Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Boxing Day clash sees the Reds face the tricky Bolton side. :thmbdown:

I hate playing against these guys, they always seem to take points of us. Hopefully that changes this time around!

Line-up?

--------Carroll--------
Gaz-Rio-Mickey-O'Shea
Fletch-Keano-Scholesy
--Rooney----Giggs--
--------Smith--------

Prediction:

Man Utd [4] - [0] Bolton
Rooneyx2
Smith
Scholes

MIGHT ASWELL, WHY THE HELL NOT!?! ;) :thmbup:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
its time to be merry..6-0 to united...

dont say i didnt tell u

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heinze and Ronaldo will be back in the squad so they may feature. I expect Heinze to start but Ronaldo will probably start from the wood.

Carroll
G.Neville Ferdinand Silvestre Heinze
Fletcher Keane Scholes Giggs
Rooney
Smith

I'm a bit worried about this fixture, Bolton have been on a very bad run recently and are due a change of fortune. But if we can pass the ball around like we did last week we should be capable of putting in a couple.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Carrol
Neville/Ferdinand/Slivestre/Heinze
Ronaldo/Keane/Scholes/Giggs
Rooney
Smith

This will be a tough match, Bolton are not to be underestimanted. My heart tells me United will win 3-0, but my brain suggests either a 1 goal win or a draw...

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Bolton are always up for getting a positive result against us.

Draw written all over it :(

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
MagicalEd said:
Carrol
Neville/Ferdinand/Slivestre/Heinze
Ronaldo/Keane/Scholes/Giggs
Rooney
Smith

This will be a tough match, Bolton are not to be underestimanted. My heart tells me United will win 3-0, but my brain suggests either a 1 goal win or a draw...
So, Ronaldo has returned from his short vacation?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Heinze and Ronaldo Return To Festive Action

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that both Gabriel Heinze and Cristiano Ronaldo are in contention for starting places in United's Boxing Day clash with Bolton Wanderers.

The pair were allowed to return to their respective homes for festive breaks, but will now both be available for the Trotters' visit.

"Both Gabby Heinze and Cristiano Ronaldo are back from their breaks," Sir Alex told journalists at his Friday press briefing. "They'll both be added to the squad which will give me more cards to deal with.

"It's a hectic period and like most clubs with strong squads we'll be using ours," added the Boss. "We'll make changes at the right time though. We'll have had an eight-day break [when we play Bolton] since the last game so it's very difficult to make changes straight away. It'll depend on how the lads are who performed last week."

United go into Sunday's festive clash looking to continue in their quest to catch the leading pack of Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton. Aside from the late blip against Fulham, the Reds have picked up 16 points from a possible 18 during the last six Barclays Premiership games.

Sir Alex says he has been delighted with his side's recent performances but insists they cannot afford any more slip-ups.

"There's been a great consistency in our performances, but what we want now is consistency in our results," explains the Boss. "I wouldn't say this time of year is the peak of the season but it's certainly the start of the run-in; I've always looked upon it in that way.

"When you go through December there are sometimes casualties in terms of teams dropping points that they don't expect to drop. What's pleased me so far is that we've hit form at the right time and if we can get through this period up to the FA Cup tie with Exeter, we can then assess where we are and assess where the whole league is. Hopefully we'll be right on the tails of the leaders."

Bolton head to Old Trafford low on confidence, having taken just two points from seven games and failed to register a Premiership victory since 31 October. Nevertheless, Sir Alex is not underestimating a highly experienced Bolton side, who always seem to do well on United's home patch.

"Bolton have had a little hiccup recently but all teams have those," he insists. "Sometimes you can get one or two injuries and it can upset the balance of the team.

"Sides like Bolton rely on a particular way of playing and you need those 11 or 12 players who fit into that model all the time. So that may be a reason for it. But another could simply be because they've hit bad form.

"Sam's done a fantastic job at Bolton," adds the Boss. "And he's done it with meagre resources as opposed to those at the likes of United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"He's also resurrected a lot of careers. Some people probably thought players like Gary Speed, Fernando Hierro and Ivan Campo were at the end of their playing days. But Sam's given them that extra surge in their careers which has been fantastic and has put Bolton in a very good position."

On the injury front, Sir Alex is expecting to have Louis Saha available around the middle of January, while Ruud van Nistelrooy is continuing with his rehabilitation work on his injured Achilles.

"Ruud's injury is a difficult one to assess but we're giving him the right rehabilitation and we hope to have him back for the AC Milan game [in February].

"I expect Louis Saha to be back around the middle of January - certainly not any later than the end of the month."
http://www.manutd.com/
Dear Fergie, Merry Xmas

Gabriel Heinze has thanked Alex Ferguson for letting him “chill out” in Argentina. Fergie sent Heinze on a sunshine break to recharge his batteries for the second half of the season. The Argentine defender, 26, played in the Olympic Games and the Copa America in the summer. And after returning to a hero’s welcome in his hometown of Crespo near Buenos Aires, he said: “It’s been a hectic year and I really needed to chill a bit. The truth is I didn’t expect to be given the holiday and I’m very thankful to the technical staff and to Ferguson in particular. I’m so appreciative and I want to make a point of being grateful for the gesture. Ferguson has been marvellous to me ever since I arrived and it’s a pleasure to be coached by him. I’ve felt comfortable since my first day. I’ve been given everything I needed to do my job well and treated in a first class way.”
:proud:

·
Registered
13 Posts
as long as its 3 points and putting the pressure on the top 3 for the boxing day clash,i'm satisfied no matter how they win it.....be it a scrappy win or a handsome win with a big margin....

·
Registered
98 Posts
1:0 Giggs

Great start for United!!!!

·
Registered
59,816 Posts
Certainly not a good game of football but the better side won and that's about it. The second half was a huge bore and it almost sent me to sleep. :yawn:

Am I the only one that gets the feeling that you guys don't play with strikers AT ALL ! Smith, who on paper is supposed to be your lone attacker, drops to midfield all the time to get involved in the game which leaves your attack pretty toothless and tame. RVN is missed.

- Ryan gigges was brilliant. :star: MOTM in my humble opinion.

- Your backline wasn't put into action as Bolton were shit throughout the match. Roy Carroll wasn't forced to make one single save ! :eekani:

- Okocha was introduced early in the second half and he was invisible. What the hell has happened to him ?! :mute:

- Wayne Rooney ???

- CR was much better today than when he played at Fulham.

Congrats and best of luck in the CL. ;) :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sir Alex Ferguson refused to condemn Wayne Rooney's behaviour after the Manchester United youngster pushed Tal Ben Haim in the face during the 2-0 win over Bolton Wanderers.

The United boss felt the Israeli defender made a meal of minimal contact and did not feel his fiery forward deserved a red card for his actions.

"I've just seen it on your monitor," he told Sky Sports News. "I think the Bolton players, the ones who complained, will be embarrassed.

"The guy made such a meal of it.

"I'm embarrassed for him. I wonder what they'll do about that.

"Certainly, the boy did nothing; just put a hand in his face; absolutely nothing."

Rival manager Sam Allardyce disagreed, thinking referee Dermot Gallagher should have sent Rooney off.

"No question, he put his hand in his face," he said. "I'm still from the rules point of view that you're not supposed to lift your hands.

"It wasn't a bad one by any stretch of the imagination and Tal did go down rather easily but you're not allowed to do it.

"I think if the referee had seen it, under the rules of the game, he'd have no option but to send him off."

Ferguson feared Bolton might snatch something from the game before Paul Scholes wrapped up the points with a late clincher.

"When it's a club like Bolton, you're never sure," he added. "They've done it time and time again to almost every team, when they've gone down. In the last 15 minutes they always create something.

"So I'm happy we defended well and with the control we had of the game.

"We had some great chances and I suppose it's one of those ones. With the nature of our club we have everyone hanging on, but 1-0 victories are championship form. I said that last week. The more we get of them, the more we have a big, big chance but 2-0 is obviously better.

"We had to send Gary Neville and Eric Djemba-Djemba home at lunchtime today as they were suffering from a bug.

"Scholes has not trained all week, until yesterday for the first time, so we thought the bench was the best thing for him. John O'Shea had a bit of it in midweek and I think it's going around at the moment.

"The performances have been very good in the last few weeks. We need consistent results and today goes a long way towards that."

FOOTBALL QUIZ

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Silvestre vs Shevchenko :wallbang: :rollani:

I'll never be a fan of Silvestre. There's no doubt he can be very good at times, but he'll always be prone to an error/blunder every 90 minutes, it's part of his game. And his diagonal hoofballs under no pressure drive me insane. Even if it gets to a red shirt every now and then, by the time he's done calculating where the hoofball will drop and controlling it, 2 opposition players are up his arse already.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Well 2-0 is a good result for us considering the fact that Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton all won. I felt that Aston Villa could have done us a favor and atleast gotten a draw. They certainly did look like getting a result at Stamford Bridge. They even dominated Chelsea in some parts.

Back to our match, we dominated in the first half. Bolton came back to some extent in the second. Giggs was wonderful. He made quite a few good runs. He should have scored atleast two goals for us. Scholes was brilliant too. Keane was quite dominant in the midfield. Smith held the ball up quite well. Other than that he didnt have a single chance to score. Miller really impressed me. He only played a few minutes, but his through balls were really excellent. Heinze was lively.

Rooney was quiet for most of the match. Ronaldo didnt play that great. Fletcher played quite well in the first half, but was invisible in the second half. Silvestre was really shaky in the second half. His performance was anything but solid.

Well all in all three points in the bag, and I hope we can keep on winning coz Chelsea will surely lose points. They didnt look comfortable at all againts Villa.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
great to see the older players liftin the team up...shows that they (keane included) can be counted on...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts