Xtratime Community banner

Off Topic, but you might laugh at it anyway!

583 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  labas 
#1 ·
Forget England-Argentina/germany/Portugal, listen to this one.

It concerns a match played between Barbados and Grenada in cup
competition. Barbados needed to win the game by two clear goals
in order to progress to the next round. Now the trouble was caused by a
daft rule in the competition which stated that in the event of a game going
to
penalty kicks, the winner of the penalty kicks would be awarded a
2-0 victory.
With 5 minutes to go,Barbados were leading 2-1, and going out of the
tournament (because they needed to win by 2 clear goals).

Then, when they realized they were probably not going to score against
Grenada's massed defense, they turned round, and deliberately scored
an own goal to level the scores and take the game into penalties.

Grenada, themselves not being stupid, realized what was going on, and then
attempted to score an own goal themselves.

However, the Barbados players started defending their opponents goal to
prevent this.
In the last five minutes, spectators were treated to the incredible sight of
both team's defending their opponents goal against attackers desperately
trying to score an own goal and
goalkeepers trying to throw the ball into their own net.

The game went to penalties, which Barbados won and so were awarded a 2-0
victory and progressed to the next round.

See less See more
#4 ·
Why did Mexico compete int he Conebol championship last year? They did good bTw with the now forgotten (and I really cant see why) Luis Hernandez....He is a great goalscorer. The same type as Bati (not as good in ages though :) )

And the US, well...The americans seem focused on being the best on every sport as usual but this time they started waaay to late to do something about it ;)

Real&Barcafan

#11 ·
Pablo...A GOOD RUN??? The guy was magnificent at WC 98 and one of the best of the tournament. To bad the Germans knocked them out because that seemed to have beeen the last that normal people would get to see of him and my all-time idol Jorge Campos :(

About the "good" run again. He scored som eVERy crucial goals and was the man in focus after those "thrillers" against belgium and Netherlands. Yes, i remeber the 0-2 Mexico suffered but they got 2-2 in the end. MArvelous games..... I miss WC 2002 :(

Real&Barcafan

#15 ·
Hey, listen to me, 'cuz I am in LA and I watched some Galaxy's game (pathetic, right?)....
OK, the bad news is that he is doing nothing in LA Galaxy...and Galaxy kept losing games to some inferior teams (haha, but Galaxy finished DC:D)...for short, he didn't score any goal yet!
Good part is that I do agree with you guys, Hernandez is an excellent striker in 98WC. And that 2-2 versus Holland is BRAVO (though I am a Holland supporter, I still predicted that Mexico would make a tie, was it great?:)) But IMO, in that match, the real stunning goal is Blance's, almost the best goal in that tournament. The goal that Hernandez scored to Gremany was just GREAT~~~~
Anyway, did you notice that less Mexican players go to Euro-leauges...I don't know why:confused:.....

G
#18 ·
Re: Mexicans/S. america and Europe

For many of them, it's just too far from home to live most of the year and culturally just too different. Also, there are many people of Latin descent in N. America (Mejico) and S. America that resent Europe and would never live there.

I have lived in the US and most of my friends were Latin and they just could not understand why I would want to come back "here".

#19 ·
Well the answer is pretty simple: Luis Hernandez doesn't want to go to Europe after what happened to him in Argentina - he got transfered and broke down mentally. It's the same old stroy with Mexicans - they cannot tolerate changes, it's a real mistery, besides Hugo Sanchez all of the Mexicans who tried moving abroad flopped, simply broke down! Weird, ey? I once read a huge article on this matter and it proved indefinitely that Mexicans annot move from home and there culture. Too bad:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.