Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I was in no way surprised Ooijer didn't make the squad, I completely fell of my chair when Hasselbaink was eliminated too! :( :( :( :( I admit I was wrong, and you guys were right (that feels wierd ;)). But I may have fallen off my seat then, I am simply puking, when I see the bullsh|t now on DailySoccer. I can't believe van Vossen is in the squad! Come on Dutch, you have to admit this is a major surprise - van Vossen picked ahead of great hasselbaink!? This is the mistake I was waiting for. Just like Sapin, you guys have made a crucial mistake. And IMO that's why you're not gonna win EURO 2000 :( :( :( :( I am so sad! Why do my favorite teams always fuc* up in the start!? I mean van Vossen! Yeah sure, he was great once, but his days are over. IS Rijkaard a racist? ;) ROTFL! Anyway I wish the Dutch the best of luck, although I already know it's pointless :)

------------------
Patryk L. AKA labas

·
Registered
54 Posts
Labas, while I don't totally agree with his logic, I believe Rijkaard considered the fact that Van Vossen's ability to play in midfield as the main factor that saw him taken over Hasselbaink. Hasselbaink, while being very good at the role of pure striker, kind of lacks the versatility that is always valued among Dutch players. But still, the selection of Van Vossen remains somewhat puzzling nonetheless. If he was looking for a versatile attacker, I would have chosen Bruggink or De Jong, myself. But the squad is already selected, and all that we can do now is watch on as the Oranje win Euro 2000 easily :)

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Hasselbaink is absolute crap in the Dutch team. I never want to see him again in the Dutch squad. A disgrace for Dutch football.
Van Vossen in the squad is also disgrace, but that's because he's a close friend of Rijkaard.

X

·
0 Posts
can anyone gimme the names of the dutch squad!???

i've seen hasselbaink play a few internationals before...and he has never really showed his true potential at international as he has had at club level..

BUT still not being in the squad is a major surprise!!
i mean if rijkaard was only looking for versatility..why choose kluivert,bergkamp!?

i'm not saying kluivert should be omitted....but does he need 22versatile players!????? :(

D

·
0 Posts
The reason why Van Vossen is picked is because he has trained very hard and did his ultimate best in the trainings camp in Switzerland. Hasselbaink again played very poorly in a warm-up match against FC Servette. But also another reason is that Rijkaard would only play Hasselbaink up-front, while he has midfielders, such as Cocu and Van Vossen who can play striker if necessary.

I'm not overhwhelmd with the inclusion of Van Vossen, but I'm also not very shocked to see Hasselbaink omitted.
If Bogarde, Talan, and Van Nistelrooij were fit, then both Van Vossen and Hasselbaink would not have been picked, Van Vossen would probably not have been in the provisional squad of 26.
Rijkaard has taken a risk nonetheless, but tha's Rijkaard.

The squad and numbers

1 - Edwin Van der Sar
2 - Michael Reiziger
3 - Jaap Stam
4 - Frank de Boer
5 - Boudewijn Zenden
6 - Clarence Seedorf
7 - Philip Cocu
8 - Edgar Davids
9 - Patrick Kluivert
10 - Dennis Bergkamp
11 - Marc Overmars
12 - Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
13 - Bert Konterman
14 - Peter Van Vossen
15 - Paul Bosvelt
16 - Ronald de Boer
17 - Pierre Van Hooijdonk
18 - Ed de Goey
19 - Arthur Numan
20 - Aron Winter
21 - Roy Makaay
22 - Sander Westerveld

From the this list I would think Rijkaard is planning to play Zenden as Left-back. It is an option, but its not Zenden favourite role, maybe Numan should be played there instead. And Zenden on the right?, although he's left-footed, he's better on that position than Seedorf.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zenden is a very troubling guy IMO, because he is one of the absolute supreme talents in world football now, only he has the bad luck of always being in teams with other great left wingers (in Barca - Rivaldo and Holland - the even better Overmars!) So he's always a bit of a problem. I would love to see him play the free role he played in France 98, where he often made those amazing runs in the center dribbling thru opponents. I miss that Zenden, and I'm afraid van Gaal has almost erased the old boy :( Zenden was my huge idol in the last world Cup and I just can't fogive van Gaal for buying him and then waisting one of the huge talenst of football. Sure he's still great, but his destiny was a world class star at the gae of 22, just like Raul. Too bad he moved to Barca not Real :( Anyway here's my "perfect" Dutch formation:

--------van der Sar---------------

Reiziger--Stam---F.de Boer--Numan

Seedorf--Davids----Cocu---Zenden
------------------Overmars----
--------Bergkamp-------------

I know it would be hard to play with such a formation, but I see it working well with all of these making forward runs: Cocu, Zenden and Overmars. It could than be a deadly tactic, with very versatile players. I know the squad has no Kluivert, but everyone knows I don't trust him :( Of course the other option is Zenden for Numan, Overmars as LM, and then we have room for crap-Kluivert...so many possibilities :)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I'm glad Hasselbaink was not selected, and I agree with chivu he should never be selected again. And then Jerrel's comment "I can't understand it. I should have been there. I have the same qualities as the guys who are selected." APPARENTLY NOT! You have scored once since WC98, and that was in your last match, in the last minute, because Makaay wasn't selfish, and gave you the ball, although he only had the keeper in front of him. Makaay played only half a game as a striker (against Servette, he played as a striker, not as a winger), and he scored once, and gave one assist. What have you done? NOTHING! So don't complain. I feel sorry for Chelsea...

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't say that Dutch - we all know he delivers at club level. You should know that bet, because he buried you guys in the Copa del Rey... :)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Oh did HE? I thought VG did. Hasselbaink could score against small teams, but against the big teams he was invisible. And at EURO2000 he'd only see defences like those of the big teams. If he was that good he'd have scored against any team.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My opinion is that since he scored 24 goals in the Primera he has to be top goalscorer in the Premiersh|t. Anyway we'll see soon enough :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts