Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we travel to Turkey for the last group D match without Ruud. Apparently he is suffering from a calf injury and he should be fine for our weekend match against Fulham. According to the media, Fergie is going to rest a lot of the players for this game. I dont know whether that's the right decision or not. However, it should be an entertaining game if the reverse match between the two is anything to go by. Post your thoughts.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Are Eamonn Holmes, Angus Deaton and James Nesbitt going to Fener to support their beloved United? I think we should be told.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
It looks like some Carling Cup players are going to play against us. :lazy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
He won't.

It will be the same back four that played against Arsenal in the Worthless Cup, probably Giggs and Ronaldo comes into the midfield, with Smith and Superman upfront.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Fergie:

"I'll rest a few of the lads. The players who put on a great show against Arsenal last Wednesday will make the trip. The back four of Phil Neville, John O'Shea, Wes Brown and Quinton Fortune will play and I'll also be taking Djemba-Djemba, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Giggs, Bellion and Miller. I'll have to see how Alan Smith is because he suffered a cut on the head today."
I'm guessing:

------------Carroll-----------------

Phil----O'Shea----Brown----Fortune

-----Fletch--Djemba--Miller---------

Bellion-----------------------Giggsy

--------------Smith----------------

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
I'd thought Tim Howler would be in goal as well.:D

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is.

·
International
9,526 Posts
nice one shahed....I'm guessing that Fergie will be resting a few players then as has already been mentioned. Could be a valuable experience for the young lads if the Fener fans have their fireworks etc going off big style....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even worse, No Smith or Giggs in the squad, OMG what a young squad Fergie is taking.
I don't think we will be winning the group with that squad unless Sparta Prague can do us a favour. :rolleyes:

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?i...icategoryid=120

United's Travelling Squad
Goalkeepers: Howard, Ricardo.
Defenders: P Neville, Brown, O'Shea, McShane, Spector, Pique, Picken.
Midfielders: Fortune, Fletcher, Jones, Ronaldo, Miller, Richardson, Poole, Eagles, Djemba-Djemba.
Forwards: Blake, Bellion.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Expect another result like the one against Maccabi last season.Fergie took the kids to Israel and were soundly beaten 3-0 if I am not mistaken.

Ronaldo will probably be in the bench and we'll start off with a 4-3-3 formation with Bellion of all people leading the line.Miller,EDD and Fletcher to form the crux of our midfeild while Eagles and Richardson on the wings?

Phizza and Fortune to cover the flanks at the back while O'Shea and Brown will form the central defense pairing.Oppurtunity for Pique and Spector to come off the bench and impress perhaps.Their inclusion suggests that Fergie thinks these players are not too far away from first team level is encouraging.Would love to see Jones getting some time out in the middle as well!:)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Fenerbahce 2-0 Man Utd (Tuncay, van Hooijdonk)
Lyon to beat Sparta Prague to go top of the table.. and we avoid Barcelona, Real Madrid etc. :D

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Knowing your luck you will. IF we go through (chances are we won't), we'll get one of Juve, Inter or Milan :pp

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
khimik said:
Knowing your luck you will. IF we go through (chances are we won't), we'll get one of Juve, Inter or Milan :pp
Like how unlucky you were to draw a team that got relegated that year. :yawn:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
No real advantage to top finish - Fergie

Stuart Mathieson

SIR Alex Ferguson jetted to Turkey this morning with a 'que sera, sera' attitude to United's final position in Champions League Group D.

The Reds have qualified for February's knockout stages, but the likely line-up for the last 16 promises to be strong, and this season the advantage of finishing top of the section has been wiped out.

Such is the strength of the clubs who could finish second in their groups, a number of heavyweight European matches are on the cards for the knockout stage.

United top Group D going into tomorrow night's final match against Fenerbahce in Istanbul, while second-placed Lyon play Sparta Prague in France.

Sparta have only gained one point so far from United's visit to the Czech Republic and the French champions are expected to win.

Top dogs

That would leave the Reds needing victory in Turkey to secure pole position.

However, even as top dogs, United face the possibility of being paired with tough and glamorous Spanish or German opponents in the last 16.

David Beckham's Real Madrid, in-form Barcelona, Euro veterans Bayern Munich and Bundesliga champions Werder Bremen are all likely to finish second in their sections and go into the hat as possible opponents for Group D's top team.

If United finish second, a trio of Serie A giants - AC Milan, Internazionale and Juventus - could be their opponents after the draw is made at UEFA's Nyons HQ on December 17. All of which has left Fergie believing pride alone will drive the Reds on to finishing top tomorrow.

"I have been analysing the Champions League and we would love to be top of the group, don't get me wrong," the United boss said, "but I don't know if first or second actually matters this time.

"I am looking at it and if we are first who are we going to get, and if we are second who are we going to get?

Fantastic

"If we finish top of our group then we could get either Barcelona or Real Madrid. Both of them are likely to be second in their groups.

"AC Milan only need a draw in their last game against Celtic to win the group. So if Milan draw they are first and if we are second we could get them, but if we are first we could get Barcelona!

"I think Real Madrid are certain to be second so they are in the mix if we finish top. If you are second you look at the teams who have topped their sections or are likely to.

"Then you are looking at Juventus, AC Milan, PSV possibly, Olympiakos, Inter Milan and Dinamo Kiev.

"But finish top ourselves and we can still end up with Real, Bayern Munich or Barcelona, for instance.

"It is six of one and half a dozen of the other.

"That's what you get when you get the best teams in the cup. It is a fantastic tournament."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United's second string headed out to Turkey for Wednesday night's Champions League dead rubber against Fenerbahce with Darren Fletcher insisting the Red Devils can repeat their momentous 1999 triumph.

With qualification secure and only a position at the top of Group D to fight for, Sir Alex Ferguson opted to take what amounted to his Carling Cup squad to Istanbul.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo of the side that defeated Southampton at the weekend was on board the flight and 20-year-old Fletcher was one of the most experienced players.

"We are looking for a good performance from a young team," said the Scotland international.

"Our aim is to top the group but overall we feel confident we can win the entire competition.

"We have performed well in Europe this season and while there are obviously some quality sides in there we have to back ourselves."

Ferguson has already indicated the difference between finishing winners or runners-up in the group is minimal.

Italian giants Juventus and AC Milan could lie in wait if United fail to triumph and Lyon defeat Sparta Prague while Spanish duo Barcelona and Real Madrid could be their next opponents if they maintain their current advantage over the French outfit.

"It is important for our own professional pride to try and win but we won't know whether finishing first or second is an advantage until we get the draw," said Fletcher.

"The main thing is the players on this trip show their potential and prove they are worthy of playing for Manchester United.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts