Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official, according to Marca:
Gerard has agreed on a 5-year contract with Barcelona. The player will receive 400 million pesetas per year (~2.25 million dollars), net I believe. Also, his release clause is set at 31000 million pesetas (~175 million dollars!).
Gerard is expected to fly from Austria (where he is with the team) to Barcelona later today or tomorrow to actually sign the contract.

Ziad

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't worry about Mendieta or Gerard.
True, Lopez, Farinos, and Gerard are gone. The only surprise, personaly, in those is Farinos' departure. Otherwise, we knew about Lopez since last year. And Gerard has always expressed his desire to play for his native city's team. I certainly don't want a player in Valencia who doesn't want to be there!
Also, I am sure Valencia will buy a good replacement.

Ziad

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think Valencia already have a good replacement, Vicente. From everything I have read he is supposed to be a real promising prospect. One thing about Gerard, other than his "hat-trick" versus Lazio I wasn't impressed by him. The times I have seen him play he was good in the air but other than that he didn't do anything that I saw. The biggest loss in my mind (besides Piojo, but everyone knew he was leaving) was Farinos. He was a good enforcer and had a hard shot. He freed up Mendieta to let him be more offensive. With Farinos leaving I wonder if Mendieta is going to have to drop back to be more defensive this season, especially with Zahovic coming in (who is definitely not a defensive player).

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I am still in wonder of who our defenisive midfielder will be? For now it doesn't even look like we will be playing with one. :eek:

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
this isn't that big a loss. Gerard made headlines with THAT hat-trick, but besides that he was average I feel. Barca overpayed and you should be delighted. Zahovic will do much more than just replace him...you'll see:D

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baraja will most probably fill the defensive midfield role.
Deschamps can also do that.

Also, it seems that Kily will have to work real hard to keep his spot in the starting team. Vicente seems to impress more and more, and is becoming a real challenger for that left midfielder's side.

Ziad

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
f yuo see Ruben Baraja as DM, well then good luck!:D This guy is a AM, almost support striker! Nothing to do with defending. This role will be Deschamp's perhaps Milla can fill in too?

Ziad! are you a valencia fan 100%? And are you from Spain?

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Baraja is defensive from what I've read. And Albelda can cover the DM postion as well. I think Milla is more of a side guy. Not sure tho.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
labas, I am 100% Valencia. I'm not Spanish. I'm from Lebanon!

As for Baraja, in Cuper's system, all the midfielders have to do a lot of defending. I see Baraja in the same role as Farinos: A defensive midfielder with frequent runs forward.

The way I see it, all of our midfielders can play that role, except maybe for Milla.

About Milla, he is a center midfielder.
I personally don't like him much, but my opinion is biased by the fact that I have seen very little of him due to his frequent injuries. And he's not getting any younger. Don't get me wrong: he is very talented, but also seems injury prone.

Ziad

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I assure you Baraja is 100% attacking, he cannot defend. I have seen him frequently in Atletico last season, he even scored against Amica Wronki in the UEFA Cup last year.

And to Ziad: Glad to meet you, you are the first guy here 100% Valencia, EclipsE is only 33% Valencia:D:D hehehe There were two guys also Valencia maniacs - Tristan White, (BTW I showed him this place!:D), but they have disappeared. Do you know anything about them EclipsE?

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
That's 33.3% Valenciesta(sp)

Anyway, I always wondered what happend to Tristan White. I hope he is on a long vacation or something. Because he was pretty knowledgable about Valencia, hell he runs the official Valencia fan club.

And I remember when he first came he said that he had access to the net only on the weekends or something so maybe that connection ended for him and he doesn't have access :( :(

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tristan is on vacation.
Tristan and I are part of the penya Valencianista ciberche which was created a couple of years ago (October 1998). Actually, it was initially his idea, and the name penya ciberche was his suggestion (it's a great name!). ciberche became an official penya in February 1999.
We are now about 170 members!
If you want more info on the penya, its members, board, logo, game banner, list, etc..., go to http://www.ciberche.net/english/penya/

Not because it's ciberche's site, but it is truly the best site on Valencia. If you want to know anything about the team, it will be there. And in the rare event that what you are looking for is not there, let me know, and we will add it to the site (if it's relevant of course :)

As for Baraja, labas, I am not saying he is a defensive midfielder, but that he will most probably fill the role Farinos had, which had a lot of defensive responsabilities.
Again, like I said before, all midfielders under Cuper's system have to do a lot of defending.

Ziad

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's right! :)
And at the risk of quickly losing that newfound respect, when I say that "Raul" should be replaced by "Mendieta" in your signature, you should seriously consider it :)

BTW, Tristan is the vice-president of ciberche.
About ciberche, it's a real fun and very energetic penya. And this is only the begining. We are planing some great things in the near future.

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this here or not, but Mendieta has signed a new contract with Valencia, which would earn him a net yearly salary of 400 million pesetas + his image rights. His new release clause is huge (rumoured to be around 30.000 million pesetas).

Also. I just read from Marca's site that Valencia is interrested in signing German international Christian Ziege. I'm not sure why...

That's all for tonight!

Ziad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts