Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New season, many new faces. The team has filled up all their gaps except for at 2nd base where it will be a battle between Kaz Matsui or young talent Anderson Hernandez and also right field in some what of a question mark. The bullpen got slightly better and the starting rotation looks good.

The pitchers and catchers report, some players came early to St. Lucie (don't know why, the town is boring as hell :eek: ) and in a few weeks spring training starts. The Mets open their season on April 3rd, at home against NL East rivals Washington Nationals.

In
- Bill Wagner, pitcher (free agent)
- Carlos Delgado, 1B (trade; Marlins get Mike Jacobs, Yusiemero Petit and a PTBNL)
- Xavier Nady, OF (trade; Padres get Mike Cameron)
- Paul LoDuca, C (tade; Marlins gets two PTBNL)
- Mitch Wylie, RHP (Rule 5 draft)
- Julio Franco, 1B (free agent)
- Chad Bradford, RHP (free agent)
- Duaner Sanchez, RHP (trade; Dodgers get Jae Seo and Tim Hamuleck)
- Yusaku Iriki, RHP, (Japan)
- Jorge Julio and John Maine, Pitchers (trade; Orioles get Kris Benson)
- Jose Lima :D, RHP (free agent)

Out
- Felix Heredia, Kaz Ishii, Tyler Yates released
- Mike Piazza (Padres)
- Mike Cameron (Padres)
- Kris Benson (Orioles)
- Braden Looper (Cardinals)
- Miguel Cairo (Yankees)
- Marlon Anderson (Nationals)

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the 40 man roster, of these 40 players, only 25 will make the opening day team, the other 15 will either go down to the minors or be released, also the 40 man roster means these players are protected in the Rule 5 draft next winter. The trick is, if you number is 60 or higher, you have a little chance ;)

40 Man Roster
Pitchers
61 Brian Bannister (RHP)
19 Heath Bell (RHP)
35 Chad Bradford (RHP)
43 Bartolome Fortunado (RHP)
58 Anderson Garcia (RHP)
47 Tom Glavine (LHP)
48 Aaron Heilman (RHP)
62 Philip Humber (RHP)
49 Yusaku Iriki (RHP
34 Jorge Julio (RHP)
67 Matt Lindstrom (RHP)
33 John Maine (RHP)
45 Pedro Martinez (RHP)
68 Henry Owens (RHP)
28 Juan Padilla (RHP)
66 Michael Pelfrey (LHP)
57 Juan Perez (LHP)
22 Royce Ring (LHP)
50 Duaner Sanchez (RHP)
46 Steve Schmoll (RHP)
29 Steve Trachsel (RHP)
13 Billy Wagner (LHP)
59 Mitch Wylie (RHP)
38 Victor Zambrano (RHP)
Catchers
11 Ramon Castro
16 Paul LoDuca
Infielders
21 Carlos Delgado
23 Julio Franco
1 Anderson Hernandez
6 Jeff Keppinger
25 Kazuo Matsui
7 Jose Reyes
18 Jose Valentin
4 Chris Woodward
5 David Wright
Outfielders
15 Carlos Beltran
10 Endy Chavez
20 Victor Diaz
30 Cliff Floyd
22 Xaveir Nady

Well the catcher position and outfield position are basically decided, pitching is where the real fight is going to be and the infield will be a fight for 2nd base and the back up slots, so the team is pretty much set

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mets owner Fred Wilpon says this is a playoff team and he has full confidence in Willie Randolph and the players.

Pedro Martinez is in camp but he is not involved in the work outs for a few days and apparently Kaz Matsui hit a bomb off Billy Wagner in batting practice :D

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even try because I knew they would be sold out in 5-10 minutes. I am going to May 25th game against the Phillies, and maybe 20 more :cool:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hajduk..if you want tixs for OD, what you do is check the website about 2 weeks before the season..that's when they release all the tickets from the 6 pack plans..I got Mezz Box last year..Good Luck

AND LET'S GO METS

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minaya says the 2nd base position and the #5 starter position will be open for anybody. Well so far, although only 4 games have been played, I'd give those to Anderson Hernandez and Aaron Heilman. Also, Xavier Nady is having a good spring. Today's game will be on WFAN radio.

Also, when is this new Mets channel coming?

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
who?

monte I see you are interested in who supports the Mets, well here are the ones I know:
Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart (comedian, host of Daily Show) Marc Anthony (singer) Bill O'Reilly (news anchor) John McEnroe (tennis player) Kevin James (actor) Luther Vandross (singer but he died) Chris Kanyon (wrestler) and a lot of latin singers and rappers and oh yeah the Beastie Boys :D

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mets lose to Puerto Rico in a spring training game, not really worried obviously as we got to see many prospects play in the game

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I don't watch the show but I know Kevin James from his comedy routines and he often jokes about the Mets/Shea Stadium

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
Well I don't watch the show but I know Kevin James from his comedy routines and he often jokes about the Mets/Shea Stadium
Its one of the best shows around ;)

ps-funny to see Beltran playing for Puerto Rico against the Mets :tongue:

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
former Met star Doc Gooden is in jail again, its sad but again he has had so many chances and he blew it again

·
Registered
615 Posts
When Doc came up around 83-84 with Strawberry ..I said here is 2 guys ready for the HOF...what a shame....and we got rid of Lenny Dykstra, Kevin Mitchell , Wally Backman and Ray Knight instead of the cocaine 2...

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Strawberry at least changed his life around, he doesn't go to jail every other week and he is now coaching youngsters in minor league camp.

Gooden just never got through his addiction

The new Mets network launches in 2 hours

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kaz Matsui is out for 3 weeks so that means either Anderson Hernandez or Jeff Keppinger will be the starting second baseman.

Keppinger is a contact hitter and he impressed with his stint with the Mets in 2004 but last year he missed most of the season due to injury but he did hit .350 in AAA. He defense is decent but better than Matsui

Hernandez was a September call-up last year, came in the trade with the Tigers for Vance Wilson. He went 1 for 17 but he has impressed this spring, good speed and good defense.

Other than 2nd base their is competition for the starting right fielder, the 5th starter and some bullpen spots and Willie Randolph says the bullpen might have no lefties! (what happened with Royce Ring?!)

·
Registered
69,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to one Mets beat writer, Bannister will be the #5 starter and Heilman will go to the pen. Bannister is a good pitcher in the minors, lets see if he can have the same stuff in the majors, he has had a good spring

1 - 20 of 147 Posts