Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baresi accepts Fulham post Thursday 23 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franco Baresi has confirmed that he will be the new Director of Football for Premiership side Fulham.

The London outfit announced earlier this week that the Milan legend would join but Baresi stated that he had yet to make a decision.

However, after a brief consideration period, Baresi has revealed that he will be heading for Craven Cottage and will be primarily responsible for scouting, recruiting players and overseeing the club¡¦s youth academy.

"I still don¡¦t believe that I will be leaving Milan after 30 years here," said the now ex-Milan Vice-President. "It has been a difficult decision to make but I¡¦m convinced it is the right move.

"I needed a new challenge and felt the need to test myself with a new experience. In football it is always right to look ahead.

"I will never forget the great times that I¡¦ve had in Italy thanks to Milan and the supporters. The fact that I am what I am today is all down to the Rossoneri who have always shown me great affection."

Baresi will be aided in his new role by close friend and now former Watford defender Filippo Galli. "He knows English football and I¡¦m delighted that he is teaming up with me at Fulham," added the ex-Italian international.

The former elegant sweeper concluded: "I¡¦m looking to give my very best for my new club. And although it is important to continue with your life one thing is for certain - Milan will always be in my heart."

channel4
------------------------
what do u guys think about that???

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Looks like Al Fayed's getting ready to sack Tigana if things don't turn out right, this is usually a sign of this to happen.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Yeah I think Tigana will be gone, when they dont do a lot this year again. How much has he spent there so far?

·
International
9,526 Posts
This is a very interesting move. Does Baresi hold any coaching qualifications? Certainly, he was one of the best players of his generation, if not the best Italian defender of the last 20 years.
He seems the type of intelligent footballer who'd be able to translate his success on the field as a player, to that of the manager. If I was a Fulham supporter, I'd be excited at the prospect of having both Tigana and Baresi there.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May 24, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham set for Serie A duo
Franco Baresi¡¦s first move as Fulham¡¦s Director of Football could be to bring in Milan defender Alessandro Costacurta ¡V currently out of contract - and Roma striker Gabriel Batistuta. Bologna Coach Francesco Guidolin has also been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Fulham manager¡¦s job in the future.

channel4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts