Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
"Bosnia and Herzegovina has one of the highest income equality rankings in the world, ranking eighth out of 193 nations. .... Overall value of foreign direct investment (1999–2007):

1999: 166 million €
2000: 159 million €
2001: 133 million €
2002: 282 million €
2003: 338 million €
2004: 534 million €
2005: 421 million €
2006: 556 million €
2007: 1.628 billion € "

Anyone got a clue why there has been such a massive raise from 2006 until 2007? I`m slightly surprised (although in a good way) I must admit.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The massive raise can be contributed to the frantic selling of state owned companies in 2007, such as Telekom Srpske. That income is accounted for as FDI. Also, there was a "regular" raise due to improvement of general investment climate in BiH. And although the increase seems big, the overall FDI figures are still rather small. Believe it or not, the BiH productivity/wages ratio is pretty low. In other words, employees in BiH still have (relatively speaking) high wages compared to their productivity. This is not a good thing if you want to have foreign companies investing in your country.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Thanks Pape and congratulations with the 3-1 win over Feyenoord yesterday. I watched it on Sopcast. Entertaining game. Didnt Bosnia become a full member of the European free trade agreement last year as well? Could that have something to do with it (The increase in foreign investments that is - not the trashing of Feyenoord :) )? Anyway - great to see some positive tendencies in the economy.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The massive raise can be contributed to the frantic selling of state owned companies in 2007, such as Telekom Srpske. That income is accounted for as FDI. Also, there was a "regular" raise due to improvement of general investment climate in BiH. And although the increase seems big, the overall FDI figures are still rather small. Believe it or not, the BiH productivity/wages ratio is pretty low. In other words, employees in BiH still have (relatively speaking) high wages compared to their productivity. This is not a good thing if you want to have foreign companies investing in your country.
Even if Telekom Sprske (625 euros) was removed from this list, the investment amount would still be double in 2007 when compared to 2006. This year, 2008, will be by far the best. We will probably have around 3-4, possibly 5 billion euros of FDI. BH Telecom will be privatized this year.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I was going through Wiki, really good job with the pictures Bungi. Am I the only one that thinks are flag is complete shite.(current one)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Even if Telekom Sprske (625 euros) was removed from this list, the investment amount would still be double in 2007 when compared to 2006. This year, 2008, will be by far the best. We will probably have around 3-4, possibly 5 billion euros of FDI. BH Telecom will be privatized this year.
I don't see what you're getting at. I'm trying to explain the raise here. Besides, the sheer volume (or increase) of FDI doesn't say much about an economy without other relevant data.
I don't think BHT will be privatized this year. Too many political and administrative obstacles for that to be done on such a short term. Besides, even if it happens this year, the transaction probably won't be completed by the end of December which means that this potential deal will only be included in the data of 2009. 5 billion is totally unrealistic, unless they find oil in Hercegovina and manage to exploit it by the end of the year.:D
The question remains what exactly contributed to such a high increase ... I haven't examined the data of 2007, but I do know that over 60% of the FDI in 2007 accounts for privatization projects. Thus, less than 40% goes to greenfield stuff and even borrowing from abroad. Bosnia did become a party in the Central European Free Trade Agreement but I believe this only went into effect somewhere in August. So, when more than one third of the total FDI goes for the account of the selling of one single company, I think it´s fair to say that the privatization of state owned assets played a major role in the increase. Once again, I don´t have the data, so if anyone is able to shed some more light on the issue, please do.

@Spielfuhrer. Thanks! :thmbup: That victory yesterday felt reeeeeally good. The game was entertaining AND nerve wrecking as well. Supporting NAC is kind of like supporting the BiH nt; you never know what will happen or even what to expect. You might be up by 4-0 ten mins before time and still be convinced everything will go wrong in the end.. :D Managed to pull that lead over the finish line yesterday. Luckily and deservedly so.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Respect the flag that represents our country, no matter how it looks.
I know it's our flag and everything, but what does it have to do with us, I mean Kosovo is going to have a flag that looks close to ours. I always liked the one's with the Ljiljan's It was the flag of the first king of Bosnia, Tvrtko. Also throughout the whole war it was used, and for us it represented freedom, a new nation, and then it gets taken away because other people don't agree with it.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I love the R.BiH flag aswell but I guess you know the situation in the country? Don't call the new flag shit, use it with pride instead.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I love the R.BiH flag aswell but I guess you know the situation in the country? Don't call the new flag shit, use it with pride instead.
Sorry for taking it off topic, a flag is a flag, whether it's the old or new one. Could have been made a little bit better, only thing I don't like are the stars.

Also could someone make this thread sticky, and have it be for all off topic things, that don't have anything to do with football, music, movies.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts