Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Newcastle and Liverpool seem to be running away in the race for that 4th Champions League spot, but we still have a lot to play for in the remainder of the season.

We sit 2 points behind Birmingham, and they play Man Utd this week so we need to take our opportunities when they come. Those 2 points perhaps shouldn't have been dropped last week at home to Man City, but "if only" has been the story of our season :groan:.

Since their Carling Cup final disappointment, Bolton haven't really performed. They've lost quite a few since then and with our recent away form, we'll be looking to add to their misery. Another positive drive we can take into the game at the Reebok will be revenge for our Carling Cup semi-final exit.

This will be our 4th and final encounter with Bolton this season. The previous 3 have resulted in a draw (1-1), a lose (5-2) and a win (2-0)..so we should be looking to prove something on Saturday.

Not too sure what to expect in this one, but i'm going for a Villa win:

BOLTON 1
Pedersen

ASTON VILLA 2
Vassell
McCann

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BOLTON FEAR VENGEFUL VILLA

Bolton’s Stelios Giannakopoulos fears a Villa revenge mission at The Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

The Greek star scored a spectacular overhead kick in January as Villa slumped to a 5-2 Carling Cup semi-final defeat in Lancashire

And he fully expects David O’Leary’s men to be fired-up for the Easter Saturday clash, warning: “They will have to prove that they could have gone to the final instead of us.

“So they will try to overcome that disappointment by aiming to beat us. They’ll be looking to attack us for most of the game.”

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Villa have a point to prove... and it's never going to happen at the Reebok, we are so consistantly awful here over the years it just has to be one of them days to put Bolton's season back on track again and step them clear of relegation.

Bolton 3

Pedersen 2, Djorkaeff

Aston Villa 0

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I feel that the boys will be playing for pride in this game - they want to revenge that terrible defeat that meant we ended up with no silverware (We could have kicked M'boro's ass!).

Bolton 1

Villa 2

Bolton have a scary last 10 mins rally, but Villa hold on!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ANGEL INJURY BLOW FOR VILLA

Aston Villa's hopes of qualifying for Europe have suffered a major setback with top scorer Juan Pablo Angel facing three weeks out of action with a knee problem.

The Colombian international is certain to miss Villa's next four matches with Bolton, Chelsea, Newcastle and Middlesbrough.

Angel has scored 21 goals this season but he has been playing with a knee problem for several weeks.

And now former River Plate player needs to rest after a demanding schedule of three games in seven days - including a World Cup qualifier for his country in Peru - have taken their toll.

Villa manager David O'Leary said: "Juan Pablo will be out of action for around about three weeks and we are just hoping he might be back for the last couple of games of the season.

"He's had this knee problem for a while and I just think the Colombian trip, the travelling out there, playing the game, travelling back and then playing again so soon afterwards have taken their toll.

"It's a big blow for us because Juan has been excellent for us this season and he has been superb to deal with.

"There have been times before when he has played when I didn't think he would be able to but he has been very committed and I've been delighted with his response since I came here."

Angel could be in contention for the game against Tottenham on May 2, although it is more realistic he will return for last two matches of the season with Southampton and Manchester United.

DAMN:groan:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Yeah this is crappy news! I can't see us winning any of our matches while he doesn't play :(

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, and he isn't gonna reach that 20 league goals, this season anyway. We will just have to battle on without him and try to get something from the season- but it does'nt seem likely without our goal-getter. Being without Angel for these next 4 games at least is a huge blow.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CROUCH TO START

Peter Crouch will start his first game for Aston Villa for two-and-a-half months in Saturday's Barclaycard Premiership clash at Bolton.

The striker will get his opportunity as 21-goal leading scorer Juan Pablo Angel will be sidelined for three weeks with a knee problem.

Crouch's last appearance in the starting line-up saw him net twice in a 5-0 win at Leicester in late January.

The Easter programme has come too soon for Mark Delaney, Marcus Allback and Nolberto Solano to return to action although they are at various stages on the comeback trail after injury.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, he is being rested for the important Chelsea game at Villa Park on Monday.

Just under 5 minutes away from kick-off. Here's the starting line-up:

SORENSEN

DE LA CRUZ
MELLBERG (c)
RIDGEWELL
SAMUEL

HENDRIE
McCANN
HITZLSPERGER
BARRY

CROUCH
VASSELL

I think we'll find it hard this afternoon- but we desperately need the points to stay up there so who knows what Villa will turn up at The Reebok Stadium...

C'mon VILLA :fero:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It's all Bolton really :S our first real attack and we score. Gonna have to be brave n keep our heads down if we're actually keeping hold of these 3 points. Seeing Redgewell in starting XI made me a little nervy.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Made it ta half time unscaved..

Bolton 0-1 Aston Villa

not impressive but if we can win a game that we aren't dominating then it shows how far we have come in comparrison to last season!

good ol' crouchy..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
couple o mins gone n we already conceded. Sorensen and de la cruz went off on one and was an easy enough finish for bolton... crap goal to concede and an awful start to the half.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
2-1 Lee Hendries first goal o the season and he really deserves it. We're making few chances but at least we're taking them!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
lee! lee! lee! lee!

first goal this season for Hendrie, 2-1 Villa.

Both the players you lot were slagging off last season, while i defended them :D

come on man u

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
side note - Danny Jackman just scored for Stockport, Villa released him a couple of weeks back.

yeah Villain, i think you were slating Crouch aswell ;) i like days when players i defend come good

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yeah i met jackman at tamworth during pre season, nice bloke.

Peter Crouch has been lucky to not been sent off for elbowing Nicky Hunt, him and Hendrie booked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.