Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Barcelona coach Johan Cruyff is convinced that the club’s president Josep Lluis Nunez will pay the price of another European failure.

Cruyff, who was sacked by Barcelona in 1996, still lives a 10-minute drive from the Nou Camp and has indicated his willingness to support an anti-Nunez front in the club’s next elections. Barcelona’s 107,000 club members elect their president by a system of one member, one vote.

Reflecting two days after Barcelona limped out of the Champions League against Valencia, Cruyff said: "Nunez has wounded too many hearts. The club’s whole situation is a balloon that could explode at any moment."

Most clubs would be delighted with a Champions League semi-final, especially after two consecutive league titles. But coach Louis Van Gaal’s failure to get the best out of a tailor-made squad - not to mention his arrogant demeanour and treatment of local players - has won him no friends. Except Nunez, his prime advocate.

Worst of all, Real Madrid, the only rivals Barcelona fans really care about, have now reached their second Champions League final in Van Gaal’s three seasons at the Nou Camp.

Cruyff said: "When I was coach the fans never barracked me or waved white handkerchiefs in protest, because there were lots of Catalan players in my team. Barcelona fans do not attack their own, even when they’re losing."

Dutch players Bodo Zenden and Frank De Boer and their former Ajax team mate Jari Litmanen were all barracked mercilessly during the game against Valencia. The biggest ovation of the night was for local boy Sergi Barjuan, a player relegated to the bench by the Dutch invasion, when he came on in the second half.

Cruyff said: "Van Gaal’s position is bad because it depended totally on a good result against Valencia. If Barca had won the fans would have tolerated him for another couple of weeks, but he lost their hearts long ago."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This says enough i think. Nunez can't support Van Gaal anymore if he wants to be president.. But who will be their new coach then ? Maybe Van Gaal gets one more chance to get the title.. What do you guys think. Will he get one more chance ??

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 12-05-2000).]

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
It depends...
I think Nunez will keep VG if Barça wins the league for the third consecutive year, otherwise he will sack VG...

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
If the president is elected by the fans, so why the hell someone who has devoted his whole life to the great catalan club as Cruyff will not run for president???He would be the best president as he knows the club, loves it with all his heart and respected like no one by the demanding Barca fans!
It's long past time that Nunez and that moroon of VG leaves with his Ajax pupills!
Forza Magico Milan!
Forza Cruyff!
Forza Cruyff's Barca!
Allez Les Bleus!
Arriba Espana!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts