Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a website to find information on Dublin that is not for travel, but for locals.

I am moving to Ireland most likely early next year. I want to find a decent neighbrohood.

Does not have to be to nice, just a place where I can:

- Have a 4 bedroom place [I have children.]
- Direct train to Dublin's finanacial district (if there is one)
- I am from New York City so I am not too afraid of crime:fero:
- I love the water so that would be great

I also want to no more about Irish club rugby any info or website on that would be great.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
As an ex expat in Dublin (still living abroad but no longer in Ireland). Well, I will be honest as I think this is just better. I did not like Dublin. It depends what you are after. If you like going out and nightlife, then you will love it. If you prefer family activities and culture, then Dublin is the worst place on the island. I have lived in Belfast as well for a while and been to Galway multiple times because of a girl I quite liked there. Both cities beat Dublin in all possible aspects: friendlier locals, more culture, cheaper cost of life.

I am not saying Dublin is bad, I just did not like it personally. I am more into the political debate or poetry reading thing than into nightlife though, I realise most are the opposite. So if you like to go out, party etc, then Dublin will please you.

Now some advice:
- Dublin is disgustingly expensive, ranked as high as New York when I lived in Dublin and not much has changed lately. 4 rooms apartment ?? I hope you have a really good job then. I paid 600 euro for a studio apartment hardly big enough for 1 person. My salary was close to 1200 euro netto. So this means half of my salary went to rental prices and still I only had a bedsit. As you relocate from US to Europe, get the working permit etc, you are very likely asked by a local company? In that case, if they make this efford, then probably your skills are very good and you should ask a high salary. A 4 rooms apartment will easily cost over 1500 if not 2000 euro a month I am afraid, so make sure to make your demands to your employer.

- decent neighbourhoods in the center are the areas of St Stephens Green: lovely park, big mall, nice shopping options, nightlife not far away but the streets are still quiet enough, area is clean and houses are nice. But, as you can expect for city center: expensive.
Outside of the city center: Dublin North has some nice areas such as Drumcondra and some parts of Swords but the latter is far out of the city.
If you want to live close to the sea: Clontarf is great with a lovely promenade and the quietness of Bull Island at a stonethrow away. Just south of Dublin County but connected to the city by railway and tramline, you got some lovely coastal towns like Dun Laoghoire and Dalkey. Friendly, pretty and cosy, and far away from the decadence of Dublin city life. Again, it won't be cheap living there but these places are clean, safe and family friendly and the sea is always nearby. Within County Dublin, Clontarf is the one area that I would recommend for a combination of cosy and clean areas and living by the water.

- stay away from Inchicore (drug dealers, ghetto esque blocks like in the Bronx), the area of North Circular Road, and especially Tallaght (far out of the center and a real ghetot with lot of criminality... Lived there for a short while when I was totally new in Ireland and would not want to live there again as it is simply unsafe and definitely not good for a family with kids)

EDIT: I see now that you need 4 BEDROOMS :eek: Expect rents no lower than 2000 euro per month and that will be not in the city center. Make sure to ask a high salary to employers, they cannot ask you to move across the pond to live with your family in a small house not adapted to family life. I can only say, it is a very expensive city, lot of decadence in the nightlife, little culture, but great if sports and nightlife is what you like. For the sake of living in a clean place with low crime and good for families, avoid the direct city center and check the areas I named.

Hope it did not come across as pessmistic, I just want to be honest. Better safe than sorry. If you have a good salary and carefully pick your place to live, you may enjoy Ireland quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Can anyone suggest a website to find information on Dublin that is not for travel, but for locals.

I am moving to Ireland most likely early next year. I want to find a decent neighbrohood.

I also want to no more about Irish club rugby any info or website on that would be great.

its going to be pricey, even considering the downturn, Dun Laoghoire is a good shout but may have a bit of a commute into centre

Are you talking about club rugby as in teams like Clontarif or provincial like Leinster??

Most of the club teams associate with the schools Eg Blackrock and St MAry's etc, but out of the 16 top club sides 7 are located in Dublin + Leinster on top of that so a decent level of rugby is easily accessible.

http://www.propertynews.com/ is a good place to start

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

I'd suggest renting a house in Kinnegad, Enfield, Maynooth or another small town. It will be a long commute (1 - 1.5 hrs) to the city but unless you are rich as hell, you will struggle with a 4 bedroom house anywhere in the vicinity of dublin even on the northside where the commute will be as long.
If you've lived in new york then long commutes will be no problem. The financial district is located near Connolly Station in the centre of the city (5 minutes walk) there is a regular commute service running from enfield, maynooth area every 30 minutes diriectly into Connolly Station.

as for the Rugby scene, search AIB club league in google and it will give you the list of rugby clubs in ireland the divisions from div 2 down are always willling to accept new players.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts