Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have oftenbeen told that due to factors the reaction of the Old Trafford crowd is not always an accurate reflection of the real Man Utd die hards.

Solet me ask u people this question. Does the Old Trafford reaction to C.Ronaldo really reflct yr sentiments toward him represented at this forum

i mean........seriously?

no offence but......seriously?

·
A true hero
31,424 Posts
I would think that the reaction of Old Trafford should be taken over 20 or so people on a message board, with all due respect to everyone here.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well....honestly...the way things r priced (nuff said) i dunno how many real ultras get to go to C.L. games....buut i am not takin anyone's absolute word here or from old Trafford's crowd

i am just askin what peple who consider themselves die hards think or if the old Trafford crowd represents their general feeling

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have oftenbeen told that due to factors the reaction of the Old Trafford crowd is not always an accurate reflection of the real Man Utd die hards.

Solet me ask u people this question. Does the Old Trafford reaction to C.Ronaldo really reflct yr sentiments toward him represented at this forum

i mean........seriously?

no offence but......seriously?
Someone's dissapointed Ronaldo didn't get jeered.:rollani:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Most people on here have never been to a United game. There's some who can't afford it anymore and there's a couple who go regularly. It's safe to say most people are pissed off how he conducted himself over the summer, but he's come back and given 100%, stayed in training until 17:00 every day to get back fit to play. It's pointless booing him, that would just have adverse effects on the whole team.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Ronaldo was never going to get booed. I'll admit I thought differently during the middle of all that went on but my stance mellowed and I think once things died down he was never going to be jeered by the vast majority of people.

I heard a couple of jeers tonight, a few of my mates heard a couple of things and a few people on differnet message boards heard or gave him a negative reaction themselves but that was it.

Me personally, I didn't cheer him and I didn't jeer him. I'll cheer when he scores a goal, I'll clap him if he does something a bit special and I'll applaud him off the pitch when he puts a man of the match performance in... but I'll never boo him. I've never booed anyone whilst they represent Manchester United (as long as they give 100%) no matter how shit they are or how much of a kunt they've been... because at the end of the day they're footballers and 99% of them aren't worth getting worked up over.

But an important thing to remember in all this is that yes he wanted to leave but when he was told he wasn't going anywhere he accepted it and got on with things... and as long as he sticks with that attitude then myself and many others won't have a problem with him.

If he stays for the rest of his career - ok.

If he leaves next summer - ok.

As for the Old Trafford crowd, about half of them are know nothing kunts who only go to 'Man U' games because 'it's the cool thing' to do. As PB has said a lot of proper reds have been priced out completely or have to pick and choose their games because of prices I fall in to the latter myself.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I think most united fans are smart enough to realise that Booing would only have an adverse effect on the Whole team - and this is what is most important.

At the end of the day, he is a united player, And I believe MOST fans are realistic enough to know that a lot of our aspirations require a fit and able Ronaldo.

There is a massive difference between Like and Respect. Whilst a lot of fans may not 'like' the person, everyone 'respects' the player; and this is enough to ensure he will be cheered whenever possible.

I'm not a fan personally, but i'm also mature enough to realise that we are better off bloody having him than not. And for that, I'll support him.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Soccernet

Fergie cheered by rousing reception for Ronaldo
Updated: September 17, 2008, 11:24 PM UK

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes the reception Cristiano Ronaldo received during the goalless Champions League draw at home to Villarreal will have convinced the player he made the right decision in staying with the club.

MikeEgerton/Empics
Cristiano Ronaldo tries to force in a header
United fought off concerted pressure from Real Madrid to hang on to their star winger and the Portugal international, coming back from an ankle operation, made his first appearance of the season as 62nd-minute substitute.

Ferguson expected the Old Trafford crowd to be generous in their welcome but he felt it was important for the player to hear it for himself.

"He has had a turbulent summer and a lot has been said about it but when I had my meeting in June in Portugal with him that was over,'' Ferguson told Sky Sports.

"He dedicated himself to getting fit and his commitment to the club.

"It (the crowd's reception) was important for Cristiano.

"I think he realises what a great club he is at and how loyal the fans are. He will take great encouragement from that.''

Despite the disappointment of a draw in their opening Champions League match, Ferguson was relatively happy with the performance from a team which included a number of players short of match practice.

"I thought we did well,'' said the Scot. "The players expressed themselves well, Jonny Evans hit the post and Ji-sung Park should have had a penalty in the first-half.

"There were also a number of players who will benefit from the game such as Park, Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Gary Neville, so that is positive as well.''

Ferguson confirmed record signing Dimitar Berbatov faces a race against time to be fit for Sunday's meeting with Chelsea.

The 27-year-old suffered a knee injury in Saturday's defeat at Liverpool which ruled him out this evening and it seems doubtful he will be available for the weekend either.

"He has a little tweak behind the knee,'' he said. "We did not want to take a chance tonight and really it is too early to say for Sunday.''

Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini admitted United posed more of a threat after Ronaldo was introduced.

"He did cause us one or two problems,'' he said. "Ronaldo is obviously a great player but he was quite fresh as well and we had one or two tired legs out there.''

In fact, Villarreal came closest to scoring through Guille Franco, who might have done better going for goal in conventional manner rather than attempt the audacious flick that bounced back off the inside of a post.

"It is a difficult one,'' said Pellegrini. "In a situation like that you have a millisecond to make a decision.

"It would have been a great time to score and if it had gone in we would have been talking about a fabulous goal and a great decision to do what he did.

"Unfortunately he did what he did and the ball did not go in.''

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have little time for players who don't want to wear the shirt I adore, but he's putting in the yards, as long as he makes an effort and not get too smug, then I'll applaud him.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As for the Old Trafford crowd, about half of them are know nothing kunts who only go to 'Man U' games because 'it's the cool thing' to do. As PB has said a lot of proper reds have been priced out completely or have to pick and choose their games because of prices I fall in to the latter myself.
That sucks dude. U can see the ppl in the crowd who just do it for a laugh. it sickens me. Not much i wouldn't do to be there

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I will only cheer him and forget everything after he scores a couple of goals.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o.k.

Well i am not saying TAZZ is the judge of a die hard fan

I am just saying IMHO in my humbe opinion I see two maybe 3 real die hards above.

The only answer to Ronaldo is indifference. Because as upset as a die hard man U fan may be Booing Ronaldo would only hurt the team. Agreed. And as much as a die hard may hate ROnaldo for completely....and i mean COMPLETELY disrespecting the team.

"I like playing in white"

seriously?

A real die hard will indeed realize that booing him would destablalize and damage the team. So indifference is basically the only response to Ronaldo. Like i feel abt Zlatan at INTER. A complete mercenary. No respect or love for his colours. But he izza great player. And i ride that fact like its a nice wave i'm surfing or something. He gets no love nor genuine hate from me. Although i joke abt hatin him all the time

C.Ronaldo would b the same.

NEWTON
I dont know that for a fact but it was quite evident or probable from the way the old trafford crowd disrespected their own jersey last nite. he should not b cheered or booed. Indifference. There should b a defeanin silence when he touches the ball. IMHO again IMHO

That said....When i see the stands at San Siro i cant count the amt of Swedish flags and Zlatan posters so....my team is probably worse mentally than yours.

This reminds me of the whol original Ronaldo situation at INTER. And at least C.Ronaldo has behaved better. Although i think its more down to Ferguson being more of a man and standing firm. While Moratti gave into R9's whims and fancies

and Quetzalcoatl....he does not deserve yrr cheers. Maybe a tempered little applause after he scores a hat trick against Liverpool or Chelsea :D:D or Madrid LOL

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone's dissapointed Ronaldo didn't get jeered.:rollani:
Disappointment? I think my response above explains it was curiosity not disappointment. I am not one of those clowns walkin around hating C.Ronaldo cos of his arrogance. He cant b anywhere as arrogant as I am. great player....all respect to his footballin ability.

Just wonderin how u people would have responded if you yourselves had been at old trafford

Booing would have been just as reckless and detrimental as the cheering was.

Imagine the message the ld Trafford crowd sent to a future star in Man Utd's youth teams. Disrespect us for two whole months but we will still cheer you. As i said above initial indifference would have sent a clear message to C.Ronaldo that he has to regain the respect of the Man Utd faithful.

the massage the crowd sent to him last nite was that of

"I can disrespect these people in these stands anytime i feel like and they will still cheer me"

How is that positive? How does that respect yr famous jersey? How is that showing respect to players like Scholes and Neville and Giggs who would never dream of disrespecting yr jersey like that even if Madrid offered the 500 000 pounds a week.

Although i cant say i know it now for a fact i can say last nite was more evidence abt something i have often heard.

the majority of the Old Trafford faithful seldom represent the sentiments of die hard Mancs

the real blood and guts Ultras

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Imagine the message the ld Trafford crowd sent to a future star in Man Utd's youth teams. Disrespect us for two whole months but we will still cheer you. As i said above initial indifference would have sent a clear message to C.Ronaldo that he has to regain the respect of the Man Utd faithful.

the massage the crowd sent to him last nite was that of

"I can disrespect these people in these stands anytime i feel like and they will still cheer me"

How is that positive? How does that respect yr famous jersey? How is that showing respect to players like Scholes and Neville and Giggs who would never dream of disrespecting yr jersey like that even if Madrid offered the 500 000 pounds a week.
No, you're taking it a bit too far, mate. Ronaldo tried to get his move to Madrid because, as he's always said, from day one, at some point in his career he wants to play in Spain. And that's fair enough no problem. Being an Iberian and all that comes with being Iberian, you can understand that. He didn't grow up a United fan so he's not got the same emmotional attachement to the club that we all have to our respective clubs.

