Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still no thread for this game? Well, i guess i have to do the honours once again! :)

Tuesday evening sees the 'hungry' Tottenham visit Old Trafford after a great result against Everton on New Years day. The matches between these two giants (well actually... "between the giants and the mid-table stumblers") are always interesting affairs. I think we are bound to see a good match once again.

Most definatly an unchanged United side, following the win at Boro, will take the park hoping to make it 11 games unbeaten in the league.

Line-Up:

------------Carroll-------------
Phil----Rio----Mickey----Heinze
----Fletch--Keano--Scholes----
Ronnie-------------------Giggs
------------Smith-------------

Prediction:

Man Utd [2] - [0] Tottenham
Scholes
Giggs

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
both teams will leak goals IMO...united playing well and are improving with each game..reckon it will be 3-2 to united.with giggs scoring! again!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
vedz said:
Still no thread for this game? Well, i guess i have to do the honours once again! :)
You can have all the honors. It seems like you bring is good luck. Whenever you post a match thread, we win. Unfortunately, whenever I have the honors, we end up losing. That's why I havent posted a match thread in the last 3/4 games.

Back to the match, I think its gonna be a tough match for us. Spurs played excellently well against Everton. We have to be really careful in this match. We havent been scoring a whole lot, but our defence has been holding strong. Ferdinand and co. will have to be at their best to stop Spurs from scoring. I agree with vedz that we will have an unchanged starting line-up. That is if Ronaldo has recovered from his injury. Any news on that guys?

I will predict a 3-2 win for us.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Tottenham seem to be hitting some top form recently and its no surprise that this upsurge in form coincides with all the attackers enjoying some nice form and brimming with confidence.Carrick has slowly started to assert himself in the Premiership and looks a very good buy.

The same could be said about United.In fact a lot more could be said about us!:ppFergie finally seems to have stuck with a consistent formation and it's no surprise that results have improved as a result.every individual out on the pitch knows what is expected of him and which zones to cover and this in turn has increased the fluency of our play all over the pitch.Not surprising that this rich form has coincided with the stalwarts in the team,particularly Scholes,Giggs and Keano hitting top form and considering the enormous importance and influence these players have on the team,I am delighted to see them stepping up at this crucial juncture.

The formation should be the same against Spurs as well unless fatigue plays a part.The players will have some time off after tomorrow's game so I expect virtually the same to start as against Boro.

One thing Fergie could do is ask Smith to be a bit more forward with his play because recenetly i have noticed that he tends to move back with the ball despite having minimum pressure exerted upon him.He does a brilliant job holding up the ball but his distribution with it is frustrating sometimes.Also he could play as a more central forward rather than drifting to the right or left because Ronaldo and Giggsy are there to do just that.He should see some Ruud's tapes if needed because the giant Dutchman always produced a focal point for our play and we miss that sometimes during the games.

Lets make it 28 out of a possible 30 points and though Spurs won't be easy opposition,the team is showing signs of truly believing in itself and doing the necessary to get the job done.:)

·
International
9,526 Posts
We tend to do well against these....generally their midfield gives up the ghost early on. Hopefully that continues, and we win 2-0.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
We should win, that is unless Silvestre, does a special. Hopefully, Jonesy, Eagles or Richardson get a chance off the bench on the 2nd half. Fergie will rest someone as we can't afford injuries, so maybe they get a go, instead of phil or djemba.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am scared of Jermaine Defoe. I don't know how we will play against him. If you push the line up, he can make an outrageous pass...and if you sit deep he can make at an outrage shot...and if you play your best game he can still do something special. Anyway, I hope United just play the score more goals than the other team philosophy and get like 5.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sHaHed said:
You can have all the honors. It seems like you bring is good luck. Whenever you post a match thread, we win. Unfortunately, whenever I have the honors, we end up losing. That's why I havent posted a match thread in the last 3/4 games.
Hehe :) lets hope it works then, for our sake! :pp

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Drito said:
We should win, that is unless Silvestre, does a special. Hopefully, Jonesy, Eagles or Richardson get a chance off the bench on the 2nd half. Fergie will rest someone as we can't afford injuries, so maybe they get a go, instead of phil or djemba.
Actually we have a couple of weeks off after today's game so Fergie can rest the superstars after tonight's game.We play Exeter in the FA Cup and our fringe players should be good enough to see off the game.

Somebody mentioned Defoe and rightfully so.He has the ability to create goals out of nothing though his only criticism could be that he is a bit too selfish at times.Rio and Micky both have the pace to counter him though they gotta keep a close watch over his movement because his intelligent play often helps to create that bit of extra space from which to shoot.

We have had some high-scoring encounters between these two sides and I see no reason why it should be any different this time out as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
sHaHed said:
3 or 4? we havent lost in 10 or so!

For the match, i hope that Tottenham have some problems injury-wise, i read somewhere that kanoute had a problem, michael brown who normally works very hard in the midfield also has a problem, along with Jermain defoe who has been out with injury.

Whether or not these three play, this is good for united, as even if they do play they shouldnt be on top form

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tottenham will go all out!!! they are a very hungry team and the have alot of firepower!!!! defoe will be huge task to handel, but I still reckon that we will take all 3 points! MAN UTD 2-1Tottenham SCORERS:Smith and Ronnie for ManUtd and Defoe for Tottenham

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I thought Defoe was playing tonight?!?

Any news about the injury anywhere?

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Yep, Defoe has a knee injury, although there are rumours that it's linked to him moving (sacked his agent during contract talks).

Shaf said:
Somebody mentioned Defoe and rightfully so.He has the ability to create goals out of nothing though his only criticism could be that he is a bit too selfish at times.
Yep I agree with that. Although that's what you want in a striker, someone who only thinks about scoring goals, sometimes it's cost us better chances when he hasn't supplied the other forward. However, Everton is one story and Man U another. Against the Red Devils, you need someone like Defoe as he can probably unsettle good defenders more than Keano.

I hope Kanoute makes it as he is currently on top form and is the only forward to utilise Robinson's long kicks (great height and control).

Obviously we are the underdogs, but if ever we were to get something out of this game, it's now (on this form). Unfortunately for us, United are also on top form. Should make for an interesting game.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
yeah, thanks to Man U's 12th man, the ref!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts