatia ?FIFA Rank: 21
The loss against Mexico was the first loss (and the first goal conceded) by the Croats in six games, not including four stunning friendly wins against local opposition. They have beaten Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Hungary in the build up to the cup and had it not been for a lackluster performance in the opening game, they would not have lost that one either. The problem for the Croats is psychological and if they are to bring out the successes of their training matches on to the big stage against a giant like Italy, they will have to sort out their heads first.

WHO'S HOT
Italy: Francesco Totti & Christian Vieri
Francesco Totti is playing some of the best football of his life and he needs to in order to lead Italy to their fourth World Cup. He was simply outstanding against Ecuador, creating several chances and almost scoring twice. Let's see if he can repeat his performance against a tougher opponent. Christian Vieri began his World Cup in style, scoring twice in 27 minutes to seal off an Azzurri win in game one. Now, he looks to inch closer to Muller's record 14 World Cup goals.

Croatia: Milan Rapaic & Stipe Pletikosa
Milan Rapaic was probably the only player who was truly outstanding for Croatia against Mexico. The Fenerbahce midfielder came on for the invisible Prosinecki at half time and created all sorts of trouble for the Mexicans. Should he get more support from his teammates this time round, he could be a real thorn in the side of the Italian defense. 22-year old shot-stopper Pletikosa is also in rich form conceding his first goal in six games against Mexico and will look to keep that form up for his country.

WHO'S NOT
Italy: Paolo Maldini & Cristiano Doni
Italy have received a huge blow ahead of their Group G encounter by learning that record-capped skipper Paolo Maldini has picked up an ankle knock that could keep him out of the starting eleven. While Maldini may recover in time, it is unlikely that Trap will risk him unless absolutely necessary. Cristiano Doni was one of the few Italian players who failed to impress against Ecuador. His apparent unease at having to deal with the pacy De La Cruz combined with the recovery of Pippo Inzaghi have confirmed his absence from the starting lineup.

Croatia: Davor Suker & Robert Prosinecki
Davor Suker and Robert Prosinecki were hard to even find on the pitch against Mexico and unsurprisingly they have both been dropped for the game versus Italy. However, it is a great shame for Croatia as these are two veterans of who a lot was expected. If Croatia were to do well in this World Cup, they needed their older, more experienced players to step up and lead by example. What a shame then, that their two biggest stars (judging by past successes) will be on the bench.

PROBABLE LINEUPS
Italy (4-3-1-2): Buffon; Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta, Iuliano; Zambrotta, Di Biagio, Tommasi; Totti; Inzaghi, Vieri

Croatia (3-4-1-2): Pletikosa; Simunic, Tomas, R. Kovac; Saric, N. Kovac, Soldo, Jarni; Rapaic; Olic, Boksic

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS
Friendly Match, 1999
Croatia 0-0 Italy

Euro 96 Qualification, 1995
Croatia 1-1 Italy

Euro 96 Qualification, 1994
Italy 1-2 Croatia

Friendly Match, 1942
Italy 4-0 Croatia

soccerage

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
colocolo said:
Italy with the 3 points.....Does it mean then that Croatia packs their bags ???

:eek:

Forza Italia !! :smileani:

If Croatia were to lose today, they're only hope of making it to the 2nd Round would be for Ecuador to beat Mexico, and then for Croatia to beat Ecuador in their last match by a couple of goals and for Mexico to lose to Italy.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
King Italy said:

If Croatia were to lose today, they're only hope of making it to the 2nd Round would be for Ecuador to beat Mexico, and then for Croatia to beat Ecuador in their last match by a couple of goals and for Mexico to lose to Italy.
Then its all to be decided in this game.....They cant lose today..period.. If they wait for Ecuador's miracle they have no business in the WC..

1 - 20 of 301 Posts