Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably one of the main fixtures in our calendar coming up- Sunday 22nd February. Villa Park is the venue and I believe the game is being broadcast on Premiership Plus (good news for me :)).

We are yet to beat our bitterist rivals since their promotion to top flight football which is disappointing- but gives us all the more reason to win this time. The game comes at a great time for us- coming off the back of 4 straight victories.

Victory next Sunday will be all that much sweeter as we will be clear of Birmingham who are currently only a point behind us- so a lose would seem disastrous.

Prediction

ASTON VILLA 3

Angel (2)
Vassell

Birmingham City 1
Forssell

All previews, news and views surrounding 'The Big One' to be posted here :)..

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I'm really nervous already about this match - we really need to win to
1) Restore some pride
2) Keep ourselves above B'ham Scum
3) Restore our superiority to all other West Midland clubs as it should be.

I am also fairly confident that we can pull this one off with how we are playing at the moment - I just hope that nerves do not make us lose!

I reckon it will be tight and down to the wire but am going for
Villa 2
Angel 2

B'ham Scum 1
Forssell

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This is my last Villa game o the season that i'm off to! :(

About time we showed the public that Villa are still the pride of Birmingham, and I can't wait cos I can still remember how the atmpsphere was at the 03/03/03 game.

Aston Villa 1
Hendrie

Birmingham City 0

I really dislike Lee Hendrie but as a home grown brummy I would be delighted to see him score in this one. Either Hendrie or Dublin anyway. You can be certain that if we win.. the goalscorer will become an instant legend to the Holte End faithful.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RECHARGING FOR DERBY SHOWDOWN

David O'Leary readily admits he would love to be in FA Cup action this afternoon. But the Villa boss knows a weekend off could be just the boost his players need ahead of next week's derby showdown.

Villa have played 11 League and Cup games since Christmas - winning five out of eight Premiership games over that period.

And O'Leary reflected: "Does the break help? It doesn't harm, but I'd love to be in the cup this weekend.

"If we were in the cup, I wouldn't particularly have liked a trip to Fulham on Wednesday, because we'd have been using the same player for Leeds, Fulham and then the cup.

"So I think with the way we've been churning the players, the weekend off does them more good than harm."

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DELANEY WON'T HOLD BACK

Aston Villa defender Mark Delaney has vowed not to change his committed approach to playing despite his nightmare time with injuries.

The Wales international has endured more than his fair share of setbacks in the past three years. Now he is on the sidelines with a foot injury as a result of being on the end of a horror tackle from Fulham's Carlos Bocanegra in the midweek win at Loftus Road.

But Delaney is not about to alter the way he goes about his game as he faces an uphill battle to be fit for Sunday's derby clash with Birmingham at Villa Park.

He said: "I get my fair share of cuts and bruises and I've been in the wars a bit lately but I'm not about to change the way I play. I'm too old for that."

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
It would be the ultimate torture for Hendrie to score as he is originally a Bluenose!!!!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't care who gets the goals as long as we get at least a few. However, I think it would always be nice for the captain to score and lead the team to victory in such a huge, highly anticipated match-up like the one forth-coming.

Delaney will not be fit, it's been confirmed he should be out for a couple of months- which isn't too bad considering how long he could have been out. But he will be missed- especially against Birmingham.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BRUCE HAILS VILLA REVIVAL

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce has paid tribute to David O'Leary's new-look Aston Villa side ahead of the derby clash on Sunday.

Bruce said: "He's done fine; he's done a good job.

"There seems to be a spirit among them again. They've been in the doldrums for a long time and David O'Leary seems to have lifted them by the boots.

"They have got some good players, with the re-emergence of (Darius) Vassell and Juan Pablo Angel - who looks a real player all of a sudden.

"The manager and his staff need to take a pat on the back, because there were times there when people expected them to keep on struggling."

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Vassell pen? that alone shows how far off you're going to be. If Darius ends up taking a pen, i wont be surprised at losing 3-1 cause Barry, Angel and a few other of our decent players will be off the pitch if we end up letting DV take a pen.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
ya been to many villa games ad?

This is my last o the season :/ Got such a crap seat in the Holte lower L7.

On a side note... I signed for a package to bodymoor heath at work yesterday night :) (i work at some place called Penine parcels that usually sends stuff to the odd footie team but was a first for villa last night!)

Lee :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
nah, i havent had the money, and now i have a job i havent had the time, its a viscious circle..

The only game ive been to is Liverpool away, i need to make sure that i go to Villa Park for a game this season, cant remember the last season i didnt pay at least one visit there..

the worst part is, i catch the train to and from work and the train goes past Villa Park and i know i havent been there in nearly 12 months, its worth crying about.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Well the trains here are too expensive to get up to Villa Park for a game - with the price of tickets put onto a £40-60 (sometimes more) train ticket, its way too expensive for me to go up!!!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
OLOF WILL KEEP COOL
Thursday 19th February 2004
Aston Villa skipper Olof Mellberg has vowed not to let Birmingham's Robbie Savage wind him up when the two meet in Sunday's Second City derby.

The Swedish stopper was furious with the Welsh midfielder after a couple of late challenges in the draw at St Andrews in October.

Mellberg does not know how the former Leicester man escaped a red card for the offences but says that he will be much calmer in return match at Villa Park on Sunday.

"The first was a completely stupid challenge - but he does like to do those things," Mellberg said of Savage's tackles.

"I'll try to focus on my own game. That's the case if we face someone I'm annoyed with - or someone who is good.

"For some players it might lift their game to be angry at a certain person.

"But for me the best way is not to think about who I am playing against."

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
SULLIVAN BACKS 'DEADLY' DOUG
Friday 20th February 2004
Birmingham owner David Sullivan has thrown his support behind Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis, saying he hopes he is able to continue a hands-on approach in his later years.

The 80-year-old has hinted he is willing to take a back seat at the club after years in charge, with rumoured takeover bids from a Venezuelan businessman rife at the start of the season.

Villa Park fans have often shown their frustration with Ellis for him refusing to release funds so manager David O'Leary can strengthen his side with new signings by chanting for him to step down at games, but Sullivan insists 'Deadly' Doug is doing a 'fantastic' job.

He said: "I hear people going on about Doug carrying on in charge at 80. But why not?

"If I'm still around and in as good shape at that age I'd hope to be just as hands-on.

"Doug is a lovely man who has always been very hospitable to us. He is much maligned by a lot of Villa supporters.

"Sure Villa have had a couple of rough years recently. But look at how well they're turning things around under David O'Leary.

"Yet people forget that being chairman of a big Premiership club is no easy task. You can make one wrong decision appointing a new manager and results can be catastrophic."

The two teams do battle on Sunday with The Villans two places above their bitter rivals in The Premiership and will be looking to cement their place as European challengers with victory, after Blues claimed a memorable double last season.

Sullivan said: "Some of our fans would happily lose the next nine or ten games if it guaranteed beating Villa. Yet to me that is nonsense.

"If I could do a deal with my maker and lose on Sunday but win the next three or four matches, I would take it. To me the Villa game is just another game."

In other news, combative midfielder Robbie Savage reckons he has matured as a player.

The Wales midfielder has earned himself a reputation as a wind-up merchant and is loathed by virtually every club in the country bar his own, but the former Leicester man says he believes his football skills are now grabbing all the headlines.

Savage admitted: "In the past people looked at me and the first word they would think was 'idiot'.

"Sometimes it didn't matter what I did. People would say 'It's the same old Savage. He's winding up people'.

"But I think I'm getting some of the credit I deserve now."

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SOLANO EYES DERBY GOAL

Nolberto Solano has set his sights on quickly becoming a hero for Aston Villa - by scoring his first goal of the current campaign in Sunday's second city derby with Birmingham.

Solano has quickly adjusted to life at Villa Park since his £1.5million move from Newcastle in last month's transfer window.

But he is aware just what scoring for his new club against Blues would mean to the fans, especially after they completed the double over Villa last season.

Solano said: "I played in derby games in Argentina with Boca Juniors and then in the north-east with Newcastle against Sunderland and Middlesbrough.

"Everyone knows what those sort of games mean to the supporters and now there is another one coming up against Birmingham City on Sunday.

"Yes, I want to get a goal in that game. I've managed to get a reasonable number of goals in my career but I haven't scored at all this season.

"I also know what it would mean to the fans, especially if we can get the three points."

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well just one more day until the big one. No Mark Delaney, no Gavin McCann (suspended)- these are 2 big players that we would ideally want for the match. This is how I think we'll line up:

Sorensen

De La Cruz----Mellberg----Johnsen----Samuel

Solano----Hendrie----Hitzlsperger----Barry

Vassell----Angel

I am confident we can pick up another 3 points with this side, they've been performing very well of late. UP THE VILLA! :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.