Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Lazio-Inter yesterday, I can't help but notice how huge an impact Oddo had on the match. He was excellent in the first half, and ruled the left flank the way Cafu normally does for the Rossoneri. In the second he faded somewhat, partly because of the fact that he had to drop deep after the sending off of Giannichedda, but he still had a great game in my opinion. It would be a huge loss for Lazio if he were to leave, and it is clear than he is NT material. :thumbsup:

And then there's the Filippini twins.. what a goal! The commentators (Paddy Agnew, actually :jester: ) mentioned that they always seem to play better when they're in the same team. :howler: But both of them (especially Antonio) really impressed me as well. Do you think it would be too much to ask for at least one of the twins to be wearing Azzurri colours, at least for a couple of friendlies? They are in excellent form. :)

·
Registered
46,394 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
Do you think it would be too much to ask for at least one of the twins to be wearing Azzurri colours, at least for a couple of friendlies?
Yes, it would be too much. :tongue: :thmbdown:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The Filippini twins are no more than hard-working mid-table players. They do not deserve an Azzuri shirt but are great characters.

Oddo played well yesterday but then he was up against the most over-rated Kili Gonzalez. Still it was good to see Oddo play a good match. Also great to see Coco back. Was quite rusty, but did an ok job when he came on.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Oddo is great, ofcourse he's NT material. Not the Fillipini Bro's though, They dive and play too dirty IMO and we have many other better on their positions already.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Yes, it would be too much. :tongue: :thmbdown:

I agree.

About Oddo, I admit being biased towards him but it's not as if he rarely plays well like yesterday. But he depends a lot on Antonio Fillipini who does a good job of protecting the right side area when Oddo goes forward, so if he is partnered with more offensive minded right midfielder like Camoranesi there might be problems for he Azzurri against opposition with good wingers unless the coach somehow convinces Oddo to stay more in his own half, something that Mancini didn't really manage to achieve while he was in Lazio. :) IMO, Lippi should choose a starting right back and stick to him, not like now - one game it's Oddo,the next it's Bonera, the next it's Diana or Panucci etc.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
It is tough to choose a starting RB when so many decent(but no more) RB's in Italy have spells of good games then bad etc....

Anyway I just found out Italy play Iceland in a friendly 4 days after the Scotland game...anyone know why?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Deano said:
Oddo played well yesterday but then he was up against the most over-rated Kili Gonzalez. Still it was good to see Oddo play a good match. Also great to see Coco back. Was quite rusty, but did an ok job when he came on.
Yeah, I also enjoyed Oddo in the match yesterday and I really hope Coco starts to improve and stops getting injuried. Then he may be a option in the NT as LB, in that case we can move Zambrotta to the RB, would be great imo.

And as someone also mentioned, what's the point having a friendly 4 days after the match vs Scotland. May be because Lippi wants to play those who aren't going to participate in the match against the Scotsmen.
But I agree, it sounds weird.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nesta said:
what's the point having a friendly 4 days after the match vs Scotland.
Maybe Lippi just wants to have as much time with his charges as possible.. after all they still have a few days together as a squad after the match against Scotland, so I think the coach just wants them to gel further.. as an NT coach it can be frustrating to see your players for 2 training sessions, play a World Cup qualification match then see them jet off back to their respective clubs straight after..

As for the Filippini twins, I actually think Antonio is a much better player. If we can have an Enzo Maresca in the team, why not an Antonio Filippini? :kiss: He was easily Lazio's best player besides Oddo.

I wouldn't want Zambrotta to be converted back to right-back again.. he rules the left hand side and I would really want him to remain there. Oddo on this form is the best Italian right back in the country. Yes he misplaced quite a few passes, but if you look at his overall contribution he was indispensible for Lazio yesterday. :smileani: He offered so much extra to Lazio in attack and was extremely organised in defence, although in truth Kily really didn't give him much of a realistic challenge..

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
And then there's the Filippini twins.. what a goal! The commentators (Paddy Agnew, actually :jester: ) mentioned that they always seem to play better when they're in the same team. :howler: But both of them (especially Antonio) really impressed me as well. Do you think it would be too much to ask for at least one of the twins to be wearing Azzurri colours, at least for a couple of friendlies? They are in excellent form. :)

There was a funny sound as I read your post....must of been you scraping the barrel! ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got it!
Didn't we lose against Iceland a couple of months ago?
Lippi wants revenge! :D

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
can we base things on one game though? Oddo has always been a decent player, but the past two seasons i believe he hasnt lived up to his potential. Once again, it doesnt mean he shouldnt be there as players like bonera and zaccardo are by no means world beaters, but it remains italy's biggest problem in the team right now.

As for the twins, i think they have stiff comp to make the team.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts