Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all israelis, (I suppose :) )

I am quite a new poster in xtratime, though i read this forum almost everyday for the last few years.

I plan to go and live in Haifa in August.
So, I would like to know how it is like living there?
How much much money do I need each month in terms of living expenses?
Is car expensive there?
Also, doesn't mean to be offending, but what about the safety issue there? Is it quite safe?
Recently, I don't hear much problem in Haifa as compared to cities like Jerusalem or Tel-aviv. So, I suppose haifa is much safer.

Please enlighten me. Thank you in advanced for all the help.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Hi,

where are you from ?

All of Israel is safe, you don't have to worry. :thumbsup:

About living expenses, I don't live in Haifa but a good two room apartment should cost about 350-400 $ a month. I don't know what you're looking for. A car isn't expensive, you can buy a used cheap one for 3000$ and then just gas , again, depends on what you're looking for.

good luck

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
tnt said:
I plan to go and live in Haifa in August.
So, I would like to know how it is like living there?
How much much money do I need each month in terms of living expenses?
Is car expensive there?
Also, doesn't mean to be offending, but what about the safety issue there? Is it quite safe?
Recently, I don't hear much problem in Haifa as compared to cities like Jerusalem or Tel-aviv. So, I suppose haifa is much safer.

Please enlighten me. Thank you in advanced for all the help.
How long are you planning on living there?

Normally, if your alone, you can buy your place for cheap. Up north is not that bad. Israel has a core for expensive housing and that is in Tel Aviv/Gush Dan and Jerusalem area. Than most areas are influx..the more north you go, the cheaper, as the more south you go as well, with respect to remote, but expensive areas like Cassaria, Zichron Yaacov, Padres Hanna and Carmeil...

Usuaully in Haifa itself, its a little pricy, but if you go to the krayot its not that bad....though some places are really worn out. Pends on where u from (USA?) you will see the difference. Some 4-5 story houses in Israel do not have even elevator which kinda sucks.

Your looking at around 75-180,000 USD for a nice place in Haifa and the area...

The living Condition in Haifa is kinda mix. They don't have the smog like they do in Tel Aviv/Gush Dan area, but they have radiation from the Nuclear Power Plant which is near Haifa b'Mifratz... its really disgusting...i walked passed it and i wanted to puke in the river... (It was near Kiriat Ata)

As for Car.. Its relatively cheap i guess. You can buy second hand at around 16,000 shekels, but i really hate French/European cars, and i know they break down quickly. If your doing an Aliyah, you might get a discount for a new car, but your looking at around 160,000-210,000 Shekels... The driving is pretty difficult....alot of accidents occur in Israel and Insurance rate is high. Gasoline prices is around 5-6 Shekels a litre (So thats like 20 Shekels a Gallon), which is pretty surprising, since we (NORTH AMERICANS) complain of high gas prices. I refused to fill up at 86.6 Cents a litre in Canada, but my car was gonna be out of juice.

The safety condition in Haifa is good. There isn't any problems there. You must be aware that Haifa is a very multi-culture place, which has alot of Arabs and Arab villages around. Its ok in a way, but...some people might have fear of it. For terrorism, nothing has occured overall...there has been terror attacks in Haifa before, but its not something that would stop it from being beutiful. Though, if you go by train, you will see the the Maxim Resturant, which is close to Haifa B'Carmel, which has alot of High Tech companies (Intel, Microsoft, HP, IBM, etc) there.....

I have lived for a month in Haifa area, and it was so so....
I somehow prefer the Gush Dan Tel Aviv area. I was normally from there. People are kinda different up north and its near alot of Arab Villages, so i have my ups and downs on it, but its a nice place to live...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, kappa and gba. :star:
This info will be very helpful.

Actually i am from singapore and plan to live in Haifa for a couple of years, maybe around 3-4 years, for some work in technion.(Is it far from the city?) And I will go there alone.
I am just wondering how much money i need, as I plan to go there earlier than the work schedule (around one or two months) to explore the exotic places :lick:

I heard that israel is a very beautiful place, :thmbup: that's why i turned down more or less the same work in US(nebraska, exactly) and chose to come to israel.
Also, I am always interested in middle east culture. It one of the oldest civilizations.

I believe I will be okay with multi cultural things.
By the way, I am chinese by race. Any chinese restaurant there? :pp

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info.

ps. I am actually a milanista since i was a little boy. :D
Fun to read all your posts about juventus and inter, though I will always believe Milan is always superior ;)

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
tnt said:
Actually i am from singapore and plan to live in Haifa for a couple of years, maybe around 3-4 years, for some work in technion.(Is it far from the city?) And I will go there alone.
I am just wondering how much money i need, as I plan to go there earlier than the work schedule (around one or two months) to explore the exotic places :lick:
Hehehehe, a Singapore eh?
You know..In Israel we had a show that had a guy go to Singapoge (from Israel) and compare how Israel could learn from Singapore...cause he thinks Singapore is the model country for Israel. So we may use you. The Technion is in the City itself. Its more like..on the mountain area...but its in the city itself....
The problem with the Technion is that ins some classes you have a class near the port and one up in the head quarters.....

But Technion is a good school. Hard to get into....

I heard that israel is a very beautiful place, :thmbup: that's why i turned down more or less the same work in US(nebraska, exactly) and chose to come to israel.
Also, I am always interested in middle east culture. It one of the oldest civilizations.
True, Israel is a nice place.....But nebraska is classik in the fall.
Culture is good, just be careful..cause u don't wanna walk up to the Syrian border and see whats coming at u...

I believe I will be okay with multi cultural things.
By the way, I am chinese by race. Any chinese restaurant there? :pp[/quote[

people might think your a chinese labourer and throw u in a truck to build a sky scraper..heeheehehhe :)

but thats cool. There is chinese resturants in Israel. Never been to one in Haifa, but i been to one in Tel Aviv. They have good Dim sum! :)
i like chinese food.. make some :crazy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to move to Haifa or the Gush Dan area, so this thread is pretty helpful. I have heard that in general the central plain of Sharon has a better living standard than the north.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
MSAshdod said:
I'm going to move to Haifa or the Gush Dan area, so this thread is pretty helpful. I have heard that in general the central plain of Sharon has a better living standard than the north.

Yes and No!

The Sharon area is very crowded.... Its hard to drive around the area, because the Sharon area has 2.2 Million people livingf there...

The Haifa area has the arabs plus the plant...which is not that good...

Go in the middle...
Herzelia is nice...

Netanya is also a good spot...

and Rishon Le Zion is a nice place.

There is also the areas outside of cities which are nice....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kappa21 said:
Yes and No!

The Sharon area is very crowded.... Its hard to drive around the area, because the Sharon area has 2.2 Million people livingf there...

The Haifa area has the arabs plus the plant...which is not that good...

Go in the middle...
Herzelia is nice...

Netanya is also a good spot...

and Rishon Le Zion is a nice place.

There is also the areas outside of cities which are nice....

I don't really mind crowded areas, but I did like Ashdod. When you say the arabs aren't that good, are they just rude or what? Tel-Aviv i thought was nice, but as soon as you got around Holon or Ramat Gan, the traffic got terrible.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
MSAshdod said:
I don't really mind crowded areas, but I did like Ashdod.
Yes! Ashdod is nice! Alot of new contstruction is being built in Ashdod and its turning to be one hell of a city...Nice towers and nice construction. Last time i heard alot of French/English and U.S families (not to mention Canadians) have moved to Ashdod.
My only pet peeve is that with Ashdod, its so far south, that the only business you got is the ports...there big...but....you wanna work on cranes making 200,000 shekels a year? :thmbup:

When you say the arabs aren't that good, are they just rude or what?
There not rude. Not at all. they do raise the status quo. Your a diaspora jew. You tend to be around your people. The around your people area is the Gush Dan. Haifa is mixed arab and jews (mostly Jews). The area surrounding Haifa has arab villages. Some of them are really nice people. Like this one time, me and my ex were walking in the krayon, and by accident we forgot our bag and this arab (druze perhaps) ran to us to give it...eventhough it has like 100 shekels worth of clothes from Kenvelo...nice guy :)
But there was also youth fights between arab kids and Israelis a few months ago...so thats why... theres ups and down..

Tel-Aviv i thought was nice, but as soon as you got around Holon or Ramat Gan, the traffic got terrible.
True! The Ayalon cuts through most of the cities near Tel Aviv and Herzelia, such as Ramat Hasharon, Holon, Yaffo, Bat Yam, Kfar Shikma and so on.... Its a nice place. Crowded...a little bit runned down, but nice. You can find alot of nice houses. The place i grew up in, which was Holon was new..back in 1984...and when i came back in 2001 (1st time), 2003 (2nd time) and 2004 (3rd and recent time), they built some nice houses there. I like the Israeli design on new houses and think its the way to go...nice architecht and stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi kappa,

i like chinese food.. make some :crazy:
Sure, just doubt whether you can finish my cooking. My cooking is so bad that I myself can't finish it... :wallbang: :D

Anyway, forza Milan tonight.... :groan: :jester:

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Kappa you were talking about Holon, I remember I used to go a lot on vacations to my grandfather's house overthere and it was great!! It is a very peaceful place, or at least it used to be because it has been a while I haven't been there.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
berko said:
Kappa you were talking about Holon, I remember I used to go a lot on vacations to my grandfather's house overthere and it was great!! It is a very peaceful place, or at least it used to be because it has been a while I haven't been there.

where did he live in Holon?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Kappa21 said:
where did he live in Holon?
I don't remember exactly the name of the neighborhood because I was a little kid at that time, but what I do record is that it was near the center where they had shwarma restaurants and soccer stores etc...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kappa21 said:
Yes! Ashdod is nice! Alot of new contstruction is being built in Ashdod and its turning to be one hell of a city...Nice towers and nice construction. Last time i heard alot of French/English and U.S families (not to mention Canadians) have moved to Ashdod.
My only pet peeve is that with Ashdod, its so far south, that the only business you got is the ports...there big...but....you wanna work on cranes making 200,000 shekels a year? :thmbup:

How long is the commute from Ashdod to T-A? Most of the recording studios in Israel are located in Haifa or Tel-Aviv, and i want to do something with music with my life. But, the crane plan doesn't seem too bad either.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
berko said:
I don't remember exactly the name of the neighborhood because I was a little kid at that time, but what I do record is that it was near the center where they had shwarma restaurants and soccer stores etc...
Sokolov ring a bell?

Perhaps a street called J.C Cohen?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
MSAshdod said:
Isn't Sokolov Street in Herzeliya?

Sokolov has a street in each city.....
Like Main Street....
Church Street.
Centre Street..

in Israel i think the street where u can find a street everywhere is Echad Ha-ham echad..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts