Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that the Olympics are over (and that Turin has become the first city ever to receive a medal from the IOC for its Olympic spirit and organisation), I have to ask this question to those who like me followed the Games : do you feel as bad as I do?

Don't you feel guilty about having cheered for the feats of the "classe operaia", the working class, when you know you will readily forget about its existence within the next two weeks?

Don't you feel moved to see Plankensteiner* saying he will use the 40.000 EUR given by CONI for his bronze medal to change some used parts on his tractor, and Anesi happy enough to now have the money to buy himself a new electric guitar?

Don't you feel sorry for the inconsolable Simionato realizing she just threw 4 years of preparation and sacrifices down the gutter and probably won't have another chance like this in her life? Or perhaps Totti not being fully fit for the WC inspires you more pity ?

Don't you feel dirty and hypocrite for following a rotten to the core sport and worshipping spoilt ignorant brats who won't have a nice word for you or acknowledge their faults even if their life depended on it, while the genuine Carolina Kostner will humbly admit that she, and only she messed up and that she is sorry for disappointing the fans ?

What's more heroic : the carabiniere Di Centa crossing the line after a 50 km race in the snow, too debilitated to even wipe the dribble and snot off his face, or Del Piero becoming Juve's all-time goalscorer thanks to some tap-in against a Reggina or a Treviso ? Who's the greater athlete?

For those who watched the Domenica Sportiva last night, didn't you feel the irresistible urge to bitchslap Coco just for appearing in the same room as Di Centa and Fabris ?

And what now ? Will you close the Olympic parenthesis and happily dive back into the weekly mafia circus of the serie A ?

I, for one, will have some trouble doing so.

* And of course why is it that Trentino Alto Adige is considered a Kraut enclave in Italian territory except once every 4 years?

·
Registered
45,522 Posts
I understand what you mean: the olympic games are "SPORT", serie A is hardly sport. Yet, there is a crucial point: I get bored by almost all the winter sports, while I love to watch football. And the same happens to almost all people infact football has become "business" for this reason, cause almost everybody like it, while curling can be ok for the olympic games, but after them we don't want to watch it again for 4 years.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
On the one hand I can't really relate wholeheartedly because I did not follow this Olympics whatsoever, so I can't feel the same way, have the same admiration towards the (no doubt impressive) athlethes which competed.
On the other hand, I do sympathize with your point, and understand it wholly, and even applaud the way you formulized it: great thread.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
You admire the athletes for what they achieve and Kaiser Franco puts forward a grand case, but Toni is right. In the end football is more entertaining and enjoyable than the winter olympics even if the morals of the athletes in the olympics are much more admirable.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
No.

To use my own country as an example, the amount of money Norway spent on our athletes without any success whatsoever, bothers me. When they screwed up where they should win, they didn't hesitate to say: "It's just a sport." Come again? Just a sport? Do you realize that some people actually care a lot about it? Norway's ambition for cross country was 8 gold medals. We didn't get one! "Damn, tough luck."

That's my problem with these athletes. In most cases, they're not part of a team. They compete individually and even if they're a part of a team (like Ice-Hockey) they won't see each other in a year. They don't have teamspirit at all, so it's a lot easier for them to have an indifferent opinion about winning or losing. What kind of an athlete is that? Loser-mentality.

To use my Roma as an example, they just won their 11th match in a row and broke a record. They fight for each other like it's a war every week and many of the players genuinely bleed red and yellow. De Rossi, now that's a real athlete. Not only a great footballer, but a top-trained atlete who fights for a unit. De Rossi would never call calcio "only a sport" after failing 100% when it mattered the most, would he?

They can get up at 5 in the morning to train, and I still don't care. The Norwegian athletes in Torino embarrased me. They acted like losers, who despite winning everything before the Olympics, celebrated a bronze medal like it was worth something and even managed to fork out words like: "This 14th place is valuable for the rest of my season". Ehm?

For me, the real athletes are those who fight for a team and for its fans. Who can't get away with cheap excuses and don't consider making cheap excuses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts