Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was about time this forum had a thread to keep track of the Birinci Ligi in the unrecognised (by FIFA) Northern Cyprus. I'm not sure why no one on these boards talk about this league, probably because it's nowhere near as good or strong as the Greek Cypriot one. I will do my best to update this thread whenever I get the chance and keep people updated about clubs. I can't say I know much about Northern Cyprus despite my parents being from there, born in London myself, but whenever I was over there as a child or young teenager, their league and Cetinkaya particularly interested me (mainly because of the red and yellow. :D)

So I will provide as much information as I can find for this league, players abroad, international team who are the holders of the FIFI Wild Cup (World Cup of non-recognised sovereign states.)

2007/08 Birinci Ligi Teams
Bostancı Bağcıl
Cihangir
Çetinkaya Türk (Current Champions)
Düzkaya
Gönyeli
Hamitköy
İskele Gençler Birliği
Küçük Kaymaklı Türk
Lapta
Mağusa Türk Gücü
Ozanköy
Tatlısu Halk Ocağı
Türk Ocağı Limasol
Yeni Boğaziçi
Yenicami Ağdelen

Titles by Club
Çetinkaya Türk - 12
Gönyeli - 7
Mağusa Türk Gücü - 7
Doğan Türk Birliği - 6
Yenicami Ağdelen - 5
Baf Ülkü Yurdu - 4
Küçük Kaymaklı Türk - 3
Akıncılar - 1
Binatlı Yılmaz - 1

Northern Cypriots Abroad
Kenan Ozer (Besiktas)
Ertac Taskiran (Kasimpasa)
Huseyin Kurpeci (Bangor Regis Town)

More to come soon!

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread like this a long time ago. Also at least there is no teams in the league that ends with spor.

Also I think Lapta is the best team in the league? Im not to sure..

·
*the drum drum*
42,887 Posts
What do you think the S in SK stands for :pp

Only Besiktas isn't a "...spor" club, Kasimpasa, Ankaragucu and Genclerbirligi are SK too, and OFTAS is part of Genclerbirligi anyway.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
They should change that spor to F.C. , it sounds cooler... :D

BTW arent there A.S.(Ltd.) nowadays? :D

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
I've always wondered why the teams don't change the 'spor' at the end of the name. I personally blame Sariyer Serefspor for starting this 'spor' craze. I think they were the first team to have spor included in the name.

·
*the drum drum*
42,887 Posts
I think the A.S. are the 'fake' companies the teams have created to float on the stock market.
I've always wondered why the teams don't change the 'spor' at the end of the name. I personally blame Sariyer Serefspor for starting this 'spor' craze. I think they were the first team to have spor included in the name.
Well they are all sports clubs so call themselves as such.

Apart from Besiktas JK, they're all either SK or "..spor K". It's mainly to do with the lack of original names, they're all named after the city they play in mostly.

Kasimpasa, Ankaragucu, Genclerbirligi, Altay, Karsiyaka, Goztepe. There are some cool(er) names around.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Every club that was founded or merged between 1960 till 1978 had the word 'spor' at the end of their name. Before 1923 all clubs that were funded had a nickname in their team name i.e. Istanbul Rumblers or Black stockings. The only team with a different name is Ankaragucu. The other teams have perished.

Anyways back on topic.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Çetinkaya Türk won the league last season.

I think the league games are broadcasted on BRT on the Turkish Satellite, or it used to be im not to sure now. It's free to view and I think the average attendance is like 1,000 or something for most teams.

The biggest stadium is the 20 temmuz stadium with the capacity of 30,000. From the first league only Türk Ocağı Limasol plays in that stadium.

The team with real supports are Mağusa Türk Gücü, their colours are yellow and green.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Here is an image from last season.

Wearing Yellow-Green is Papa Youssouf (Mağusa Türk Gücü), is carrying Gençlik Gücü's player (Yellow-white) because of his injury after the match.

·
*the drum drum*
42,887 Posts
Black Stockings :D

They were the first Turkish football club, established in a time when it was basically illegal for Turks to take part in football ;) They called the club Black Stockings to make it sound like it was an English team, the players cut their hair and gave eachother new names like "Bob" to conceal themselves.

They only lasted 2 months.

Kadikoy Kulubu was next, and then Galatasaray and later Fenerbahce, all amongst a bunch of foreign teams (Moda FC, Imogene, Elpis etc). They weren't sports clubs, and they weren't even permitted to properly create Turkish football clubs.

The clubs coming about later on like you said are sports clubs. We don't seem to have dedicated football clubs in this country, nor do we have anyone who wants to acknowledge that they're a football club that served other sports later on (I mean CF in Spain means Club de Futbol, and most of them are sports clubs).

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Thanks for the info, :thmbup: i have searched in the internet to learn about this stuff but i couldn't find anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts