Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Might as well open up a topic on my beloved Desert Foxes since I write news bits about them on another site. Algerian has been in decline since about 1994 but with the new generation of players and a new head coach there is a bit of hope for the team. The team just came off a 0-0 draw away to Guinea, who are ranked 4th in Africa. We host Gambia next match in early October. Just a quick update on the Algerian players in Europe:

Hameur Bouazza (Watford), Nassim Akrour (Grenoble), Abdelmalek Cherrad (SC Bastia) and Nouredine Deham (FC Kaiserslautern) all scored goals this weekend.

Bouazza's goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRhtRZVjis
Akrour's goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5env84v3A
Cherrad's goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SZ5T_z4i2M
Deham's goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mrLYSQReA

Also last week Hocine Achiou scored his first goal with his new club FC Aarau in Switzerland and he set up the second goal in the team's 4-1 win over St Gallen. Video of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_WTtfLrI

I'll try to keep this section updated as much as possible and I'd really appreciate if people can do for their respective countries as well!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some more news from the weekend:

HJK Helsinki's Farid Ghazi scored 2 goals in his teams 4-1 win this weekend in Finland. Ghazi now has 10 goals in the Finnish league this season.

Montpellier's 20-year old defender Mohamed Chakouri scored a goal in his team's 2-1 loss to FC Metz in Ligue 2. Its his first goal of the season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xciCUF0pCC8

Mouscron's Karim Fellahi scored a goal as his team beat St Trond in Belgian league action. Its his first goal this season (he scored 4 last year).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Djebbour Suspended For 4 Months

Algerian international striker Rafik Zoheir Djebbour has been suspended for four months by his club Greek clu Atromitos FC after the player had a physical confrontation with the club medic. The problem arose when the 22-year old Djebbour was left out of his team's UEFA Cup tie with Sevilla due to medical reasons, even though he had made his return from injury in the previous game. In 12 games with Atromitos last season, Djebbour notched up 6 goals. He will probably be on the move in the winter mercato.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Algeria Squad For Gambia Qualifier

Algerian national team head coach Jean-Michel Cavalli has announced the squad for Algeria's African Cup qualifier against Gambia. He recalled SC Bastia striker Abdelmalek Cherrad, who last played for the team in a friendly in February. Also back is FC Sochaux midfielder Karim Ziani who missed the last game because of suspension. Squad:

Goalkeepers
Lounes Gaouaoui (JS Kabylie)
Mohamed Ousserir (NA Hussein Dey)
Samir Hadjaoui (ES Setif)

Defenders
Nadir Belhadj (CS Sedan, France)
Madjid Bougherra (Sheffield Wednesday, England D2)
Adel Maiza (ES Setif)
Mohamed Rabie Meftah (JS Kabylie)
Mehdi Meniri (SC Bastia, France D2)
Abderraouf Zarabi (AC Ajaccio, France D2)

Midfielders

Lazhar Hadj Aissa (ES Setif)
Kamel Larbi (OGC Nice, France)
Yazid Mansouri (FC Lorient, France)
Hocine Metref (USM Alger)
Brahim Arafat Mezouar (MC Oran)
Rafik Saifi (FC Lorient, France)
Karim Ziani (FC Sochaux, France)

Strikers

Amri Chadli (FSV Mainz 05, Germany)
Ali Boulebda (US Creteil, France D2)
Mansour Boutabout (CS Sedan, France)
Abdelmalek Cherrad (SC Bastia, France D2)
Noureddine Deham (FC Kaiserslautern, Germany D2)
Hamza Yacef (JS Kabylie)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick update:

-Algeria will face Burkina Faso in a friendly on November 15th in France (either Marseille or Paris region).

-Watford FC striker Hameur Bouazza declared in a recent interview that he wants to represent Algeria and is waiting for contact from the Algerian FA

-According to a local paper, the winner of the Super Cup between JS Kabylie and MC Alger will face either Inter Milan or AS Roma

-Karim Benzema (2nd), Karim Ziani (7th), Rafik Saifi (17th) and Nadir Belhadj (21st) are all ranked among the top 25 players this season by French sports magazine L'Equipe. Ziain and Saifi were also chosen as the top players in Week 11 action.

Finally, Ziani, Belhadj and Saifi's goal this weekend:

http://www.dzfoot.com/videos/verts281006.wmv

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
France head coach Raymond Domenech has called up Lyon's 18-year old striker Karim Benzema to the national team!! I'm pretty sure the only reason he's been called up is to block him from playing for Algeria because there's definitely better strikers right now. As for Algeria, it kinda sucks cause we lose a player who has ENORMOUS potential! I just hope he rejects the call-up or at least, doesnt participate in any official matches.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Bouazza undecided over Algeria

Bouazza has been in good form for Watford this season

Watford's rising star Hameur Bouazza faces an international dilemma after being offered the chance to play for Algeria. The 21-year-old French winger was born in Evry near Paris, but his parents are from Algeria. The football authorities from the north African country have sounded out Bouazza about turning his back on his homeland.

"I've had a call from the Algerian FA, and I don't know what to do," Bouazza admitted. I'm still only 21. I will speak to (Watford manager) Adrian Boothroyd and see what his advice would be.

Bouazza wants to consult France international Claude Makelele about his chances of representing Les Bleus.

"I hope to speak to Claude Makelele and I might ask him about the situation. My dream has always been to play for the French national team. I will just have to see how things fall for me."

It has been a remarkable turnaround for Bouazza, whose Vicarage Road career appeared to be heading down a blind alley when he was sent on loan to Swindon in October 2005. But Bouazza has improved to such a degree he is now a regular for the Hornets.

He added: "I went to Swindon to get my confidence back, and when I returned to Watford, the manager gave me the chance to play. I proved to him that I could play in the Premiership for this team."

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Algeria's head coach Jean Michel Cavalli has called up 20 players for their friendly against Burkina Faso on November 15th in Aix-en-Provence, France. Of the 20 players called up, only 3 play in the domestic league and are all goalkeepers. Cavalli has called up some new faces as well: Bouazza (Watford), Bridji (Heracles), Medaci (Le Havre) and Bouguerra (Club Africain). Striker Mansour Boutabout (Sedan) was dropped from the squad after complaining about lack of playing time in last months qualifier against Gambia.

Lounes Gaouaoui (JS Kabylie, Algeria)
Samir Hadjaoui (ES Setif, Algeria)
Mohamed Ousserir (NA Hussein Dey, Algeria)

Nadir Belhadj (CS Sedan, France)
Samir Beloufa (KSV Westerlo, Belgium)
Madjid Bougherra (Sheffield Wednesday, England D2)
Halim Medaci (Le Havre, France D2)
Mehdi Meniri (SC Bastia, France D2)
Anthar Yahia (OGC Nice, France)
Abderraouf Zarabi (AC Ajaccio, France D2)

Chadli Amri (FSV Mainz 05, Germany)
Karim Bridji (Heracles Almelo, Holland)
Yacine Hima (Olympique Lyonnais, France)
Kamel Larbi (OGC Nice, France)
Yazid Mansouri (FC Lorient, France)
Rafik Saifi (FC Lorient, France)
Karim Ziani (FC Sochaux, France)

Hameur Bouazza (Watford FC, England)
Fouad Bouguerra (Club Africain, Tunisia)
Ali Boulebda (US Creteil, France D2)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probable starting line-up for the Burkina Faso friendly:

Gaouaoui - Larbi, Bougherra, Meniri, Zarabi - Bridji, Mansouri, Amri, Belhadj - Saïfi, Bouguerra

First start for Larbi, Bridji and Bouguerra. Ziani not playing since he's suspended for the next game against Cape Verde. Bouazza did not show up.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Algeria lost 2-1 against Burkina Faso in a friendly in France. The game wasnt televised so I had to rely on comments from people that attended the game. Algeria dominated the first half but could not find the back of the net. The second half the team (especially the defence) fell apart and it seemed like Meniri, Zarabi and Bougherra almost stopped playing, allowing the Burkinabese to score 2 goals, one from penalty. Saifi reduced the score at the end through a penalty (supposeldy imaginary too!). Man of the match on the Algerian side would have to be either Lounes Gaouaoui who had lots of crucial saves or Kamel Larbi, who played as a defender (usually plays a striker or attacking mid for his club Nice). Good game from newcomer Fouad Bouguerra. Poor showing from Karim Bridji in his first game.

Algeria's U21 team tied 2-2 against Egypt in a friendly in Cairo Stadium. Algeria jumped to a 2-0 lead with goals from Boukhari and Yahia Cherif. However, Fahem Bouazza got a red card and Egypt took advantage reducing the score to 2-1 and finally equalized minutes after. Algeria were reduced to 9 men at the end of the game.

http://www.dailymotion.com/CobraSpaces/video/640x480/xncqn_egyptealgerie-amical-espoir

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Barcelona officials and Samuel Etoo in Algeria with Algerian president Bouteflika. Barca officials said they wanted to start partnership with the Algerian FA and maybe open some academies there, something we desperately lack right now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some news:

1. The Algerian national team will host Namibia in a friendly on February 7th in Alger in preparation for their qualifier against Cap Verde in March
2. CS Sedan's Nadir Belhadj is being linked with a move to Lille
3. Saudi Arabian club Ittihad Djeddah have reportedly offered 1.25 million euros for ES Setif's Lazhar Hadj-Assia. However, the player has already stated that he has no intention of playing in the Gulf leagues and wants to move to Europe.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hornets ponder striker swoop

Skysports.com has learnt that Watford have handed an extended trial to Rafik Djebbour as they ponder a January move for the Algerian-born striker.

Djebbour, who holds a French passport, originally joined The Hornets on a three-day trial from Greek side Atromitos on 19th November.

However, after impressing manager Aidy Boothroyd the 22-year-old has been given more time to stake his claim for a permanent move when the January transfer window opens.

Atromitos expect to have the player back in Greece on Monday, so Watford are poised to make a decision regarding his future over the weekend.

Current indications suggest that Boothroyd is readying an offer for the winter transfer window as he searches for a replacement for long-term injury victim Marlon King.

Djebbour has scored six goals in 12 games for the Athens based side so far this season, and is currently contracted to Atromitos until 2009.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Algeria will face Libya instead of Namibia on February 7th in 5 Juillet Stadium in Algiers. So we'll have two North African derbies on that day with Tunisia-Morocco in Casablanca and Algeria-Libya. There should be plenty of fans for both games.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Local papers have reported that Jean-Michel Cavalli had a talk with AC Ajaccio midfielder Seid Khiter about the possibility of joining the Algerian NT. The 21-year old Khiter is a junior French international and his 22nd birthday is right around the corner. He's scored 6 goals in 18 games this season for Ajaccio, where he is on loan from RC Lens. According to the report Khiter is ready to join Les Fennecs and should be part of the team for the friendly against Libya in November.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In another interview, Cavalli said he is in Europe talking to 3 players for the national team. He gave one name: Bayer Leverkusen defender Ahmed Reda Madouni, who's having a great season in the Bundesliga. He hasn't convulged the name of the other 2 but I'm sure its 2 of these 3: Brahim Hemdani (Rangers), Hameur Bouazza (Watford) and Samir Nasri (Marseille). In any case, this coach looks very determined which is a good sign for the team.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some transfer news for the winter break:

-Salim Arrache is probably on his way to Olympique Marseille on a 3 and a half year deal. Arrache has been a free agent since the summer. He last played for RC Strasbourg.

-Nadir Belhadj might finally stay in Sedan until the end of the year as his 4 million euro price tag has become to expensive for the likes of PSV, Sochaux and Lille.

-JS Kabylie striker Hamza Yacef has been linked with a move to FC Nantes. He's also being linked with Tunisian leaders Club Africain.

-Sedan striker Mansour Boutabout might be loaned out to Ligue 2 side RC Strasbourg after failing to get regular minutes with the Ligue 1 side. He's played in 18 games so far this season (8 as a starter) and has scored 3 goals.

-Atromitos FC striker Rafik Djebbour has officially joined Greek top division side Panionios FC. The team has scored just 10 goals in 15 games are hoping Djebbour will solve their offensive woes.

-Montpellier striker Ali Samy Yachir has officially signed with fellow Ligue 2 side RC Strasbourg. Yachir featured just 7 times this season, all at the beginning of the season, before being sent to play with the reserve team after problems with the head coach. The 21-year old will look for a fresh start with Strasbourg.

-US Lecce defender Hemza Mihoubi will be loaned out to Belgian side Charleroi for the next 6 months with an option to buy. The 20-year old has not featured for the Italian side since joining them from FC Metz in the summer.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Serie A side AC Fiorentina will play against MC Alger on January 10th in 5 Juillet stadium in Alger. Should be a great game with Luca Toni and Adrian Mutu. I believe the last time a European team came to Africa was Manchester United in South Africa and before that Olympique Marseille in Morocco against RAJA Casablanca.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Salim Arrache signed a 3 and a half year contract with Olympique Marseille today. He will join Algerian international Mehdi Sennaoui and French-Algerian Samir Nasri (he plays for France at the junior level).

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Nadir Belhadj might finally stay in Sedan until the end of the year as his 4 million euro price tag has become to expensive for the likes of PSV, Sochaux and Lille
Not for Lyon, apparantly.;)

L'Equipe website announce Nadir Belhadj to Lyon, he will stay at Sedan for this season though, loaned.

What are your thoughts on this move/ What do you think about him ?
Keep up the good work on this thread TonyStarks !:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts