Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you satisfied with savicevic 's job guys ?

Have you noticed an improvement to our NT ?

what is the most arguable for you in savicevic's choices, tactivcal and human choices ?

what and who gives you the most satisfaction ?

argue

-------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
To be honest I'm satisfied with Savicevic's job so far but not with the national team. I think we played well against all the teams in qualifying but the strikers were not clinical enough as we dominated matches but could not finish opponents off bar Luxembourg and Faroe Islands. And altough alot of people have said to get rid of Savicevic would be wrong as our national team needs stability, we almost change our coach every few months.
We also need to rebuild our team around certain players like Stankovic and Kezman who will most certainly be our srtongest players i for possibly the next decade and altough people say get rid of the older players, we should keep a couple to add experience to the side.
I think that the main problem to the situation is money. There is a lack of money, the country's economy is still not strong and there is not alot of money to go into grass root levels to improve boys that have the potential.
And on a side note, I am dissapointed that Bojan Djordic has chosed to play for Sweden. I have seen him play a couple of times and he is a great left winger. His dad used to play for Zvezda I think and I think that it is a slap in the face that he has chosen a country that he had moved than the country he was born and where his parents are from.

Tell me what you think.

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
Well, I was really mad at Dejo at one point, but I think I have cooled down a bit, I know the NT is rebuilding right now, but that is why I believe we should be introducing youngsters and getting rid of Jokanovic, Mijatovic and Mihajlovic, who aren't even regulars in their respective clubs.
That is my main objection for now.
The second one is that our team still seems to be playing that slow, old and dull type of football, our players can't cope when their opponents are playing an aggressive game putting pressure on our players when they have the ball (this was very obvious against Holland) - our players seem to panic and don't know what to do with the ball in moments like that, I am wondering where have those wonderful skills and passing we were known for before disappeared??

But, as I said, I know Dejo has just started and I hope he will fix this up.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for me he's doing the right job. we still cannot see all the results of his work but he's doing well.
he's rebuilding the team from the back, from the defense and that's a good point for him : mirkovic-krstajic with mihajlovic (but he will soon go) it is solid and strong.
the team of course lacks of pace, percussion, rapidity but it comes only when the players know each other by the heart.

look at france : their main advantage and quality that raise them
above any opponent is the pace, the ability of accelerating the game, when they want and how they want. it's really amazing !
individually the french players are not so fast part from thuram, henry, pires , lizarazu and wiltord (5 players) ! -curiously you'll notice that these players usually play on the wings...-
their football is fast !
they make the ball run and not the players.
i remember that michel platini's sentence : "may father always said to me : "the ball will always be faster than you : so don't run with the ball but make the ball run !""

savicevic's tactics is generally 3-5-2 because it is very manageable. but i'm not sure it's the tactics he prefers...
he tried a 4-4-2 against mexico in the beginning of the game but after the first mexican opportunity he came back to the 3-5-2...
currently, the world best teams have good guys at this position : france, brazil, italy, even argentina.
4-4-2 is the best system certainly if you have the suitable players.
4-5-1 is excellent too like at Deportivo La Coruña or like France...

we lack left and right backs, it's obvious. we could try markovic but who would dejo put on the left ?
i would like you to answer that question

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Defensively the team has drastically improved since Euro 2000, and if Jevric can keep up the same form he showed against Brazil, then we finally have an adequate solution for a goalkeeper. I think it's safe to say that currently defense is not the main issue anymore.

Tightening up at the back has left much to be desired offensively. Our current game and style is dull and boring, it is an insult to Brazil whenever Yugoslavia is referred to as the "Brazilians of Europe" and I am being as subtle as possible. The midfield is nonexistant and constantly fails to establish a presence. There is no fluid transition between defense and offense. We need much more pace and imagination added to our game if we plan on achieving any worthy results.

As critical as I am about our recent performances, I remain optimistic that Savicevic (if he stays long enough) will create a modern and attractive team capable of playing some beautiful offensive football. It will just take time and a lot of experimenting. I think the raw ingredients are there, it is just a matter of mixing everything together properly.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think you're right nibble. the team needs time. to create a cohesion, a mood, a style, a pace.

france (you'll notice it's the example i prefer) used to be criticized a lot before 98. exactly the same reproaches had been heard at this time : "dull and boring".
but the france FA respected its choice and maintained its trust in him : aimé jacquet.
they entrusted him with time and patience.
he had to face the most humiliating insults from the sport medias : some said he was unable to manage a national team and to handle such a task only because of his modest, low class origins !

but with time we know that we can build teams : look at France. they are the striking example. individually, they don't have more talent than brazil, argentina, holland or italy, but they have a team. they play like a team. every player know each other by the heart and you see it on the field. now france will be a strong football power for a long while just because they integrate players progressively, slowly in order they can grow up and improve in the best conditions surrounded by experienced and charismatic players.
since 98, even 96, the franch squad hasn't changed a lot. only 5 players moved since 98, among them 2 retired !

and we bemoan because there is not enough youngsters in the squad even though only 7 players (stankovic, mihajlovic, jokanovic, kezman, mijatovic, milosevic, kovacevic) are left from the euro 2000 campaign ! that means 15 new players !
how could we play an harmonious and mastered (offensive) style
when the last squad's members haven't played more than 5 games together ?!
we should be happy that the defensive problem is almost sold and that savicevic stopped our defensive bleeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts