1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or rather New Zealand

They'll face the 4th placed side in CONCACAF

Some more recognizable players in the all whites nowadays which is good

New Zealand, New Caledonia, The Solomon Islands and Tahiti make up Oceania's final qualifying group.

Western Samoa were this year's whipping boys losing 9-0 and 10-1 to New Caledonia and Tahiti in the 2nd roud of qualifying.
American Samoa did well by getting themselves knocked out in the first stage to fellow lesser footballing nations.

Wonder what the flight costs must be to the FAs btw especially Tahiti.
Shame also that Marama Vahirua isn't playing for Tahiti. Would've been interesting or Frédéric Piquionne for New Caledonia.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I think Oceania should get an automatic qualifier, but the question would be which zone gets taken away a spot? New Zealand made a small impact at the 2010 World CUp, and assuming they qualify again, I think they can do the same in Brazil two years from now.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think Scotland should move to the OFC.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
That wouldn't make sense because Scotland should go to Asia.
Hell no. We're on an island. Just like all of Oceania. And well, Asia is too good for us :palm:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
This area should join up with Asia...there should be a pre lim qualier for a team from Oceania to make the final group stage of Asia.

NZ will never improve like this and I think they are at the same level as some of the teams like Iraq, Oman and Jordan

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
That's total nonsense though. You're just stacking the card even more against teams like French Caledonia who already have next to no point of qualification. Oceania is not apart of Asia. End of.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
That's total nonsense though. You're just stacking the card even more against teams like French Caledonia who already have next to no point of qualification. Oceania is not apart of Asia. End of.
French Caledonia will never qualify and should never.
They are not good enough to compete in the world cup.

Why not give a team from Oceania to gain a spot into the final group stage of Asia instead of a 2 legged match every 4 years against a random team from different federations.

Your point it it would be better to have NZ(or Caledonia) to play this one off game instead of 8 group games where a top 2 finish would suffice?

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
French Caledonia will never qualify and should never.
They are not good enough to compete in the world cup.

Why not give a team from Oceania to gain a spot into the final group stage of Asia instead of a 2 legged match every 4 years against a random team from different federations.

Your point it it would be better to have NZ(or Caledonia) to play this one off game instead of 8 group games where a top 2 finish would suffice?
The OFC exists. So long as it exists (& worth remembering it has more members than CONMEBOL, so hey, lets merge those 2, right?) it should get at least 0.5 spots at the world cup. Personally I'd guarantee them 1 spot.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You come from the Sepp Blatter school of thought then? Why not have a world cup of 64 teams then and give Oceania 2 spots?

They just are not good enough to even think about the world cup but for New Zealand.

All the current situation does is maintain hammerings and make sure that NZ get a play off every 4 years.....if that is good in your opinion, then I guess you are not a fan of goal line technology and anything that could be considered progress in football.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I like the idea of having Oceania progress into the Asian birth. New Zealand (like Australia before them) need regular competitive games at a better level than they are currently getting.

Otherwise they will never progress beyond their current ability. You could say australia's change has helped them improve a bit, particuarly in terms of squad depth and also the popularity of the sport in the country.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
All the current situation does is maintain hammerings and make sure that NZ get a play off every 4 years.....if that is good in your opinion, then I guess you are not a fan of goal line technology and anything that could be considered progress in football.
I oppose goal line technology that can only be applied at the highest level, where the money is. If it's not affordable for Sunday league football then I oppose. The glorious thing about football is that the rules are the same at any level & the cost of getting involved is minimal. Football is about far more than just the Champions League & World Cup.

·
Expecto patronum!
13,563 Posts
New Zealand is hosting New Caledonia in a decisive match! if NC wins, they will top the group on equal points with NZ, equal goal-difference (if they win by only 1 goal which is more realistic) but more goals scored. in that case the last round games will decide who will go into the intercontinental play-off with NC hostin Tahiti and NZ visiting the Solomons.

of course NZ is fav for this game, but it would be interesting if NC wins.

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
New Zealand clinch a playoff spot against CONCACAF 4th place team after a 2:1 victory over New Caledonia. They did so with a game to spare

New Zealand though needed a 90th minute winner :lala:

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Oceania needs Scotland

1 - 20 of 20 Posts