Xtratime Community banner

5981 - 5991 of 5991 Posts

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
I am not convinced. The sample isn't big enough to judge. There are high scoring games yes but also low scoring ones in empty stadia. Just recently Argentina for instance won 1-0 against Ecuador, Ireland and Slovakia drew 0-0, in the Egyptian league Zamalek drew with Wadi Degla 0-0 etc..So teams have managed clean sheets in empty stadiums.

High scoring games are not a novelty. Man U lost 6-1 at home to Man City at a packed Old Trafford and beat Arsenal 6-1 and 8-2 in the Alex Ferguson era. High scoring games in full stadium all of them.

Inter winning 4-3 happened also in packed stadium before (SuperCoppa 2006 and the 4-3 derby 06-07), in fact before Corona we won 3-4 at Sassuolo last season. We scored 7 against Sassuolo (twice) and Atalanta years before Corona times so scoring 5 at Benevento isn't something abnormal. I remember a certain 2-5 match but that didn't go too well for us, and in a packed stadium (Firdy knows which match I am referring to..)

Then there are matches like Roma 4-5 Inter, Lazio 4-4 Milan etc..

The band analogy isn't really accurate because a rehearsal is done within people working in the band but we are talking about footballers that are being watched by millions across the world, so certainly there is pressure even in an empty stadium. If I am involved in a band and a concert will be streamed live infront of millions I would be fully concentrated, less so if it's just something with my band mates.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
The sample size is big enough given the time period.

You are totally ignoring frequency.

I am talking about results distributed across a period of 2 weeks, you're talking about results distributed across 20 years. United beat Arsenal 6-1 in 2000/01. The 8-2 was 2011. Yes, over a long enough time period good teams will pick up whacky results and get hammered.

The Benevento match wasn't necessarily that strange - they are terrible defensively, we have a great attack, and Kolarov was playing, so there was bound to be loads of chances on both sides.

What is not normal is Liverpool conceding 7 at a team that just about avoided relegation a couple of months ago and United conceding 6 at home to an awful Spurs team.

The fact that the teams haven't had a pre-season is probably also disastrous. But either way, COVID is affecting things, whether it be through poor fitness/bad concentration or whatever.

I will never forget that shocking error Varane made in Manchester to gift Sterling a goal in the CL in early August. Really amateur Sunday pub league error from a World Cup winner. Bizarre....

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Wait...How are Spurs awful? They were in the CL final in 2019 and most of that team is still there.

It's not like Liverpool never lose, Watford got relegated last season but they won 3-0 against Liverpool..pre-Covid.

7 is a lot obviously though but it could well be a one off thing that will not happen again this season. Can't base a theory/hypothesis on 1 match. Liverpool beat Chelsea and Arsenal prior to the Villa game after all.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
Wait...How are Spurs awful? They were in the CL final in 2019 and most of that team is still there.

It's not like Liverpool never lose, Watford got relegated last season but they won 3-0 against Liverpool..pre-Covid.

7 is a lot obviously though but it could well be a one off thing that will not happen again this season. Can't base a theory/hypothesis on 1 match. Liverpool beat Chelsea and Arsenal prior to the Villa game after all.
It's not based on one match. It's based on City, United and Liverpool all conceding 6/7 goals in a 2 week period. It is not normal.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
It's a one off for those teams til proven otherwise really. Don't think players like Bailly or Lindelof **** up in defence because of an empty OT tbh

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,986
I think it does have an impact in general. I guess it's not so much about the packed stadium (even if this is preferred) but the atmosphere of an empty one.

Lukaku seemed to acknowledge this recently (btw, pls read the whole interview - it's really good):

He discussed how it felt to play inside an empty stadium. Full capacity stadiums are still not expected in 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s really bad, you can really hear everything we say. The lack of cheering is felt, there is a lack of those energies that make the difference.

“Having the stadium full is too good, it’s a life-changing experience. I hope that the fans can return as soon as possible.”

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,987
The band analogy isn't really accurate because a rehearsal is done within people working in the band but we are talking about footballers that are being watched by millions across the world, so certainly there is pressure even in an empty stadium. If I am involved in a band and a concert will be streamed live infront of millions I would be fully concentrated, less so if it's just something with my band mates.
I get what he's saying. Any professional would concentrate fully on the streaming show. The difference is that when you have so many people there with you that you can see and hear right there, there can be this energy feedback loop which can bring things to a different level, no matter how professional you are.

That's a big reason why many people watch live versions of songs instead of the studio versions. They want to see that magic that can be there with a great crowd. The raw energy that Slayer gets back when they come in with the guitars on Raining Blood. They love it and live for it. In a football context, think of how the crowd reaction fed the players in the Samp comeback...and how it was like an avalanche for the opposition.

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,988
Exhibit A:

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Napoli leading 3-0 against Atalanta... must catch a replay of that (was watching the Merseyside derby)

Amazing work by Pirlo to beat Napoli 3-0 with minimum effort..

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Make that 4. Wtf Atalanta.

Looks like Napoli will put 7 past them a la Inter 2016-2017

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Second goal by Chucky was a very nice bender.

5981 - 5991 of 5991 Posts