Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southampton's Pelé called up for Nations Cup qualifier

Reuters in Cidade da Praia

Southampton defender Pelé has been named in the Cape Verde Islands' 21-man squad for Saturday's African Nations Cup qualifier against Guinea in Praia, officials said on Monday.

Coach Zé Rui has named six new players after the island archipelago's 2-0 defeat to the Gambia in their opening Group Eight qualifier last month.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Ernesto (Estoril, Portugal), Raul Pina (Micaelense, Portugal)

Defenders: Bodi (Académica da Praia), Loloti (Sporting da Praia), Nando (US Monastir, Tunisia), Nelson Veigia (Omonia Nicosia, Cyprus), Pelé (Southampton, England), Zé Piguita (Al Ahli)

Midfielders: Gabei (Beira Mar, Portugal), Lito (Naval 1o.Maio, Portugal), Nené (Desportivo Aves, Portugal), Sandro (Vitória Setúbal, Portugal), Victor Moreno (Vitória Guimarães, Portugal), Gilson Silva (Etoile Sahel, Tunisia)

Strikers: Cafu (SC Freiburg, Germany), Caló (Al Sailiya), Hernâni (Desportivo Aves, Portugal), Jerry (US Monastir, Tunisia), Marco Soares (Olhanense, Portugal), Mendes (Académica do Sal), Rodolfo Lima (Portimonense, Portugal).

·
Registered
211 Posts
i follow the results of this team in th wc qualifications
i think this team will be the surprise of africa in the following years

but it is hard for them to qualify to ghana 2008
they will play against algeria and guinea
but why not?

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
it's probably already too late now but former Dutch u21 international David Mendes da Silva who now plays for AZ Alkmaar could've slotted well into their NT

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Why too late Wally? I mean, the chances of him getting into Oranje are slim at the moment. He is pretty young still, so maybe he could take a shot in the dark with Cabo Verde.

I must admit that I honestly don't no 1 player from this side..:eek:

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Prince-O said:
Why too late Wally? I mean, the chances of him getting into Oranje are slim at the moment. He is pretty young still, so maybe he could take a shot in the dark with Cabo Verde.

I must admit that I honestly don't no 1 player from this side..:eek:
that new FIFA rule that you have to switch sides before your 21st or 22nd birthday if you haven't yet played a full international for a country. He's now 24 I believe.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ex-Real defender Ricardo Rocha appointed Cape Verde coach
Reuters in Cidade da Praia

Former Brazilian, Real Madrid and Sporting Lisbon defender Ricardo Rocha has been appointed as the new coach of the Cape Verde Islands' national team, the Cape Verdian Football Federation said on Thursday.

Rocha, 44, replaces Zé Rui, who will be one of his assistants. He has signed a four year contract, officials added.

It is the first major coaching position for the former centre back, who won 60 caps for Brazil and was a member of their World Cup winning squad in 1994 and also played at the 1990 finals in Italy.

Rocha had previously served as coach of Santa Cruz in Brazil.

Rocha's first official game in charge will be next March when Cape Verde visit Algeria in an African Nations Cup qualifier on March 23.

The islanders have three points from their opening two matches and are seeking to qualify for the finals for the first time.

The 2008 Nations Cup finals will be played in Ghana.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Cape Verde confirm identity of coach

The Cape Verde Islands have confirmed Brazilian Ricardo Rocha as their new national team coach but added that he is not the former World Cup winner of the same name. Rocha, who will start his new job in January, was originally thought to be the former Real Madrid defender who formed part of Brazil's World Cup winning team in 1994. The Cape Verdian Football Federation have instead employed Ricardo Cordeiro da Rocha, who they said was a physical training professor from Santa Catarina and the man they wanted all along. A federation statement said Rocha had been recommended by members of the Cape Verdian community in Brazil but that details of his career had been omitted when his appointment was first announced. Rocha, 41, will take charge of the island archipelago's side for the first time when they meet Algeria in an African Nations Cup qualifier in March. The Cape Verdians have won one and lost the other of their opening two qualifying matches for the 2008 finals in Ghana.

Source: BBC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts