Xtratime Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A comment Pila made about athletic ability on another thread got me to thinking about what the training regimen is like for our, or for that matter other NT's, is like. Does anyone know? Are these guys required to run a minimum # of kilometers per day, train heavy one day, light the next, do resistance weight training? It would be interesting to know.

I've long suspected that the elite football players of the world still mainly focus on stamina and skills, without paying much attention to overall body strength. I believe the first club or NT that focuses on weight training the upper body as well as the legs, will see a huge result. Track stars and hockey players have gone through it in the 15 or 20 years, and the level of competition has increased in those sports.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Strength training in soccer has come a huge way. Training is extremely specialized and include practically every aspect of conditioning, including highly designed diets of protein, fat, carbs, amino acids and every known substitute and supplement imaginable not banned by FIFA.

All players are now required to strength train their entire body - it's no longer a secret that strength training is key to longevity and injury free career.

In addition, most athletes are given strict regiments for off season drills outs that help with speed, quickeness and endurance, in addition to lifting. Just like in the NFL, players are fined if they show up to camp overweight and out of shape.

Still, 90% is mental. One's level of dedication is often the 1 degree of seperation between good players and great players.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watching the main man play right now against B.L. I don't know if his ankle is bothering him again, but he seems to be so easy to knock off the ball these days. Not like himself. Is he shamming ;)

REAL leads 2-1, I know, totally off topic, but I did mention the ankle which is kind of about conditioning.

Zidane just scored an amazing goal!!!!!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I agree. Article on Portuguesesoccer.com says he will spend the interval between now and the start getting therapy and training. I hope Oliveira is smart enough to keep the training light and NOT play him in the friendly against China. I think the value of their playing together against the Chinese would not outweigh an additional 10 days of uninterrupted rest.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tinto said:
Yes I agree. Article on Portuguesesoccer.com says he will spend the interval between now and the start getting therapy and training. I hope Oliveira is smart enough to keep the training light and NOT play him in the friendly against China. I think the value of their playing together against the Chinese would not outweigh an additional 10 days of uninterrupted rest.
Tinto,

I can't agree more. I would love to see Figo just rest for the next 7-10 days, and then resume training.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Yes the next 3 weeks aree going to be vital for us. Figo must not kick a ball for 10 days and receive around the clock attention to his ankle, I would play him in atleast the 2nd half V China , Rui & Nuno are fit but There should be no tackles laid on them in training for the next 5 - 7 days

Meanwhile, USA & Poland have lost key midfielders for the WC whilst Polands Keeper Dudek ( Who I rate the best in the world at the moment) has hurt his knee but is in doubt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.