Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Machado was Sporting coach,did you like his work , was he a good change to your team and did he do better or worst than the previous coaches? Did you like his job or not?

If anyone remember?:confused:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The funny thing about Machado is that he coached Sporting over a 3 times in 3 years, but he never had a full, complete season in charge. He first took over after CarlosQueiroz got fired in Spring 1996 and he finished out the season. The team was very young and had been depleted from the year before (loss of Figo, Peixe, Balakov, Cadete, etc.), however he still led them to the Cup final against Benfica and third place. After that season, Sporting went out and hired Robert Waseige (now Belgium's NT coach) and they signed some nice talent, i.e. Barbosa, Hadji, De Wilde. Machado took over this team after Waseige got fired in December 1996. The team ended up finishing 2nd and qualifying for the Champion's League. This was quite an accomplishment because Porto had probably its best of the '90s and they ran away with the title.
The next season, Machado started the season great: We won our 1st game in the Champion's League and we were leading the league. However, he had some run-ins with his players (no surprise, huh?), had a few bad results, and eventually resigned in Mid-November. I think he resigned pre-maturely.

As for his tactics, they were really defensive and I did not like them. However, he kinda had to play that way because he never had a decent center forward.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
a note: when Octávio started to shout against every direction ("um dia a casa vai abaixo", etc...) he was immediately silenced by the board- a fact that we don't see happening in Porto.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But he always had his character....well...seems not many people able to discuss this topic here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts