Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loser goes home, so a must win game for both sides, this could be one of the most explosive games of the tournament. Who do you think is gonna win?

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,503 Posts
As much as I pull for the Latin Americans.....................France's Reputation on the line .................. I give the French a very tough and tight win over Uruguay.
This will not be a tied game....and yes without a doubt ...the loser packs bags early and just 2 games into this WC.

:cool::cap::cool:

·
94,503 Posts
Lazindo01 said:
France wasn't warm enough in the first game ... they should have in this game ... Uruguay is not that good, they're the 32nd team in WC02
No Way Jose Uruguay is 32nd...Maybe 31st :lala:

Look at Saudi Arabia..if they're not 32nd I dont know who would be ..

:smileani:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ULSAN, South Korea, June 1 (AFP)
Uruguay have already forgotten Saturday's defeat by Denmark and are now looking forward to qualifying for the World Cup second round by beating France in Busan on Thursday, playmaker Alvaro Recoba said.

The Uruguayans were grim-faced and dejected as they trooped out of the stadium following their 2-1 loss - but Recoba insisted that the important games were yet to come, starting with the French.

"We are in the same position as France now and that is good for us, even though we will have to play a lot better to beat them.

"I hope that Zidane will not be playing. As a football fan I have to say it would be better for the spectators if he were to play but it will be in our interests if he doesn't," he added.

"You can see from the Senegal match what a difference he makes."

·
Registered
765 Posts
None of the teams can afford to loose. Therefore a DRAW ;)

·
94,503 Posts
Magic#10 said:
None of the teams can afford to loose. Therefore a DRAW ;)
Buddy...France or Uruguay CAN'T afford a DRAW either....One wins (France) the other packs bags (Uruguay).

:veiled:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hehe my point exactly. I have seen it so many times - both teams need to win and the match ends in a draw.

Also a bit of wish-thinking as Denmark then will be in the last 16 with a victory over Senegal.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Actually Magic is right a draw would keep both teams in the competition until the last game. However both teams would have to win the last game to qualify, and may have rely on goal differential to get through.

I am very torn right now. I want to have faith in my NT, but right now it is very difficult. I dont care if Zidane plays or not, as long as Fabiab O'neill is back.

I'm not trying to say he is equal to Zidane in skill, but he is equal when it come to how important he is to his team.

There were so many give aways by Uru's midfiled against Denmark, it is hard to believe they only beat us by one goal.

O'Neill must be back to marshall the midfield or uruguay will not be able to provide the forwards consistently. Against Denmark Abreu might as well have been sitting in the stands.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
It is going to be a dog fight but you have to believe that France qill prevail , that's too bad because I would have loved to see the charruas in the next round

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Desailly Ready For Cheating Uruguay
France - Uruguay | News Archive

06/02/2002. France defender Marcel Desailly has warned his team-mates that Uruguay will attempt to 'cheat' their way through the two nations' upcoming match on Thursday.

With the pair having both lost their opening clash, the game has taken on added importance with the two teams aware that the loser will go home early.

"Uruguay will be less physical than Senegal but will cheat a lot. We have to win it is as simple as that," said Desailly.

"We are no longer thinking about being world champions but just qualifying for the second round."

soccerage
-----------------------------
uruguay will attempt to cheat??? :confused:

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
France will win this one. They needed that lose, as a wake up call I think. I mean they didn't play bad against Senegal, sure they played under their capacity, but if it wasn't for some goalposts, bars and damn good Sylva, France would've won 3-1 instead, don't forget that.
But this group will be settled in the last round.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Can you imagine France to draw or to lose this match?It will be destruction!!One of the big favorites will be almost out!!

I predict a positive result for the Uruguayans.A draw or a win.If Senegal did the BAAAM why Uru not to continue it?

Now that O'Neill is back you can add one player that can give the ball to the forwards.Also i believe that Magallanes should play in the place of Abreu who was bad in the first game.Silva keeps his one's.Mendez and Montero will have a very difficult job in order to keep Henry and Trezeguet away from goal respectively.

We will see a good game i believe.:happy:

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
France will win this on with ease. It seems like people are forgetting that they are the World and European champions. Just because they lost one game on a bad day doens suddently make them a mediocre team.

France wins the game 2 or 3 goals to nil.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I cant believe Desailly has the phucking nerve to call us cheaters.

I now a way France can win for sure, Recoba has a freak cesar before the game, or maybe if there loosing they can have 20 minutes of injury time.

Maybe if they nationalized all of Senegals players then Senegal wouldn't have a team,and France wouldn't have lost.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
About Desailly's comment on Uruguay being cheaters, well i have to say he may not have been very diplomatic by saying this publically, but nonetheless, that's the real truth. That's what Uruguay have always been famous for, not their free flowing football, to the best of my knowledge...:eek: The whole world knows that, so no need to pretend to be innocent in here...:eek: Uruguay may be one of the rare countries to even beat the legendary Azzuri in the cheating, divings and co...:eek:

Let us hope that what Pua said at numerous times will be true that this match will be a good opportunity for them to play "nice and offensive football" and not the typically Churras style.

Anyways, i expect France to win this game in order for them to keep their chances intact of going through and defending their titles.

For this game, i wouldn't want Zidane to play from the beginning, even if he's fully fit. Zidane should start from the bench, as a joker, in case we need him, as the last resort. We shouldn't take much risks with him specially with the Uruguayen's brutal style.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!:star::star:

France-Uruguay 2-0 (Trez, Titi).

·
Premium Member
43,417 Posts
Payman, Zizou is not the problem or was not the problem for France ... remember what I have told you few weeks ago ... now it was all over the faces of the French players and it is called - arrogance ... you only had to look at Trez face in the 85th minute ... losing 0-1 the opener to Senegal and having this look - we are so great and own the world on his face ... and all of them looked the same ... so you better go down to earth and play as you play against a great team with all the due respect ... otherwise, can't see you doing it again ...

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
desailly cant call uruguay cheaters when hes the one that in either the worldcup final elbows someone in the face in the area.

Should have been sent off and a penalty given to the other team. Now if that had been seen would they be world champions?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I just can't see France losing but because I hate them and my boy Recoba is a Uruguay player and so is Sorondo I predict a very un-humble 1-0 win over France. :dielaugh:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: France-Uruguay
France - Uruguay | News Archive

Henry was one of Les Bleus' better players against Senegal (Allsport)
06/04/2002. BACKGROUND

Win or bust for both sides. Following France and Uruguay's first round defeats it is certain that the loser of this game will be heading home early and that even a draw leaves them in a highly precarious position.

Roger Lemerre's side were anything but impressive in the 1-0 defeat to Senegal and it was widely perceived that they got exactly what they deserved. Defensively they were torn apart at times by the excellent El Hadji Diouf. Centre-backs Marcel Desailly and Frank Lebeouf simply had no answer to the youngster's onslaught.

Full-backs Bizente Lizarazu and Lilian Thuram were ineffective also. We are so used to seeing the pair's surging runs down the flanks but barring a couple of breaks from Thuram, this was barely in evidence.

France were smothered in midfield too where Emmanuel Petit and Patrick Vieira were simply given no room to manoeuvre. Petit, in particular, had an average game with his control letting him down on a number of occasions.

Les Bleus are ready for the challenge ahead though. Desailly has this week spoken of the 'cheating' tactics which he believes the South Americans will employ, while David Trezeguet has also pointed out that 'we don't have to be victim to their tactics.'

Uruguay were slightly unfortunate to come up against such an on-song Danish side as the one that beat them 2-1 on Saturday. It really was a polished performance by the Scandinavians and one which they are perhaps unlikely to repeat against the physically imposing Senegal or world champions France.

Uruguay were relatively poor though. A few moments of genius apart, Alvaro Recoba put in and average performance and as a result the team created little. Dario Rodriguez' superb volley may have been a contender for goal of the tournament, but he's unlikely to pull it off again.

Victor Pua's men lost the midfield battle where Stig Tofting and Thomas Gravesen were in commanding form for Denmark. On the wings Uruguay were also given a pounding by the relentless running of the hardworking Jesper Gronkjaer and Dennis Rommedahl.

How strange that Pua should think that his team deserved better than a draw.

"We played well and a better result in the end would have been more fair," said the coach dubbed 'the fat man'. "They were very good in defence and clinical enough to score from the chances they had. But if that was the only difference between the sides, there's nothing to complain about."

LATEST TEAM NEWS

France: Playmakers Zinedine Zidane and Youri Djorkaeff have undergone medical tests in a Seoul hospital. Although Zidane kicked a ball for the first time since tearing a thigh muscle on Monday and is making good progress with his rehab, he is unlikely to start. Djorkaeff, meanwhile, has a groin injury and has only been able to train lightly.

Uruguay: Dario Silva will start despite not having fully shaken off a knee injury. Fabian O'Neill, though, is ruled out after failing to recover from an achilles injury. Marcelo Romero will come into the side to partner Pablo Garcia in central midfield, while Gianni Guigou drops out. Sebastian Abreu continues in attack despite an average performance against Denmark.

FORMGUIDE

France: Les Bleus' clash with Senegal was their first competitive game in nearly two years. In preparation for the World Cup, Lemerre's side have seen off Romania, thrashed Scotland, been held at home by Russia, beaten in surprising fashion by Belgium and edged past South Korea 3-2. That game was more significant for the injury suffered by Zinedine Zidane.

Uruguay: The South Americans hardly set themselves the most demanding of friendlies in the build-up to the finals. Since the impressive 1-1 draw with Italy in April, Pua's men have drawn with Ghana, lost to the USA, beaten China and seen off Singapore.

WHO'S HOT

France: Patrick Vieira was arguably the most impressive performer against Senegal, but then, that's not saying much. France will need a commanding performance from him as they look for the win that will keep them in contention for a second-round place

Uruguay: Alavro Recoba is the man for the big occasion. If he could perform on a consistent basis he would be a world-beater, but then how many players can that be said about?

WHO'S NOT

France: It would be an understatement to say that Frank Leboeuf had a shaky game against Senegal. While a rating of two out of ten from one British newspaper was harsh, he was certainly given the run-around by the superb Diouf who Leboeuf will surely be glad is leaving the French league.

Uruguay: Sebastian Abreu entered the tournament in good form but rarely looked threatening against a strong Danish defence led by the commanding Martin Laursen.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS

France 1 Uruguay 5 June 1, 1924
Uruguay 2 France 1 July 15, 1966
France 2 Uruguay 0 August 21, 1985

soccerage
----------------------
go uruguay...i don't really support either france or uruguay...but i want to see uruguay to qualify...

france 1-2 uruguay...

1 - 20 of 166 Posts