Now, he's won it all in England, an FA Cup, two league titles, one Champions League, a League Cup, two time PFA player of the year, two time player of the year, broke Best's record... he's done the lot, so his thinking was "I've done it all and now I fancy a new challenge, United will get a world record fee and buy someone else so everyone's a winner." that was extremely naive but you can see where he's coming from. But if I'd played for Celtic or Rangers (Sporting) in Scotland and Real Madrid (United) wanted to buy me at 18 years of age, I'd go. Now if I'd spent five years there, won all I could and had two sensational years but Manchester United (Real Madrid) came calling with a world record bid, I'd be doing all I could to get back to England and to play for the club I'd always wanted to play for. So, as I say, I can see where he's coming from.

Our standpoint was and is, we've got a great team here, Ronaldo's the main component and we don't want to break this team up while it's at the age it is. We were never going to sell to Madrid because they acted the *****. So he was told you're not getting your move, he's respected that decision and he's got on with it like a professional.

The only way he's 'disrespected' us was by asking for a move, he's not come out and slagged the manager off like Gareth Barry did, he hasn't virtually gone on strike like Robinho did, and he's not sulked to get his move like Berbatov did. In all honesty going by today's standards, he's conducted himself quite well... I know, I know that's not saying a lot. If he'd acted like one of the aforementioned players then the wankers that populate half of Old Trafford would still applaud him but the other half's reaction would have been quite different.

The thing you have to realise is that players are assets, and that applies to every player at every club, so if you've got the greatest most valuable asset in the world then why not utilise it? It's obvious that the lad's a professional and he'll give 100% - if only for himself - so why not use that? We boo him, or act indifferently towards him then what good does that do overall? None. We showed who we are this summer, we've got nothing to prove. We all know no player is bigger than the club, and we all know that the management call the shots, not the players.

You've got to look at the bigger picture and think what's best for Manchester United, and what's best for Manchester United is for the management to let the players know who's in charge, for the club to let other clubs know that we can't be fcuked with and for us, the supporters, to support the shirt and get behind the team as long as they give 100%.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, you're taking it a bit too far, mate. Ronaldo tried to get his move to Madrid because, as he's always said, from day one, at some point in his career he wants to play in Spain. And that's fair enough no problem. Being an Iberian and all that comes with being Iberian, you can understand that. He didn't grow up a United fan so he's not got the same emmotional attachement to the club that we all have to our respective clubs.

Now, he's won it all in England, an FA Cup, two league titles, one Champions League, a League Cup, two time PFA player of the year, two time player of the year, broke Best's record... he's done the lot, so his thinking was "I've done it all and now I fancy a new challenge, United will get a world record fee and buy someone else so everyone's a winner." that was extremely naive but you can see where he's coming from. But if I'd played for Celtic or Rangers (Sporting) in Scotland and Real Madrid (United) wanted to buy me at 18 years of age, I'd go. Now if I'd spent five years there, won all I could and had two sensational years but Manchester United (Real Madrid) came calling with a world record bid, I'd be doing all I could to get back to England and to play for the club I'd always wanted to play for. So, as I say, I can see where he's coming from.

Our standpoint was and is, we've got a great team here, Ronaldo's the main component and we don't want to break this team up while it's at the age it is. We were never going to sell to Madrid because they acted the *****. So he was told you're not getting your move, he's respected that decision and he's got on with it like a professional.

The only way he's 'disrespected' us was by asking for a move, he's not come out and slagged the manager off like Gareth Barry did, he hasn't virtually gone on strike like Robinho did, and he's not sulked to get his move like Berbatov did. In all honesty going by today's standards, he's conducted himself quite well... I know, I know that's not saying a lot. If he'd acted like one of the aforementioned players then the wankers that populate half of Old Trafford would still applaud him but the other half's reaction would have been quite different.

The thing you have to realise is that players are assets, and that applies to every player at every club, so if you've got the greatest most valuable asset in the world then why not utilise it? It's obvious that the lad's a professional and he'll give 100% - if only for himself - so why not use that? We boo him, or act indifferently towards him then what good does that do overall? None. We showed who we are this summer, we've got nothing to prove. We all know no player is bigger than the club, and we all know that the management call the shots, not the players.

You've got to look at the bigger picture and think what's best for Manchester United, and what's best for Manchester United is for the management to let the players know who's in charge, for the club to let other clubs know that we can't be fcuked with and for us, the supporters, to support the shirt and get behind the team as long as they give 100%.
Good post Newton:thumbsup: you saved me the bother.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if anyone knows players are not fans of clubs its me.

But again....no offence son....just understand...C>Ronaldo disrespected your club no matter how you look at it and the old trafford crowd rewarded him for it. Simple fact. I'm again!!!!

Not saying he should have been booed. Not saying he should have been allowed to go to Madrid. Just saying indifference would havebeen a more productive weapon. But i know how a group of die hard Mancs would have reacted. And how a group of perfectly rational mancs would have reacted.

So no worries.

ha....i know players are assets and r not fans of clubs. But respect is respect. And i am sure Cantona givin the age he grew up in was not a fan of Utd when a child in France. G.Best in his hometown. Maybe not even Giggs in his. But i think respect was just lackin. Respect and being a fan do not have to co-incide.

But anyway...whatever son. We disagree. All the best on the weekend folks

Ciao

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
if anyone knows players are not fans of clubs its me.

But again....no offence son....just understand...C>Ronaldo disrespected your club no matter how you look at it and the old trafford crowd rewarded him for it. Simple fact. I'm again!!!!

Not saying he should have been booed. Not saying he should have been allowed to go to Madrid. Just saying indifference would havebeen a more productive weapon. But i know how a group of die hard Mancs would have reacted. And how a group of perfectly rational mancs would have reacted.

So no worries.

ha....i know players are assets and r not fans of clubs. But respect is respect. And i am sure Cantona givin the age he grew up in was not a fan of Utd when a child in France. G.Best in his hometown. Maybe not even Giggs in his. But i think respect was just lackin. Respect and being a fan do not have to co-incide.

But anyway...whatever son. We disagree. All the best on the weekend folks

Ciao
Ronaldo would respect madrid no more then he would united. Players either give respect or they dont. Most Top players dont respect anybody or anything but their bank balance. Any ones that are good professionals are the exceptions rather then the rule.

Also respect can be shown in differant ways.....

Ronaldhino didnt publically disrespect Barca (as far as I know) but he certainly showed his club no commitement by not keeping himself mentally and physically fit (brazils ronaldo the same).

Players going clubbing in between matchdays is very disrespectful to a profession that thrives on fitness. But that doesnt stop it from being generally overlooked as an action of disrespect.

I wont defend ronaldo for how he behaved over the summer, but I think the only differance between him and most footballers is that hes a bigger player, a better player and somebody whom the press loves to write about.

Hardcore manu fans can forgive as much as ultras cannot, doesnt make somebody any less a fan. Just because he would be booed in differant countries doesnt make those fans anymore part of the club. At the end of the day the most important thing is the club.

I dont like Ronaldo for what happened but United need him (particularly in light of their season start) and thats all that matters now. If united had won all their games this season he may of gotten a differant reception (not saying thats right).

Fergie thought keeping ronaldo was more important then selling him and united fans trust his judgement, that in the end is what its all about. In a world were managers are seen as expendible after a couple of dodgy results, its nice to see the united fans are educated and committed enough to show complete confidence in their manager . . Not all Ultras have to be thick . . .

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just for the record when i say ultras i dont mean only italian or latino fans or serbians or any group who actually call themselves ultras

Talkin abt all hard core fans.

Neither am i sayin how they wudda reacted is best or rational

A rational fan would always do what they think is best for the club. Hence rational is relative to an individuals interpretation of the word and their state of mind

So no judgments at all

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
just for the record when i say ultras i dont mean only italian or latino fans or serbians or any group who actually call themselves ultras

Talkin abt all hard core fans.

Neither am i sayin how they wudda reacted is best or rational

A rational fan would always do what they think is best for the club. Hence rational is relative to an individuals interpretation of the word and their state of mind

So no judgments at all
Fair enough, point taken.

Thing is that hardcore fans dont always have the clubs best interests at heart, even if they mean well. Calling for managers to be sacked and booing players in certain instances can be counter productive.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair enough, point taken.

Thing is that hardcore fans dont always have the clubs best interests at heart, even if they mean well. Calling for managers to be sacked and booing players in certain instances can be counter productive.
beautifully said and i 100% agree

saw it happen to two promisin youths Emre and Dalmat who both turned out to be mediocre players when they both showed as much promise or more than most players did at 22 and 20

hard core fans are not always rational in terms of doin what is best for the team

and are also a bit deluded and self important and myopic in thinking people who think like them r the only ones worthy of being called real fans....thats pathetic

so the above was not a sermon tryin to tell Old Trafford what is right or wrong

i just said what my personal opinion is and asked what was the general opinion here.

So again

No offence people.....did o mention i am praying to meet u people in the C.L.? lol Ciao

1 - 20 of 45 Posts