Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The draw has been made for the first round :

Schalken - Kenneth Carlson (a Danish qualifier)
Gustavo Kuerten (seeded 19) - John van Lottum
Martin Verkerk (17) - Alex Corretja
Ramon Sluiter - Mario Ancic
Jeff Morrison (a qualifier) - Dennis Van Scheppingen

None in the womens draw btw :eek:

Tough draw for the not seeded like Sluiter who faces big serving Croat Ancic! and van Lottum facing Kuerten!

Schalken should win and Verkerk has a 50-50 game against the Spanish veteran. He is in better form tho (Verkerk) :) and hopefully he's recovered from his illness which made him retire against Hewitt this week.

No one in the womens draw. That is abysmal imo. A few years ago we had Schultz and Oremans. No one is coming up either:eek:

My tips to win btw are Mr and Mrs Hewitt

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Huh, I am surprised no dutch woman in the race. Are there none playing good, acceptable tennis at the moment?
I remember Brenda Schulz, she was always good for a little surprise. Without being so spectacular.

Hehe, Would be nice to see Verkerk overruling them all again....like he did in a so fantastic way in Paris last year. But I think he isn´t that strong on this ground, is he?
I sympathized with him, that led to the consequence that even I followed whole(normally I use to zap around between some channels when tennis is shown) matches on TV .
Martin, if you read this (we never know who posts here. ;) ) : GOOD LUCK!
About your winners, Wally: I agree with your tipps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
this should be in the tennis forum. i'm not surprised that you can't identify the difference between the tennis and dutch forum, wally :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a thread where Dutch tennisers will be discussed specifically. If you don't like it, don't write in it ;)

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: O.T. Australian Open Tennis

delpi_vanni_10 said:
Huh, I am surprised no dutch woman in the race. Are there none playing good, acceptable tennis at the moment?
I remember Brenda Schulz, she was always good for a little surprise. Without being so spectacular.

Hehe, Would be nice to see Verkerk overruling them all again....like he did in a so fantastic way in Paris last year. But I think he isn´t that strong on this ground, is he?
I sympathized with him, that led to the consequence that even I followed whole(normally I use to zap around between some channels when tennis is shown) matches on TV .
Martin, if you read this (we never know who posts here. ;) ) : GOOD LUCK!
About your winners, Wally: I agree with your tipps.
Yeah, got no idea what has happened with womens tennis overhere. You have a couple of talents but they're like ranked 300th in the world. Oremans retired a few years ago and os has Boogert but they weren't anything special, journeywomen at their best. I heard a few months ago that Brenda Schultz might make a come back soon but since that nothing has been heard of the big serving Brenda :eek:

I'm not sure what Verkerks favourtie surface is, but it sure isn't grass :howler: :D

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Come on Wally, the biggest talent overhere with the ladies has the easiest last name to remember if you look at the past of Dutch tennis. Krajicek's little half-sister Michaella is our biggest hope for the upcoming future. She lives in Almere too btw for half of the year and I even know where exact, but too bad I never saw here. Only here dad.

The men have a pretty tough draw. Only about Schalken I'm pretty sure, the others all have to put their best shot at it.

Verkerk's favourite surface is, not surprisingly, gravel.

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chivu said:
Come on Wally, the biggest talent overhere with the ladies has the easiest last name to remember if you look at the past of Dutch tennis. Krajicek's little half-sister Michaella is our biggest hope for the upcoming future. She lives in Almere too btw for half of the year and I even know where exact, but too bad I never saw here. Only here dad.

The men have a pretty tough draw. Only about Schalken I'm pretty sure, the others all have to put their best shot at it.

Verkerk's favourite surface is, not surprisingly, gravel.
:wallbang: :wallbang: how could I forget :eek:

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mariaines said:
hey, can you tell me something about martin verkerk? like how was his last year? thanx :kiss:
He unexpectedly reached the final of the French open last year (and lost unlike Marcelo Rios) then after that he kinda disappeared losing every game he played :eek: he seems to be on his way back but a mystery virus might prevent him from taking part in the Australian Open.

Meanwhile Van Lottum had a great game against Kuerten, losing a 5 setter. Looked like John couldn't run anymore at the end after suffering cramp but nevertheless a couragous performance :thumbsup:

Schalken walked through his game as expected.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Sjeng Schalken (16) - Kenneth Carlsen (Den) 7-5, 6-3, 6-1
Gustavo Kuerten (Bra,19) - John van Lottum 5-7, 6-0, 6-1, 2-6, 8-6

and Verkerk is doubtful for the match against Corretja as far as I understood?!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Who wathes Tennis. I would rather watch Paint dry:howler: :notlist:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
chivu said:
Oh no, Abominus has an American version too. :nervous: :scared: ;)
Jonny Knoxville.....wasn't that a Transformers character? :howler: ;)

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
And then there was only one player left. Sluiter, Van Scheppingen and Verkerk all lost today.

So once more Schalken is the man to defend the last piece of Dutch pride in an Grand Slam.

·
Registered
478 Posts
schalken reached the third round after a 6-3,6-2,5-7,6-1 win against ferrer. It is the first time in 9 years he reached the third round in melbourne.

He now has to play against Melzer from austria

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a great day. Van Scheppingen played shyte and Sluiter was up against it though he did offer something. I was really surprised to hear that Schalken had never reached the third round of the Australian Open! :eek: especially from a player of his caliber.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
mariaines said:
alex corretja beated verkerk 6-4 1-6 6-3 6-4
:happy: :tongue:
sorry..i'm an old alex fan :D :tongue:
martin was little ill as far as I know(a virus). he didnt feel well the day before, but at least he tried it. nah, he´ll surely do better in paris.... ;)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
the dutch have at least schalken in the race, in comparison to that the germans are all out!!!
and "we" had much more players to start (9, even ladies...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts