Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to LigTV the former Fenerbahce player Fatih Akyel has signed for VFL Bochum!

I wish him all the best in his new club!! :) :thmbup:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Fatih agrees Bochum move
Saturday, 27 November 2004
VfL Bochum 1848 have signed Turkish international defender Fatih Akyel on a free transfer.

Saturday announcement
The 26-year-old, who left Fenerbahce SK last month and was part of the Turkish team that finished third at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, has agreed a contract until 2007 and will join up with his new team-mates in January. The club announced the deal after their 3-1 win against 1. FC Nürnberg in the Bundesliga on Saturday afternoon.

Defensive problems
Bochum qualified for the UEFA Cup last season but lost to R. Standard de Liège in the first round. Peter Neururer's side have conceded 28 goals in the current campaign, with only bottom side FC Hansa Rostock conceding more goals in the Bundesliga.
--uefa.com

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
F.Akyel is a top notch player, I hope he reaches his peak because we need players like him for the NT.

Best of luck, heck if I was a turkish player, I'd look for any offer to get out of the Turkish league as well.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Don't know much about Bochum, but Fatih is a Turkish Turk right? I mean he's not like a bunch of players at the big clubs (i.e. Serhat, Mehmet Y., Deniz, etc.) that are Turks born and raised in Germany?
Are there any ties that brought him to that club?
I know Hertha Berlin really went after Basturk to get the support of the 2+million Turks in Berlin. I wonder if Bochum is trying the same...

·
*the drum drum*
43,164 Posts
Yeah, Fatih is a Turkish Turk..

I'm guessing that after GS turned him down, he was looking for a move out of the country instead of playing for a lesser Turkish club. And Bochum probably just came up with the best offer..
Bochum is actually Yildo's old club, not that it has anything to do with this deal (unless the team is based in an industrial area, where there's usually a lot of Turks)..

·
Registered
59,327 Posts
Tolga said:
(unless the team is based in an industrial area, where there's usually a lot of Turks)..
It is, it's in the industrial and coal producing Ruhr gebiet along with Schalke and Dortmund.

I don't think it'd have anything to do with wanting Turkish Germans to visit the game since Bochum basically need all the help they can use. A person who could have tipped Bochum about Fatih is good old Stevic who still plays for Bochum (reserves).
Strange that Bochum aren't doing so well since I think they only sold Hashemian in the summer and for him, they got Lokvenc who's exactly the same kind of striker. Possibly a case of teams working out Bochums style of play or something. Their coach btw, Peter Neururer is one funny character :D Any follower of German footie will know what I mean, but here are some pics which will give you an idea

He also gave Dutch cheese to everyone in the stadium after their Dutch goalie Rein van Duijnhoven broke some record amongst others. Pretty excentric guy :D but in a cool way :cool:

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Bochum...Thats where we sold Stevic right? I remember his blasters :pp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts