Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Sky Sports:

FC Nurnberg are thought to be tracking two of Maccabi Haifa's stars.

Michael Zandberg and Xavier Dirsau have both become targets for the Bundesliga outfit after strong displays for the Israeli side this term.

Zandberg is an Israeli international midfielder and has been a member of Maccabi's set-up since 2002 while Brazilian Dirsau is a holding midfielder.

Both players could move to the Franken Stadion in the close season after coach Hans Meyer made his interest known for the pair.
Sky Sports

I´m definitely no expert in Israeli football, so can someone give some information about them? How´s your league in comparison to the Bundesliga in Germany?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two players from the forthcoming champion in Israel. :thumbsup: They can´t be bad. Do they always play in the starting 11? Would Haifa fans miss those two?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
First and foremost its nice to see a German in the Israeli thread! It would be nice to see both of them in Germany. The Bundesliga consists of more physical play and the use of good one touch passing. The Israeli league has many technical players, in both of these players cases they can make some great passes and they are very good. Particularly Zandberg who has had one of his best seasons! His presence on the pitch this season has been brilliant, Dirsau's presence was not as felt as Zandberg, but he is still a good player and they would both do well in Nurnberg. Zandberg was already rumoured to go to Kaiserslautern. Both will be missed by Haifa, but i think Nurnberg will have to make an attractive offer. I just read that Haifa offered Dirsau a 2 year contract and Zandberg has been playing so well that it will really take a good offer have them sell him.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Good call.
Zandberg is a very cosnsistant player and had a terrific season.

Nothing would be more rewarding to see him g oand play in the german leauge :)
would be a treat

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your two opinions about Zandberg and Dirsau. :) Someone from the official FC Nürnberg board found a sentence about Zandberg that said that he gained interest from teams in the English premiership. If that´s true the offer of the FCN has to be attractive, you´re right with that.
Our problem is that we aren´t able compare the Israeli league to middle european leagues. ;) But I think I heard something that the Israeli football is catching up in the last years.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
we've improved, and in case you haven't heard, this season has been full of activity regarding money. Gaidamak, a russian businessman, bought Beitar Jerusalem and brought many skilled European players. Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea, has had some interest in Hapoel Tel-Aviv, and Maccabi Netanya has recieved attention from a German jewish businessman. So we might see alot of quality players and managers coming to Israel. In hopes that we can improve our image in Europe, and succeed in UEFA competitions

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Certainly Israeli football has improved a lot in the last years and today we are no more weak side where the big teams say we would be a walkover. But we know that we still have a lot to improve in order to reach the level of the best NT teams and clubs. Like Yarok siad, in our league we have many talented players, but sometimes we lose these players because here they lack the right discipline and organization in the pitch that the Germans have for example. Zandberg is a good player, played for Maccabi Haifa in the Uefa Champions League in the past and has a good number of caps for the Israeli NT. I believe it would be a good signing for Nurnberg. Haifa would feel a lot his departure. Dirceu is a good player, but not so technical, he is more a tackle player that fights a lot in midfield. So it depends on what exactly Nurnberg wants.

Cheers, nice to have a visit from a german mate in our forum :)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
berko said:
Cheers, nice to have a visit from a german mate in our forum :)
Thanks. :)

There are rarely news about the Israeli league on the sports pages, so I haven´t heard about Gaidamak or that Abramowitsch wanted to buy Hapoel, but now I remember the qualification games for the World Cup against France or Switzerland. Your team played a decent qualification round.
The Euro qualification won´t be easy, as I have looked for your opponents in your group. But you could make a surprise against Russia, Croatia and England.

Maccabi Haifa had bad luck against Malmö in the CL qualification that season. That must have been interesting games (2-3, 2-2). I hope you have more luck next time like in the season 02/03 where you got a 3-0 over ManU! :eek: Can´t remember that.

About Zandberg and Dirsau... it´s only a rumour on the Sky Sports page and here in Nürnberg we haven´t heard anything about both players so far. It´s a bit strange, because we don´t really need an offensive midfielder and a defensive midfielder so much, but let´s see who´s going to leave us in summer. I think our coach and the manager know what they have to do. ;)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today there´s the first article that links the FCN and players from Maccabi Haifa in the German press... but it´s only the "BILD" Zeitung. :D So those news have to be handled carefully. ;)

The article says that a Nürnberg scout is in Israel, more exactly in Haifa, and he keeps an eye on Michael Zandberg and the keeper Vincent Enyeama. So, according to the article, Xavier Dirsau isn´t on the list of the FCN scout.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Enyeama would be a real steal if you got him. I know he preferes England and his name came up with several different clubs, latest rumour I heard was Wigan but Arsenal also wanted him before.
He's too good for the Israeli league that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
If a Nurnberg scout is watching Zandberg today, then I hope he really impresses against Netanya

just suprises me that the Israeli press hasn't said anything about this. Usually they love spreading rumours about these type of things

·
Registered
93 Posts
why does nuernberg look for a new goalkeeper? i thought schaefer is playing quite solid and they surely won't bring enyeama as a backup for him - he's way too good for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
philipp said:
why does nuernberg look for a new goalkeeper? i thought schaefer is playing quite solid and they surely won't bring enyeama as a backup for him - he's way too good for that.
Yes Schaefer is actually very strong at the moment, but our current second goalie will leave after the season and management is looking for a keeper that will put more pressure on Schaefer.

We also have a young and talented keeper who plays with the german under 20 team, but he has no experience at all.

However Enyeama would have it very difficult in Germany, because there's a long tradition with world class goalies and people still think that goalies from outside Germany or Europe are quite bad.

I personally know that this has changed a lot and I also think that Enyeama is a very good goalie and would be happy about him. He may not see himself as a second goalie, but he never played in one of the top leagues before so it would be quite hard to be number one from the start there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Back to Zandberg is he a left foot player? What's exactly his position? Does he have many defensive tasks or is he allowed to concentrate on his offensive abilities?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
cyberiad said:
Back to Zandberg is he a left foot player? What's exactly his position? Does he have many defensive tasks or is he allowed to concentrate on his offensive abilities?
Yes Zanberg is a left footed player, normally he plays as a left winger or as central playmaker tending always to stay in the left. He doesn´t have a lot of defensive qualities, but he certainly runs a lot in the pitch and puts effort so if he is being told to mark he will do it. Even though it would be a waste. If you wanted a technical player and that has good defensive skills this player would be Idan Tal, IMO the key player at Maccabi Haifa. But he has just signed with Bolton.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the information! It was completely new to me that he is left footed.

Well I actually don't know what we are looking for ;) I think the management tries to get good players which are not well-known already, but have a high potential.

We usually play a 3-4-3 where Zandberg could also be one of the attackers. But it is still not clear what may happen next season, because our coach may retire and with a new coach the system and everything else may be very different

·
Registered
49 Posts
I nearly forgot a very important question ;)

How many goals did he make this season and the previous ones? Unfortunately I couldn't find any statistics about the Israeli league.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
This season he's had 9 goals, which isn't bad for a midfielder. Its been a good season and he's been a fire. He's been a solid player, but this season he really stepped it up. Compare it to last season where he had 5 goals. He's really determined to succeed, and if he goes to Germany i don't think he'll lack any motivation to work harder to prove himself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts