Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Javier Aguirre will continue at Atlético and will hold a press conference on Monday at 7 p.m.

With the goal accomplished, a clause in his contract guaranteed the continuity of Javier Aguirre as manager of the Club Atlético de Madrid first squad. After the match played by Atlético at Campo de Mestalla, the Mexican manager reported that he will stay for another season at the head of the Atleti team, adding that he’ll offer a press conference at Estadio Vicente Calderón (7 p.m.) on Monday 19 May, during which he’ll give an overall assessment of the campaign.

Javier Aguirre explained in the Mestalla press room that “I have one year left at Atlético de Madrid. I’m going to fulfil my contract because contracts are to be fulfilled. Out of respect for the people of Mexico, I’m going to hold a press conference on Monday in which I’ll explain all of the details. This next week Enrique Cerezo, Miguel Ángel Gil, Suso García Pitarch and I will sit down and we’ll talk about everything that’s been done well and done poorly, of the highs and the lows. Suso did his job well and already has two players who have made verbal agreements for next season. Sure, we have to improve in many areas, also the work on the pitch.”

Later, focusing on the game played between Valencia and Atlético, the Atleti manager emphasized that “you could say that we had one match more than we needed this season. We didn’t come fired up and we gave leads to an opponent that doesn’t let you off the hook. In the second half, we were better and more serious. We even had chances that could have gotten us back into the match, but they scored their third and that was the end of the story.”

To finish, he wanted to “congratulate Cañizares, who today said farewell to Valencia, for his entire career path”, adding that “Kun is a natural talent because he is humble. I predict that next season will be is definitive explosion.”

clubatleticodemadrid.com

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure of it either, especially considering the team doesn't have a clear idea of how they should be playing. It mostly comes down to Kun, Simão, Forlán and Maxi upfront, they basically determine whether Atlético will score or not.

I think the club needs to dump that double pivote-system, or at least try to find a deep-lying playmaker who knows how to control the tempo of a game. It's tough as it is already, this won't last until next season and imagine if one of Kun or Forlán gets injured for a longer period, especially Agüero.

The biggest problem lies in defence though but our management has already started to buy new defenders, especially with the appointment of Heitinga and Ujfaluši.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
i hate our coach so much, is not because of him atleti is in champions but is because is the most lucky and most boring asshole in the world..i want him out :yuck: :yuck:

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
You guys shouldn't make the same mistake Valencia made in firing Quique without having a decent replacement (I was happy when he has gone but his replacement sucked dutch balls). The only decent guy I think you guys can realistically get is Marcelino but he's off to another team I think. But you guys probably have the cash so you can be ambitious.

He maybe boring but Aguirre will always keep you in the top 5 which is very important for your stability and finances as well. Who knows, maybe with these new defenders and a couple of midfielders you'd be a better team overall.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Not pleased with these news. I think we qualified for the CL this year DESPITE Aguirre, not because of him. His refusal to dump the 2 DM system is the main cause of Atleti's lack of identity on offense.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
i agree with the fact the aguirre is not a coach that is suitable for atleti if the club wants to be among the elite.this season was very much a rollercoaster ride and we were very lucky that we qualified.IMO we should have gone for marcelino as he i find him a better coach than aguirre.We definitely need a creative playmaker as we are too dependent on kun and simao to create as neither maxi or any other player in the team are creative

the system we employ,we also need need quality fullbacks and ours are average at best.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Aguirre for Atletico is like Claudio Ranieri was like for Chelsea, a good manager who will keep you among the elite clubs in you league but doesnt have that killer instinct to win us the title or any other major trophies, i agree Marcelino may have been a better bet but for me why not Mourinho? we are in the Champions League, have a good solid base of a squad to work upon and have finances to make any signings needed.

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The board is probably thinking of more continuity, something this club has lacked for many years and Aguirre has managed to do everything right so far.

Atléti has to invest in a quality midfielder though as fire said, we basically lack someone who knows how to hold on to the ball and pass it around while directing tempo. Maxi and Simão needs a lot more support upfront by someone with lungs, someone who can run for 90 minutes and attack but still do his job properly at the back.

We definitely need to look for two new fullbacks, something of a deep-lying playmaker or at least someone who knows how to control the tempo and a new attacker who can be a back-up to Forlán and Agüero.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I dont think he has done well for Atleti, great he got a cl spot, but I think Atletico havent played up to their potential

·
anti-epl
2,076 Posts
Reading posts here remnds me of ours when we blamed QQ and knew that he would take us to top 4 but not much more.

Well look at our season & learn.Everyone wants to win trophies but stability is importnt rather than shrt term goals.

Give him another season,next season looks good with some good defensive signings.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
no with QQ that was a whole different story.the valencia squad has/had much better player than atleti have at this current moment but he did nothing to improve the play.If koeman fvcks the team that does not mean QQ was some sort of a miracle worker.He was an average coach and so is aguirre

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
qq is MUCH better then aguirre, aguirre is just lucky..seriously i never see a coach so lucky like him

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Reading posts here remnds me of ours when we blamed QQ and knew that he would take us to top 4 but not much more.

Well look at our season & learn.Everyone wants to win trophies but stability is importnt rather than shrt term goals.

Give him another season,next season looks good with some good defensive signings.
But Valencia would have had a better season if they appointed anyone rather than Koeman, that was just plain bad management from the senior figures at the club.

·
Wizard lvl 99
115 Posts
qq is MUCH better then aguirre, aguirre is just lucky..seriously i never see a coach so lucky like him
How the **** is a Coach lucky??? Even if Atleti had X Coach he would have not done any better than Aguirre did due to the horrible defense that Atleti have. This defense is no where near the level they should be.

A Champion team takes time to built it does not happen overnight or with a couple of millionaire signings. With the new defense getting ramped up I am sure Atleti will be a top 8 Champions League team and compete for Copa del Rey/Liga in 2 years.

Why would you dump a Coach that has worked hard with his team to move up little by little. Or did you guys just get Aguirre to get you to Champions and then hire an expensive coach?

Did we forget he took Osasuna to #1 spot of la liga with a team of nobodies? If this guy is so lucky then imagine how lucky he could be with a good backline....:ass:

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're arguing with Maxi :howler:

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Can't understand any of your problems with Aguirre. You qualified for the CL didn't you? What more do you want?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Yes we are happy about that, but we scraped it though and nearly blew it which given 2 or 3 extra games we would have, we also play negative football with him insisting on 2 DM's.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Not only for a matter of stabilty I really can't see why you guys are so hard on Aguirre. Incredible to say that you are in CL despite him... when he is the first coach in years to get you there. He has done quite good (even not getting to CL in the end would have been decent IMO). He pretty much used the best available players with a standard formation.

Double pivot is only a problem because you don't have two very good central midfielders. But I really don't see how one less central midfielder would have improved Atlético this season.Or what formation should have been used instead. Your defence needed protection badly. If anything, Aguirre should be blamed for not getting a top defensive midfielder and not being able to have a decent defense. The two problems are related and both could be solved in part by getting good players this summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts