Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big game coming up on Wednesday night. Fulham sit in 7th on 35 points and we sit in 8th with 33 points. A win at Loftus Road would really put us in a good position as far as reaching Europe is concerned. And with the way we have played as of late I think we could well pick up our third away win of the season.

I expect O'Leary to name an unchanged side from that which beat Leeds at the weekend:

Sorensen

De La Cruz----Mellberg----Johnsen----Samuel

Solano----Hendrie----Hitzlsperger----Barry

Angel----Vassell

Prediction
Fulham isn't the easiest place to go and get 3 points, we lost 2-1 there last season and I'm sure Chris Coleman's side won't make it easy for us, but I think we will come out on top just as we have over the last few weeks (we have scored 9 and conceeded 0 in our last 3 games) :)..

Fulham 1
Malbranque

Aston Villa 2
Angel
Solano

:cool:

All previews, news and views to be posted here :howler:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Fulham 2

Villa 0

Think this will be a toughie for us. A stern test compared with our last 3 matches and i feel Boa Morte could tear our midfield apart. Gareth Barry has been apalling this season and i think without gav McCann our midfield lacks a bit of scrappiness with the fairly young tommy hammer n whittingham pairing in there too.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol another negative prediction- but it seems to be working out alright for you whenever you predict a loss :)

But I honestly think we should be winning these types of fixtures. We have already beat Fulham 3-0 this season at Villa Park- and that was when they had Saha. Since his departure I don't think Fulham have been as much of a threat as they were in the earlier stages of the season. I think we should pull this one off :)...

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DUO IN FITNESS RACE

Dion Dublin and Mark Delaney are Villa’s only injury worries ahead of tomorrow night’s trip to Fulham.

Dublin limped out of the 2-0 win against Leeds on Saturday with a groin strain and was due to train this morning to assess the injury.

Meanwhile Delaney, who was suspended at the weekend, has a slight knee injury and will also be assessed today.

David O’Leary reflected: “We don’t know about Dion at the moment – he’s got a 50/50 chance. But he’s not ruled out yet.

“Mark Delaney has to have a check. He picked up a knock on his knee a few days ago and we’ll have to see how he is.

“Otherwise there’s nothing else and Peter Whittingham comes back into the squad after a one-match ban.”

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
oh when the villa go marching innn.....

I am such a proud Villan. Best frm in years, just in time for the local derby against the Blose!! Come on you Villa.

Best wishes go to Mark Delaney.. horriffic challenge, out for season at least i should imagine.

Fulham 1-2 Aston Villa

great times..

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great...another away win- our 4th win in a row :D. We really are getting good results now and I too can say i'm a happy, proud and satisfied Villan :D.

I'm predicting a lot of our scorelines correctly lately- it's great to see that we are finally winning consistantly :).

Carlos Bocanegra's tackle on Delaney was dreadful. He has injured a vital player for the remainder of the season :(. I expect O'Leary will bring in De La Cruz as a replacement for Delaney. If not her may shift Mellberg to right back and slot Dion in the centre alongside Johnsen. Rob Edwards is still on loan at Derby.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FULHAM 1-2 ASTON VILLA

Fulham endured a nightmare evening at Loftus Road as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa.

The Cottagers had Carlos Bocanegra sent off for an horrendous tackle and may face censure from the Football Association after a bottle was thrown in the direction of an assistant referee.

Fulham could scarcely have made a better start and went in front after just 52 seconds through a fierce Luis Boa Morte strike.

But it was downhill all the way after that as Edwin van der Sar's blunder gifted Juan Pablo Angel a 12th-minute equaliser.

Things went from bad to worse when the home defence went AWOL to let Darius Vassell, just 5ft 7in tall, nod in the winner shortly after the half-hour.

The goal was a timely reminder to England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, whose assistant Tord Grip was here to run the rule over Vassell ahead of next Wednesday's England friendly in Portugal.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O'LEARY OUTRAGED BY HORROR TACKLE

David O'Leary today spoke of his "outrage" over the wild Carlos Bocanegra lunge the Aston Villa boss feared had left Mark Delaney with a broken leg.

O'Leary raced onto the Loftus Road pitch last night when Fulham's American full-back Bocanegra floored defender Delaney, 27, with a two-footed tackle.

The challenge, 15 minutes from the end of Villa's 2-1 victory, earnt Bocanegra a straight red card and left Delaney on a stretcher.

O'Leary said: "I wanted to check it wasn't a broken leg after the game. The doctors have seen the lad and we don't think he's broken his leg.

"It was a disgusting tackle and I was outraged by it. Chris Coleman and his team don't do those type of things. It was a bad tackle, Chris acknowledged that and the referee dealt with it."

Fulham manager Coleman suggested Bocanegra would not be hit by any disciplinary action for his tackle, which will earn him a three-match suspension.

"Carlos went and apologised to Mark so what more can I say to him?" he said.

"He went onto their coach afterwards to shake hands with Mark. I went to see him as well and there's no bad-feeling. The most important thing is Mark's okay.

"Carlos isn't malicious or a bad boy and plays the game the right way. It was a rush of blood and a badly-mistimed challenge."

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Wow, we have reached the heights of 7 and only 2 points behind L'pool in 4th!!!!

We need to defend better against B'ham (the guy commentating on Sky said that both teams seemed to have forgotten how to defend), but I am feeling confident that we can beat the Bluenoses'!

Also nice to see both Angel and Vassell scoring!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MARK DELANEY UPDATE

After seeing the horror tackle last night I feared the worst, but from what i've just read on the official website, it's not as bad as I originally thought:

Villa’s medical staff will wait until tomorrow before giving a verdict on the injury full-back Mark Delaney sustained at Fulham last night.

But club officials remain cautiously optimistic that the Welsh international has avoided serious injury as a consequence of the X-rated challenge that saw Carlos Bocanegra sent-off at Loftus Road.

Delaney is still hoping to be fit for the forthcoming derby clash with Birmingham City and physio Paul Rastrick told www.avfc.co.uk: “Mark’s been for a scan and we’ll know a lot more about the injury in the morning.

“Early indications are good, but we just want to let things settle down before we say for sure. It’s better to be cautious in these circumstances, but we’re optimistic.”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.