Registered
16,431 Posts
That's Nax on the right.....

Reactions: Nacka

·
Registered
60,422 Posts

Midtjylland make the CL groupstage. Congrats @Morierinho

Mohamed Zidan's former club. Their first time I think?

I don't like Czech Republic (Nedved, Poborsky) so good to see a Czech team getting routed like that.

May be we will get them in the draw so you and Azz, aka real Dane, can go..

@red the CL draw is tomorrow at 5pm. Will you do the thread?

·
Registered
32,921 Posts
Thanks, I guess. :D

Yeah, probably the first time for them, only FC Copenhagen there since forever (Brøndby in 1998/99?)

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Yes Brondby in 98-99 had that horrible group: Man U, Bayern and Barca wtf lol. Think they had some big losses.

Reactions: Morierinho

·
Registered
32,921 Posts
Yeah, I remember a school mate got really annoying when Brøndby came from behind to beat Bayern 2-1 in Parken.

Man U beat them 1-6 or something, and it kicked in an awful period of United-mania. Probably worse in Denmark than anywhere else, save for Norway (they are famously anglophile). I can still hear the TV3 announcements ... "tonight, from the Theatre of Dreams blah blah blah". Of course, only one game could be shown tuesday/wednesday and it didn't matter if Fiorentina/Bati/Rui met Barca/Rivaldo in another group, it had to be Man U v Panathinaikos or whatever. :mad:

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,947
Yeah, I remember a school mate got really annoying when Brøndby came from behind to beat Bayern 2-1 in Parken.

Man U beat them 1-6 or something, and it kicked in an awful period of United-mania. Probably worse in Denmark than anywhere else, save for Norway (they are famously anglophile). I can still hear the TV3 announcements ... "tonight, from the Theatre of Dreams blah blah blah". Of course, only one game could be shown tuesday/wednesday and it didn't matter if Fiorentina/Bati/Rui met Barca/Rivaldo in another group, it had to be Man U v Panathinaikos or whatever. :mad:
Hey, take solace in the fact it was way worse over here (still is).

If you like football a football here, people assume it's either Man Utd or Liverpool. That's it. Chelsea? You weirdo. Italian club? Now you're just being a prick.

I was in the army in 98/99 and one of my superiors - a non-uniformed non-commissioned officer - knew I was an Inter fan so he told me to go over to his place to watch the game over some beers. He was a massive Man Utd fan and he told me when the team scores, he regularly jumps up, runs in front of the TV and celebrates like a lunatic. I politely declined...told him I'd feel bad if Man U scored and I had to put his head through his own TV.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Was it the first leg at OT when we conceded 2 identical goals ? Beckham crosses, Yorke heads in..

At least that Man U side went to eliminate juve afterwards in Turin in such an epic match. And obviously did a Treble, though fortunate in the final against Bayern.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
@Firdaus seems red won't do the CL draw thread, can you do the honors?

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,950
Go ahead, m8. I've got a ton of stuff to do and need to sleep early so I don't think I can do this justice.

This will take more than the gruelling and arduous work that I normally nail with my opening posts.

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,951
Just one favour...none of the mega teams, pls.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
We may get 2 top teams like the past 2 seasons. Nah I won't do it, I think I did draw threads once or twice recently, didn't go well.

·
Registered
32,921 Posts
Hey, take solace in the fact it was way worse over here (still is).

If you like football a football here, people assume it's either Man Utd or Liverpool. That's it. Chelsea? You weirdo. Italian club? Now you're just being a prick.

I was in the army in 98/99 and one of my superiors - a non-uniformed non-commissioned officer - knew I was an Inter fan so he told me to go over to his place to watch the game over some beers. He was a massive Man Utd fan and he told me when the team scores, he regularly jumps up, runs in front of the TV and celebrates like a lunatic. I politely declined...told him I'd feel bad if Man U scored and I had to put his head through his own TV.
Back in the days of tube TV where you could really smash them.

The United thing somewhat wore off and became a Galactico-mania and then a Ronaldinho-mania... :mad:

I only experienced it from a kid's perspective, but I've been told there was a Milan-mania in the early 1990s, that there were more red/black shirts than white ones in Parken when they beat FC Copenhagen 0-6 in an early EC round.

This was also the time of Cruyff's Barca with Michael Laudrup, though, and most people still followed English football, which had been on Danish TV since the 1960s, or even the Bundesliga, which people at least in Southern Denmark could catch via German TV. In fact, it may have been the era with most variety.

Come to think of it, there was definitely more Barca-mania than Milan-mania in 1993-94, which is why the Athens final came as a surprise (as it did in most places).

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
Was it the first leg at OT when we conceded 2 identical goals ? Beckham crosses, Yorke heads in..

At least that Man U side went to eliminate juve afterwards in Turin in such an epic match. And obviously did a Treble, though fortunate in the final against Bayern.
That was one of my most traumatic memories as an Inter fan.

I really hated English football at the time (a bit less now) and had to deal with all the jokes next day in school.

We were really awful at Old Trafford but IMO deserved to take the game to XT in San Siro. Several sitters missed in that 2nd game while it was 1-0. The subs made the difference: United underestimated the speed of Ventola and struggled with Ze Elias. R9 was horribly unfit and really shouldn't have played. Ventola+Zamorano caused them many problems. Playing Baggio was also the wrong option IMO. Djorkaeff or Ze Elias would have been better.

Bad starting line-up from Lucescu although understandable that he fielded R9 and Baggio when trying to make up a 2 goal deficit. Not tactically shrewd though.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Odd, draws tend to be fun and exciting. Each to his own I guess hehe.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party, but yeah, Norway's infatuation for English football in general and Man U in particular was (is?) weird. They treated Man U like it was their their national team or something. It was pretty bizarre seeing Manchester Uniteds exploits being front page news in the evening tabloids.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts
Solskjaer, Berg, Ronny Johnsen (spelling?) must've played a part. Tore Andre Flo was big at Chelsea too.

·
Registered
32,921 Posts
The Anglophilia was widespread historically, a lot of it had to do with WWII. It's the impression I got from my grandparents too. Denmark were never in the big tournaments before 1984, and it was all about England in 1966, for example. And as I said, English league football had been on TV since the 1960s.

Patriotism was always a bigger deal in Norway (and by extension, support for the Brits). And they suffered much more than Denmark during WWII (not that it was anywhere near EE suffering, of course). Knut Hamsun supposedly didn't care for Britain, I actually think him throwing his lot in with Hitler was a bit of contrarianism.

Solskjaer, Berg, Ronny Johnsen (spelling?) must've played a part. Tore Andre Flo was big at Chelsea too.

I hated those players more than any others, both their style and the fact that they were hyped as United players. I have plenty of respect for them in retrospect, Solskjaer in particular.

Johnsen (for Van Dijk) is the only player Keane (I hated him too btw) would leave out in his United 98-99 / Liverpool 19-20 combined eleven. :D Doesn't botch, lots of deadpan comments. :D

"Ronny loved a little niggling injury" 😁

5941 - 5960 of 5991 Posts