Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The official website reports that he'll come on loan from Livorno.

Juventus will pay €700,000 directly to Livorno for loaning him and the club will have an option of buying him at the end of 08-09 for approx. €1,5 million.

He's going to be presented at 15:00 CET on Vinovo.

·
Registered
335 Posts
not familiar with this player. what's his pros and cons? he good enough for starters in Juve?
Or is he just a type of last resort solution at the back?

looks like a big guy, guessing he's not the agile and mobile defender we could use... amirite? :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
he is going to replace Stendardo, and for this role he is more then perfect.
A reliable but not spectacular defender, that will come in handy in next years long season. He also played some games for Croatia in the Euros, but was mostly a sub.
Also I like the buy out clause, if he performs well we can buy him for a reasonable amount of money

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
Well, our main defender last season, Andrade, isn't guaranteed to return to full fitness. We've got Grygera to fill in the central role along with Chiellini. Knezevic should be a back up for them.

He's a good option, in that sense, and at a cheap value I don't think we can complain.

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
Definitely, a much MUCH wiser move, than the Stendardo option.

We were better off keeping the emerging Criscito last season, despite some of his errors.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Welcome Dario :) for a 5th CB (or 4th, dont think Andrade will do squat), you cant complain. Especially estatic that we got rid of frigging Stendardo.

Will be used a bit I would guess, considering we will play in 2 fronts. And if he suprises and does real well, it wont be that big of a hurdle to compete with Legro or Mellberg.

For the Croats, has Robert Kovac (who prolly has a hand in this, in prolly telling Knezevic about Juve) retired for the NT? In that case, will Knezevic become a starter?

Only negative part of this is that it confirms we wont go after a starter CB, which is a shame. Since this was done so quickly, I guess the rumour of loaning Ivanovic wasnt a realistic one.

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was unlikely to happen from the beginning, but Dario is a decent loan for the upcoming season.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Oh, how could one forget the mandatory Youtube clip? ;) Bit weird to use it for defenders, but he seems quite strong tackler.

[tub]3fbf1JKmItk&feature=related[/tub]

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Read what he says in the bold :D We might have contributed to that ;)

Nah seriously, even if you do your individual part well, if you play in a really poor side that lets in goals like nothing, then you cant do much and wont be rated much. Plus even if you play well individually, the rating usually has a different standard for the winners and losers, isnt all that objective most of the time. If your team constantly lose, you will be overlooked most of time.
--------------------------------------------

Knezevic: Dream To Play With Del & Trez

Dario Knezevic has spoken of his delight after completing his move from Livorno to Juventus, and says that it is a dream to be able to play alongside Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezeguet.

Knezevic officially signed for the Bianconeri this afternoon, and his transfer has caused something of a stir, as Torino claim that they already had an agreement with Livorno.

“Since I was a child I wanted to play for a good team,” Knezevic stated.

“I have chosen Juventus and I think that I have done well. I respect Torino, but I have opted to play for the Old Lady and I never had any doubts.”

The 26-year-old hopes to follow in the footsteps of fellow Croat Robert Kovac, who wore the Juve shirt from 2005 until 2007.

“Am I scared of competition? I have no fear and I can do well here. My idol is Robert Kovac and to play alongside Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezeguet is a dream,” he added.

“Last year Juve scored eight goals against us in two games – it wasn’t a great year for me at Livorno.”

Knezevic was part of Croatia’s Euro 2008 squad, however his participation in the finals ended prematurely after suffering a knee injury.

“The medical tests were positive,” Juventus doctor Riccardo Agricola explained.

“There was evidence of damage to a bone in his knee, but it will just require 30 to 35 days to heal. By the end of July he will be able to train with the rest of the players.”

Gianni Wilson

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun30b.html

Juve to steal Knezevic
Monday 30 June, 2008

Livorno’s Croatian defender Dario Knezevic is ready to snub Torino to join Juventus, and Granata chief Urbano Cairo is livid.

Knezevic has unexpectedly become the centre of a Turin tug-of-war as he looks to leave newly relegated Livorno.

Torino seemed to have agreed a permanent deal for the 26-year-old, but city rivals Juve have hijacked the deal and agreed a loan deal, according to Press reports.

According to La Stampa, the Old Lady reached an agreement late last night that sees Knezevic join for a season with £500,000 going to Livorno and the Bianconeri having the option to make the deal permanent for £1m next summer.

However, Toro supremo Cairo still insists that his initial deal with the Amaranto is binding.

“Livorno’s President Aldo Spinelli had a deal with me and I will be declaring it to the Lega Calcio,” he roared. “We will see what happens.

“I spoke to Spinelli last night and I thought that he had a strange air about him, but he reassured me.

“You can’t sell the same player twice. If I did that with a house I would be reported for fraud.”

Knezevic is expected to undergo a medical with Juve later today and could be presented as a Bianconero tomorrow, unless Cairo derails the transfer.

How nice...just another thing that will make the derby great.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Thats not very suprising, who wouldnt make that choice? (the player wanted them when werent in the picture, but not anymore when we were). They probably promised to sell him to Toro, but backed out last second. Cant see how its selling him twice.

Funnily enough it seems like Torino offered the better deal in 3.5m offer but they still chose to loan (with a cheap 1m buy clause) him to us instead :pp

·
Registered
17,740 Posts
Welcome Knezevic, hopefully you can rise above our modest expectations of you.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
He looks strong in the air.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
He seems like a good tackler, also his heading is class.

·
International
8,545 Posts
For the Croats, has Robert Kovac (who prolly has a hand in this, in prolly telling Knezevic about Juve) retired for the NT? In that case, will Knezevic become a starter?
His brother has decided to stay on for a few more games, so Luka Modric will continue to do the work of two players at least until November. As a result, Robert will probably stay with the NT so both brothers can cheat a better (and younger) player out of a position. If he does stay on his spot is not up for grabs. Short of intentionally putting the ball into our own net there's nothing he can do to lose his spot, same goes for his older brother.

He has other competition as well. Although nothing has been said, there's a lot of hope that Srna will finally be moved to RB which would allow for Corluka to move to the middle. Also, Krizanac of Zenit will be called up and he's a pretty good defender, even if he's already 29 and only recently in the picture. He's started to play very well but was publicly critical of Bilic which is why he never got called up. They've settled their differences and he'll be called up for the new campaign. Also, Simunic is still a good defender. He had a bad season with Hertha but he played well at EURO and will be moving to a new club.

He has a lot of work to do to win a spot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts