Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the 4-0 Wolves success there has been much talk of us being able to reach the Champions League- even on The Premiership on ITV! It may seem like crazy-talk but it is very much possible- I mean Charlton currently occupy that 4th position.

If we are to push for at least a UEFA Cup spot, we need to win this game on Saturday. A struggling Blackburn side will visit the 'fortress'; where we have only lost twice this season. The corresponding fixture last season resulted in a 3-0 Villa win- I wouldn't remind a repeat of that scoreline this time around.

Gavin McCann returns from suspension where I expect him to fill in for Lee Hendrie. But I wouldn't be surprised if he starts on the bench as the quartet of Barry, Hitzlsperger, Hendrie and Solano have been terriffic in the last dozen games.

A win and another 3 points is what's required on Saturday as we continue our surge up the table. We should go into the game with a lot of confidence, hence my prediction:

ASTON VILLA 3
Angel (2)
Vassell

BLACKBURN 1
Cole

Anyways, all previews, news & views to be posted here...:cool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I actually quite fancy going to this one! dunno why but its apealed to me all of a sudden. Might make a phonecall for a ticket in a mo :)

McCann's back, sun shining over villa park and the scummers lost to moleicester.. Good, good times.

Aston Villa 0

Blackburn 1
Cole

(Just because i'm becoming superstitious lol, every time ive predicted a villa win, we lose, and visa versa..)

Up the Villa.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Villa 2
Angel, Hitzlsperger

Blackburn 1
Yorke

Fancy us to win, but reckon it'll be a tough match that goes down to the wire - home advantage will pull us through in the end tho

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you really can't tell with Blackburn this season. They have shown no consistancy at all this season (kinda reminds me of us last season), yet they are more than capable of playing some very attractive football. I see Blackburn as a side who can beat anyone on their day- I mean they did the double over Arsenal last season.

But I do expect us to get through this one and prevail as victors if we maintain the sort of form we've shown over the last few months. There's also that small matter of home advantage that should give us that extra inspiration :D...

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HITZLSPERGER DETERMINED TO HOLD ONTO PLACE

Thomas Hitzlsperger has revealed his determination to hold onto his first-team place at Aston Villa despite the return of key midfielder Gavin McCann.

McCann is back available for Saturday's home Premiership clash with Blackburn Rovers after serving a five match suspension.

His absence has spanned seven weeks because of Villa experiencing two blank weekends due to their early FA Cup exit and he may have to be content with a place on the bench against Graeme Souness' side.

But Hitzlsperger knows that McCann is likely to return to the starting line-up at some juncture after his impressive form since his £2million summer move from Sunderland.

Hitzlsperger said: "Gavin is an important player to us for his defensive qualities and has the experience we need. I am looking forward to his return but I'm also thinking of myself because I need to stay in the side."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really can't see Hitzlsperger making way for McCann- that would be a big mistake on O'Leary's part. Hitz is playing some of the best football we've seen of him- he's had a good run in the first team, is scoring goals and is enjoying his football. But then again, like I say, the midfield quartet have all been playing very good football. If McCann is to come straight back into the starting XI, I would expect Lee Hendrie to be the one to drop to the bench.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
May be unimportant..but this was post number 10000. Impressive figure. Congrats.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ad & Villain but it wouldn't have been done without your help either. It's good to see our forum reach that 5-digit milestone :). Long let the happy times at the greatest place in the world continue.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
McCANN MISSES OUT

Gavin McCann's hopes of returning to the Aston Villa side for the Barclaycard Premiership match with Blackburn have been ended.

The former Sunderland midfielder picked up an ankle injury in training and will miss the game.

Mark Delaney (foot) and Marcus Allback (groin) are recovering from injuries and are not available for selection.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the 16 in the squad for today's match. The only change in the side is youngster Liam Ridgewell coming in for his full debut in place of Ronny Johnsen who is with his wife who is in labour. Two ex-Villans, Dwight Yorke and Peter Enckleman are on Blackburn's bench today.

Starting XI
1. Thomas Sorensen
15. Ulises De La Cruz
4. Olof Mellberg
24. Liam Ridgewell
3. Jlloyd Samuel
6. Gareth Barry
12. Thomas Hitzlsperger
7. Lee Hendrie
11. Nolberto Solano
10. Darius Vassell
18. Juan Pablo Angel

Substitutes
9. Dion Dublin
13. Stefan Postma
16. Peter Crouch
17. Peter Whittingham
31. Luke Moore

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm glad the weather put me off travelling down now. woeful first 30 minutes.

Villa 0-1 Blackburn, Gary Flitcroft.

No McCann. Barry is having a shocker (nothing new), Ridgewell very nervous and Angel has had one touch.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's not looking great. We can't slip up again if we are to push for this European spot. At least a few other results are going our way:

Chelsea 2-1 Fulham
Middlesbrough 3-1 Birmingham

But we need to turn this game around before those scorelines come into play for us.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'd do anything for McCann and Delaney to be fit :/ we are losing the fight in every section of the pitch, can't remember a worst half of football i've followed for a long time.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Things are just getting worse and worse. No Solano or Barry for the second half, 2-0 down and not playing well at all.

This is just typical, we can never do the job and win those games that we should be winning. At home to a shaken-up Blackburn side should equal a comfortable 3 points the form we're in. But I guess it just doesn't work like that. Another thing that's annoying me is the commentators on The Villan- they don't sound worried or annoyed at all- they seem to be calling it as neutrals.

Terrible, terrible half, couldn't have thought it would be anything as bad as this. The most we can hope for now is probably a draw, but I honestly can't see that happening. Game Over.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i cant stand the commentators on The Villain, they are proper donkeys, as for the match, well, its just typical, Blackburn having loads of problems all week, Villa on form, it was always going to happen.. Luke Moore on for Solano at half time, cmon son.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Full time,

Villa 0-2 Blackburn.

This was probably the last match of the season that I looked at as a defo 3 points for the Villa, more fool me. our squad loses McCann, Barry and Solano in the last 24 hours.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.