Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, unfortunately one more Portuguese player away. Vale e Azevedo found a way of compensating the wholes in his pocket and give Heynckes some more players. I never thought they would let him go away. But then, so I did with JV Pinto...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I hope this isn't too early for him, but I think he is ready and with Manuel in the Fiorentina team he will at least have someone he can talk to in Portuguese.

It will be difficult cos as we all know there is hardly any space in Italian defences for him to move around in....unlike the spacious defences of Beira Mar, Setubal etc... So he will have to work on his movement skills and strength as well as goalscoring.

Good luck Nuno from a Portista :)

L

·
0 Posts
Personally, i think Serie A will eat him alive, as much as I hate to say it. I think it would have been a better move for him if he had gone to Aston Villa.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well guys in Euro2000 the best defenders of their countries are there and they wouldn't let the strikers move but Nuno Gomes still scored 7 goals (3 disallowed). So y dont u guys think he will do good?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I really dont think he will have much chances in this Fiorentina squad... maybe in 2 or 3 years he will be a starter but now they have Chiesa,Mijatovic,Leandro & i think that as Forentina are in a process of re-building the squad they need a bit more experince...

Look all i can say is blame that thing that is baptised as BENFICA president that guy is Fu(king up our soccer day by day & while he is in charge 4get it...

I keep saying this but in PORTUGAL there needs to be a policy that a player cant leave 4 overseas untill he is 25 i am just as pissed off as all u BENFICISTAS are i've had enough of this sh!t players are always leaving and wat do they do over seas nothing...

u guys remeber that goalkeeper NUNO who played 4 v.guimaraes he went 2 Corunha wat happened there. This is the problem with our soccer they dont adapt and then wat happens they are flops which then starts giving Portuguese soccer a bad name !!!

BTW ALL THE BEST NUNO U MAKE OUR COUNRTY PROUD !!!

FROM A 100 % PORTISTA

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he has a chance of doing well in Italy. If well backed up he can do quite a lot of damage, and he has good players like Mijatovic to play with. With Rui Costa and Toldo, Nuno is one more of Fiorentina's new aquisitions for 5 years.

Oh geeez, our football here is getting more sucked every day....

·
International
5,629 Posts
You guys are still under rating the best Portuguese striker since Fernando Gomes (Nuno's Gomes name is given to him after Fernando cause in actuality his last name is Ribeiro):(

What more does the kid need to do. He has averaged 20 goals each year in Portugal, when he finally got a chance at the select team he buried almost all of his opportunities and you're telling me he can't succeed in Italy :confused:

He will have a better midfield in Fio than Benfica...I don't think he'll put up Batigol numbers but he will score 15-20 goals.

In my opinion JVA was a master with this move, who we all knew it was coming after Nuno's performance in euro. He got more money for Nuno than Porto did for Jardel :D
This move gives Benfica flexibility to go after Dani or perhaps another midfielder.

As for young talent leaving well we know Portugal just can't compete with Italian Lire and Spanish Pesos...we just hope that the young stars do well.

I think Nuno will succeed cause he's 24 and a family man unlike most of the others who leave at 20 or 21 to go score with women instead of their team...forca Nuno

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
This is a crushing mistake.

I'm very frustrated at Benfica's (or, Portugal's, in general) inability to hold on to it's young talent.

I don't know how anyone can view this as anything other than an organization that continues to prove to be inept in terms of judgement of it's personnel.

This is very dispointing news to Benfica fans (and Portugal). :(

·
International
5,629 Posts
Why is this disappointing? Benfica got 19 million for Nuno...now they can seal the Meira deal and get Dani. Forward wise we'll be okay. We still have Joao Tomas, Van Hoo, and Toy (not your dog) not to mention Sabry/Miguel/Carlitos/Maniche/Poborsky in the attacking midfield.

We'll be fine...either way we're better than Porto who at the moment are sending me a fax for a contract to be their striker.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It's a hollow monetary victory.

I feel a spiritual loss everytime I see a young Portugues talent leave to go play in Italy (or, Spain). We should have countered and overpaid Nuno for the mere fact that we'd have kept a Benfica Product. Besides, I was looking forward to the Gomes/ Van Doink combination.

I'm not sold on Dani. He did squat in Ajax.

As for you a Porto forward... Benfica and Sporting fans can only hope you sign. :D

Toy??? Is he as smart as my dog? Doubt it. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
what you all seem to have conveniently forgot is that JVA HAD to sell Nuno.

The player wanted to leave because he was DISGUSTED with the way the club had treated JVP.

say he'd stayed on a big contract, if in 3 years time he had a bad season you would all be calling for him to be sacked as well because of his huge contract.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Nuno didn't give a flying you know what over the JVP situation. In fact he was probably happy over it because now he would have been Da Man. The reason Benfica couldn't keep him was the money...Benfica couldn't afford to keep him, it would put them more in the whole than ever...besides it's not about the players it's about the club. This allows Benfica more flexibility, plus although we lose a great player, another will step up, because greatness at Benfica is a constant :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
a constant greatness? Is greatness defined as finishing either 2nd or 3rd in the league the past 6 years....or how about losing 7-0 in the UEFA Cup...I guess thats greatness ;)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Half of the Benfica team wouldn't get into FC Porto "B" let alone our first team. These Benfica idiots love to siht stir but look what happens - like Marco said - 2nd or 3rd in the league and a UEFA Cup exit every year. Did Benfica actually win a home game in last year's UEFA Cup??

Benfica made Portuguese football look so embarrasing with that 7-0 drubbing and thanx to that result we are struggling to tempt top players into this league and no wonder Gomes, Jardel, Vidigal & co are leaving Portugal with embarrasments like Benfica in this league.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I'm falling off my seat laughing here :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If you listen carefully you can hear him beating his chest. Can you hear it? Be afraid, be very afraid!

B

·
0 Posts
I'm happy to see Nuno Gomes go! I think he's a great young player and he won't be on Benfica which is a good thing! What's the problem Benfica got plenty of cheese for him and one thing Benfica needs is money! He'll be great in Italy and will make an even bigger name for himself! I don't think he'll be eaten up in Italy because if that was the case then he wouldn't have done nothing at Euro 2000, right!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Ooooooooooooooooh someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning :)

You need a long holiday mate, or maybe a one way ticket to Rio, or even worse, Lisboa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts