Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys? Razor, Fred ???????

England are the only team who can prevent four years of universal darkness!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excuse me. What's meant by universal darkness?

Anyway, this is the type of big match I look forward to: classic history, mutual respect, no hatred, no cheating, no hand of god ...

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The match the world wanted to see will take place on Friday, as England come up against Brazil in the World Cup Quarter Final in Shizuoka.

Brazil's 2-0 victory over Belgium in Kobe today ensured that the four-times winners have reached yet another Quarter Final, and that England will face a really tough test on Friday (kick off 7.30 BST).

Many of the England squad and staff were watching in Kobe, as Brazil sealed victory over a dogged Belgian side with goals from Rivaldo after 66 minutes and Ronaldo four minutes from time.

Both of the Brazilian strikers have now scored in every game in this tournament - but they have yet to meet the immovable object of England's defence, with just one goal conceded so far.

The Brazil v England fixture recalls so many memories: Banks' save and Moore's tackle in the 1970 World Cup, and Barnes' mesmeric dribble in 1984 to name just three.

The last encounter was a 1-1 draw in 2000 at Wembley: Michael Owen scored for England.

FA.com

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie Santos said:
Excuse me. What's meant by universal darkness?

Anyway, this is the type of big match I look forward to: classic history, mutual respect, no hatred, no cheating, no hand of god ...
lighten up.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
The match this Friday is very difficult to call. In a lot of the world cup matches so far there has been a clear favourite and underdog and many upsets:eek:
If England can get through I will be very happy but not surprised:D
If brazil win I will be a bit disappointed , but England would of had a reasonably good world cup.:depress:

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In some ways, this is the final match. These two teams have in many ways been the best so far, although England surely had a more difficult road to travel than Brazil.

Will the line-up remain basically the same?

It will be interesting to see who Fifa appoints as referee.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I, too, will be interested in who referees this game as the official in today's game against Belgium was pro Brazil. Let's hope we get a neutral.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I'm maintaining my light and airy pessimism as its stood me and England more importantly, in good stead this world cup. What I will say is that 'football will be the winner on the day'. Now, back to my position on the fence;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Hi guys,
Jus tlike to say that i like a lot England, and it will be a very good game as it has always been
Loads of classic encouters, which i have been fortunate to see 2 of them live!;) The one in 87 and 1990....although i hope the results willbe different......something similar to the one in 95!;) :D

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred Elliot said:
I'm maintaining my light and airy pessimism as its stood me and England more importantly, in good stead this world cup. What I will say is that 'football will be the winner on the day'. Now, back to my position on the fence;)

A Fred-on-the-Fence? Is that like toad-in-the-hole?

come on! England need FredAction. Can't you hop on a plane from NZ? It's not so far to Japan.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Humbird said:

A Fred-on-the-Fence? Is that like toad-in-the-hole?

lol...oh now Humbird, surely I don't deserve that;) :howler:
hmmmm..maybe I do;)

As for Japan, hmmm, if Action Fred can get his act together, maybe I could swin there. Us English are capable of anything when we put our minds to it;)

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Action Fred Swims for England...... I think there's a film script in there somewhere. We could have you valiantly fighting off killer sharks, torpedoes from Brazilian submarines, oh the possibilities are endless. Then there will be the lines of Action Fred toys. With realistic kung-fu kick capabilities.

Yes, I'm off to apply for copyrights on this idea.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Humbird said:
Action Fred Swims for England...... I think there's a film script in there somewhere. We could have you valiantly fighting off killer sharks, torpedoes from Brazilian submarines, oh the possibilities are endless. Then there will be the lines of Action Fred toys. With realistic kung-fu kick capabilities.

Yep, I'm definitely action hero material. Fred 'Topman' Elliot, staring in the all new premier hit 'The man with one T'.....

You can be in it too Hummy old girl, although I'll expect you to be wearing a union jack bikini through out;)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Humbird said:

well, i know who would be interested in one of these dolls, especially if were inflatable. you know who you are... cough.;) :D

as for england's chances, it will pit the best defence versus the best attack in the tournament so far. it will be a classic and i can't wait. i'm not stupid enough to say we'll win, but we've got a good chance.

i have an hunch that anders frisk will referee the game. IMO he's been the best ref so far.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well it must be the apocolypse because in this match I'm cheering for England. You guys havn't played the pretties soccer but you've got the job done fair and square and you deserve to be where you are as oposed to Brazil who cheat and dive and are luckier then hell and don't deserve it.

Could you imagine an England - Germany final, its quite possible actually. When you look at the big teams, England and Germany have been the most consistent in the face of tougher competition. Although who knows in this WC it could very well be Japan vs Korea.

I have to hand it to England they impressed me, not with attractive soccer but with a great amount of efficiency on both ends.

Well this is probably the last time I'm going to ever say this but GO ENGLAND!!!!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Italy's defeat means England are one of THE hot favourites for the World Cup if they can beat Brazil.
We were second favourites BEFORE the Italians were knocked out by S.Korea :fero: .

If we beat Brazil we will win the world cup i'm confindent of this, but we must beat them first :depress:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I feel horrible going into this game because we were just terrible during the Belgium game and if we play like we did then you guys have nothing to worry about playing with us but knowing Brazil when we play a legit contender we come out playing like we should but Big Phil deffinately has to make some changes. First of all, we need Ronaldo & Rivaldo to continue and pressure your defense which has been rock solid so far, and offcourse now that we might get 2 DMC's it'll be easier for Ronaldinho Gaucho to play like he normally does. ;) :eek:

Our defense will have to have the best game of their life and I just hope we see the Lucio of when he played for Bayer Leverkusen during the season or else we will be in deep trouble. Oh yeah if Owen Hargreaves is coming back how will your linuep change? thanks.

Cheers,
Patrick

1 - 20 of 55 Posts