Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o jogo is reporting that Nuno Gomes has been sold to Fiorentina.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
FIORENTINA RE-ENTER GOMES RACE
by Graeme Bailey

EXCLUSIVE
ITALIAN giants Fiorentina are set to re-join the race to sign Portuguese ace Nuno Gomes, who is currently one of the most wanted players in Europe.
French side Bordeaux were the most recent club to declare their interest, and they join Fenerbahce, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Deportivo La Coruna, Real Sociedad and Fiorentina in the hunt for the Benfica striker.

The Viola have just lost out to Real Madrid for the signature of Real Mallorca's Argentinian Diego Tristan, and are now hoping to secure the signing of Gomes.

Fiorentina president Vittorio Cecchi Gori has already met with his Benfica counterpart Joao Vale e Azvedo and, according to reports from Portugal, the pair are close to agreeing a deal.

The Florence side had been put off by the £9.9 million figure being asked by the Portuguese side, but Fatih Terim's men are lacking a striker since the departure of Gabriel Batistuta and are now prepared to meet the asking price.

Gomes himself has stated that he would love to stay with Benfica, but it now looks certain that one of the stars of Euro 2000 is destined to leave the Estadio da Luz.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i always knew benfica were planning all along to sell Gomes to finance their summer signings.

the same with sporting and duscher.

looks like you'll be getting as much for nuno as porto got for jardel, that's gotta piss off portistas everywhere.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't think Nuno Gomes will will very succesful in Italy for some reason, I think his style of play would be more suited to the premier league.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Man why is everyone thinking negatively about Nuno Gomes!?
I really didnt want him 2 leave but if he had to then bad luck :(

I think he'll do good with Rui Costa therwe giving the through balls :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can't feel happy to see good Portuguese players going away as soon as they get international attention. But what the heck... he'll gain more experience, and perhaps get back soon.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Wow 19 million for Nuno, that's 2 million more than Jardel. JVA is a shark :)! We all knew after Euro that Nuno was on the block, the question was only one of price! That's why Van Hoodjink was contracted...

Nuno is a great player, and he will do well in Italy. Always under rated in POrtugal until now. However I like the deal cause it gives Benfica more flexibility...possibly Dani from Ajax now with the cash, and I hope they can close out the Meira situation.

I also like the fact that Porto lost Leandro who from what I heard is very explosive...this deal was positive.

As to keeping stars in Portugal unless you're the legend Joao Vieira Pinto that's almost impossible to do with the money that Spain and Italy throw around!

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Hi,
This is my first post, and not a bad subject to do it on. This is Benfica's first positive sale in years. Nuno Gomes is a fine young player, but I do not believe he will become an elite world class striker(ala Batistuta,Owen,Shearer). With his value at an all time high because of his Euro 2000 goal total, this was the perfect time to cash in.

If Gomes was still on the club this fall, Benfica would not recieve full value for him. By then the memory of his goals against England and France would begin to fade, and so to would the desire of big clubs to pick him up. If I thought Nuno Gomes was ready to become a consistent 25-35 goal scorer in the liga I would be upset. As it is I say farewell to our exciting, but very inconsistent, striker.

Hopefully the cash will be used wisely. There is a new vacancy up front and I still feel that the defence can use some shoring up. Let us also not forget about the debt that the club is in.

Fetching such a large sum for Gomes almost makes up for JVA's bungling of the Souness/English players, Luhzny and Hugo Leal situations.......almost.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Welcome AXP 103...love your nick...it sounds like you're a robot from Star Wars or something of that nature :)

We can always use more Benfiquistas...You're right at this time I think that Benfica maximized on the sale of Nuno. Although he will not be Batigol, I don't know anyone who is??, I think Nuno is going to do well. He'll grow his game even further in Italy and can become a premier striker for our Select team as he proved in Euro 2000.

Either way I think it was a win-win for both Benfica and Nuno although we are going to miss him.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Welcome APX103. Benfiquistas are always welcome. ;)

I also agree. I’m gonna miss Nuno :(, but the money will surly come in handy. I am not sure if Nuno will do well in Italy, but the deal is excellent for Benfica (financially at least).

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Welcome aboard AXP103!

While I am dissapointed to see Nuno leave, I agree with your point re: his current value on the transfer market. I think another benefit to this move is that it will team him up with Rui Costa. Playing every day with a player of RC's ability can only be good for the national squad. One of the reasons Holland was/is so strong as a national side is that until this summer, you had 5 or 6 national side regulars at Barcelona playing together every day. If NG & RC could build some chemistry at Fio, it should hopefully carry over to the WC02 qualifiers.

BENFICA E O GLORIOSO!

http://www.benficacentral.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts